PDA

View Full Version : I might have some form of autism.

JusticeandMercy
September 15th, 2014, 12:18 AM
So there's a thing at my school called STAR Team and it's basically to help kids who are struggling in school, where a student is assigned to a teacher and they meet at least once a month to talk about their grades and other school-related things, and at one of the meetings, my teacher mentioned my parents thinking I had an autism disorder.
Then she started describing some of the signs of autism, like repetitive movements. She then paused for a second and I realized I was rocking in my chair (and then I got embarrassed and tried to sit still...).
Then she mentioned a lack of social skills, which anyone who's met me in person can tell you I have.
She also said people with autism often have trouble understanding what someone means when they say something, and I remembered all of the times I'd said to her or others "What do you mean?" (I also avoided asking that for the rest of the day for the same reason I tried sitting still... >///< )
She mentioned some other things, like autism running in families (and apparently my younger brother has a disorder on the spectrum, although I don't really know much about that) but those are the ones I remember most vividly.

It's not really been brought up much since then, and I haven't been tested for anything, but I'm kind of curious now? Little scared to ask the teacher or my parents about it though.

Karkat
September 15th, 2014, 01:46 AM
It seems possible, but other things could account for it as well :P There are actually quite a few of us on the spectrum here (or likely- I've never been diagnosed, but everyone seems to think there's a good possibility, and I DO have ADHD, I stim, I have sensory issues, I probably have dyspraxia. I can empathize with those on the spectrum.) so I'm sure you'll be provided with good resources if you have any questions :)

A few things to consider:

-Autism, especially at higher functioning levels isn't always understood or taken seriously.
-It's also heavily stereotyped. Don't get discouraged and think you're just a "freak" if someone says "you can't have autism because (insert stereotype)" or assumes you're "stupid" (or calls you a "retard") because of it.
-Don't assume that just because you can function on a higher level than someone else who is autistic, your issues (whether they are actually due to autism or not) aren't valid (This goes for just about everything. Everything. Like this is really good for just about anything in life. Take art. Say you can draw people REALLY WELL, but you have problems drawing animals. Some people might mock you for this 'problem' that doesn't seem like a problem to them, because in their mind, you're better, so you shouldn't worry. If you can't draw animals, you just can't draw animals though. Just because someone else is lower-functioning does not mean your problems don't exist!)

Alright. So while that mostly applies if you ARE autistic, it is still good to consider, I think. \_(ツ)_/

Never hurts to know! :P

Like I said, I've never been formally diagnosed, but there is substantial evidence that suggests that I might be on the spectrum, and I do experience a lot of the neurological and social difficulties autistic people do. But I do know a lot about it, and if you'd like to ask any questions, I can try my best to answer them. :)

JusticeandMercy
September 15th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks! I can't think of any questions I have at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind if I do.

Karkat
September 15th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks! I can't think of any questions I have at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind if I do.

You're welcome. Alright. :)