PDA

View Full Version : Type of engine?

mrmee
September 11th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Heres a place to post your opinion on engine type and fuel.

Anything kind of fuel from electric, to biofuel, to hybrid, to desiel, to gasonline;
and any kind cylinder count and alignment from v4, (rare)w3,v6, v8, v10, v12,even v18 inline 4,6,8, birotor, or single cylinder (BMW Isetta);
and sizes from that one cylinder 298cc to v18 monstrosities

Transmission\Engine combination favorites also accepted

My personal favorite is the 454ci v8 conventional, usually attaced to a M22 "rock-crusher" muncie tranny.

Even when answering your own thread, please do not double post. ~Typhlosion

Abyssal Echo
September 11th, 2014, 08:10 PM
My favorite gas engine is a 440 SixPack backed with an 18 spline (Hemi) 4 speed
My favorite Diesel is the Cummins 5.9 12 valve backed by a 5 speed manual.

Cognizant
September 11th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmm
I don't know shit about specific engines, so be prepared for my puny choices. I like Toyota's 3.0L 1mz-fe V6 engine and it's 4 speed auto is pretty good.

But generally speaking, I like any modern day I-4 the best. They deliver decent power and acceleration times, and pretty good fuel economy.

PinkFloyd
September 11th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I really like the Supercharged 3800 V6. I had a 02 Grand Prix with one and it did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds on a good road. Only downfall that car had was front wheel drive which actually helped out in snowy conditions.

CosmicNoodle
September 14th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I'm in love with the 885cc inline 4 used by Triumph, fucking lovely engine, powerful, small, sexy as fuck. Not exactly economical but what super sports is?
Its got a nifty 5 speed (6 in some models) gear box

Professional Russian
September 14th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I like the ford 4.9L Straight Six with a 5 speed behind it and the ford 7.5L beast the 460 with a 5 speed. Those are my favorites

CrazyPerson101
September 14th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I don't have a fav. engine , heck I don't really know much about them, However, I do like my old minivans engine, its a 3.0 L V6 ( I forget many of the details :/ ) The Tranismission is a 4 or 5 speed ( I forget, Id have to read up on it ) , I use 93 octane in that thing and it gets GREAT gass mileage even for a van ( 32 hwy 28-30 city depends on how you drive ) , it accelerates decently for a van and well ... its just good overall.

Professional Russian
September 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Oh I forgot diesels. I'm in love with CAT C7s I love CAT diesels. If I can't get a cat then I'll have to take a Cummins. But I like gas over diesel

CosmicNoodle
September 16th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Oh I forgot diesels. I'm in love with CAT C7s I love CAT diesels. If I can't get a cat then I'll have to take a Cummins. But I like gas over diesel

I prefer gas to diesil, diesil just seems to be a bit...urm...floppy, compared to the raging erection that is gas.....what an unuaual similie

Professional Russian
September 16th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I prefer gas to diesil, diesil just seems to be a bit...urm...floppy, compared to the raging erection that is gas.....what an unuaual similie

Well the only thing good about diesel is it gets slightly better gas mileage as well as it pulls like a bitch. But I mean a ford 460 or Chevy 8.1 pull as much as Cummins with the right gearing and being built right. Hell my dads 8.1 pulled a Cummins once

CosmicNoodle
September 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Well the only thing good about diesel is it gets slightly better gas mileage as well as it pulls like a bitch. But I mean a ford 460 or Chevy 8.1 pull as much as Cummins with the right gearing and being built right. Hell my dads 8.1 pulled a Cummins once

Diesil does pull, thats why all cargo truks and building equipment run on it, as far as I know it requires slightly less maintinence as well, but that may be wrong.

Professional Russian
September 16th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Diesil does pull, thats why all cargo truks and building equipment run on it, as far as I know it requires slightly less maintinence as well, but that may be wrong.

Maintenance is all in how you run it. And that goes for gas diesel hybrid what ever. The harder you beat it the more maintenance. But also if you just let it sit there's going to be maintenance when you use it again

CosmicNoodle
September 16th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Maintenance is all in how you run it. And that goes for gas diesel hybrid what ever. The harder you beat it the more maintenance. But also if you just let it sit there's going to be maintenance when you use it again

Ohh trust me I'm experienced with !maintinence, I run a motorbike so that needs constant attention, I've done all sorts of jobs, from tiny things like chain tension and tyre pressure to big complex things like engine rebuilds and clutch replacements. I just find it fun.
I try not to rag engines around d to much, but sometimes it can't be helped depending on the situation the engine is being used in.

Professional Russian
September 16th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Ohh trust me I'm experienced with !maintinence, I run a motorbike so that needs constant attention, I've done all sorts of jobs, from tiny things like chain tension and tyre pressure to big complex things like engine rebuilds and clutch replacements. I just find it fun.
I try not to rag engines around d to much, but sometimes it can't be helped depending on the situation the engine is being used in.

I mean I'm not a mechanic... I'm actually a welder :P but I like working on engines and trannys and shit....until it pisses me off. But I mean I'm looking for a truck to rebuild. I'm thinking Chevy 350 ford 300 or ford 460 all older versions so I don't have to deal with a ll the computers and shit

CosmicNoodle
September 16th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I mean I'm not a mechanic... I'm actually a welder :P but I like working on engines and trannys and shit....until it pisses me off. But I mean I'm looking for a truck to rebuild. I'm thinking Chevy 350 ford 300 or ford 460 all older versions so I don't have to deal with a ll the computers and shit

I'd recommend doing g what I did and start with small thongs and work your way up, I started by rebuilding a lawnmower engine, then the lawnmower, then a ride on lawn mower, then a cement mixer engine, then a broken 2 stroke dirt bike, them finally my bike, I don't think its a good idea to jump in at the deep end, you'd be surprised how complex even older trucks can be. Perhaps start lower down the scale?

Professional Russian
September 16th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I'd recommend doing g what I did and start with small thongs and work your way up, I started by rebuilding a lawnmower engine, then the lawnmower, then a ride on lawn mower, then a cement mixer engine, then a broken 2 stroke dirt bike, them finally my bike, I don't think its a good idea to jump in at the deep end, you'd be surprised how complex even older trucks can be. Perhaps start lower down the scale?
That's why I have 2 mechanics too help me

JacobIN
September 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I got myself a rusty but trusty, 98 ram 1500 with the 318 in it. Beautiful little engine, that thing lives through most everything.

CosmicNoodle
September 17th, 2014, 04:30 AM
That's why I have 2 mechanics too help me

Ohh...well that night work, anyway, good luck in whatever cpvheical you decide to rebuild,

Professional Russian
September 17th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Ohh...well that night work, anyway, good luck in whatever cpvheical you decide to rebuild,

I need more luck in trying to get the money :P it ain't cheap and it's gonna take along time to do

Daniella98
September 17th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Im impressed by an engine from long before I was born. It played a part in Group B rally in the 80ies.
Its the engine in the Rover 6R4. Its a 3,4 liter V6 with a great sound and later used in the Jaguar XJ 220.

TurboDieselBandit
October 2nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
I work in a train locomotive shop so my favorite big engines are the 4400 horsepower 20,000 lb-ft torque, turbocharged and intercooled, V16 engines that are around 710 cu. in. PER CYLINDER so over 11,000 cu. in. The turbo alone is bigger than a pick up trucks entire engine, I should get some pictures.

In general I like engines well built for the application that have forced induction (Preferably turbo), electronic fuel management, 4 or more valves per-cylinder, and variable valve timing. Basically all the high tech, power and efficiency boosting technology incorporated into something that will last.

A on-road truck engine might be more power dense than a locomotive engine, but it couldn't handle the duty cycle being run continuously at 70% to full throttle and hold for hours, each day and do it for years without a rebuild. It's all about what it was designed to do and how well it does it.