PDA

View Full Version : Music On A VT Members Profile

CrazyPerson101
September 4th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Okay, so I was thinking, I was on another site ( gaming site ) and on my profile on it, you can put 1 song you like in the media thing and if you put the code that's highlighted, it automatically plays the video as soon as you go to my profile. Then I thought to myself, you know itd be kiinda cool if VT had this option so I thought Id throw that out there.....https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10668365_677605468997676_16846875_n.jpg?oh=f0ad6fa2b406f53a58ab93ab45c5ba69&oe=540A5C22&__gda__=1410003199_fae19af220ed7f27b0360f04a1d74fba

I don't see many if not any downsides to this, There are rules on this site and most of them can apply to this, If you're on mobile and can't hear it, ( not to be blunt but ) get on a computer or something that can hear it. I think its a good idea but that's just me

Typhlosion
September 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM
[-]Oh no please god no mother of all mercy no I summon all the nos please heed my call no oh god no please no[/-]

It really doesn't come to me as a welcome addition. I've always found embedded site music annoying and I never bothered trying the track if the music was paused. It also doesn't seem like a useful/priority addition in a forum that's mainly a help site.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add your music tastes in your biography/signature?

CrazyPerson101
September 4th, 2014, 12:48 PM
[-]Oh no please god no mother of all mercy no I summon all the nos please heed my call no oh god no please no[/-]

It really doesn't come to me as a welcome addition. I've always found embedded site music annoying and I never bothered trying the track if the music was paused. It also doesn't seem like a useful/priority addition in a forum that's mainly a help site.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add your music tastes in your biography/signature?

Well thats not really the point, music can be used as way to express yourself in a way. Your profile is your mini part on the site. Yes it can be taken away but if you're still here, its that users mini part of VT. When someone looks at your profile, they choose to so I don't see what you mean on its not very welcoming because you don't know who has viewed it unless you check for yourself. Plus you don't have to have the auto-play on if you don't want to. Personally no, since we're limited to only 8 spaces, I've used them up so I can't add it to it, Plus many people have there username as there sig & honestly, ( this is me ) I don't look at many peoples biographies so I wouldn't be able to see it. So that's why I suggested it.

Rayquaza
September 4th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I don't really like the idea, sorry. Firstly there can be triggering (or offensive) music on a persons profile which would require moderation (which would be time consuming) and dangerous given the nature of the website. Secondly, I'd find autoplaying music annoying. It would be like going to a tumblr blog and exiting it once the autoplaying music starts. A youtube link in your signature would be just as good.

Typhlosion
September 4th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Well thats not really the point, music can be used as way to express yourself in a way. Your profile is your mini part on the site. Yes it can be taken away but if you're still here, its that users mini part of VT. When someone looks at your profile, they choose to so I don't see what you mean on its not very welcoming because you don't know who has viewed it unless you check for yourself. Plus you don't have to have the auto-play on if you don't want to. Personally no, since we're limited to only 8 spaces, I've used them up so I can't add it to it, Plus many people have there username as there sig & honestly, ( this is me ) I don't look at many peoples biographies so I wouldn't be able to see it. So that's why I suggested it. I see your point of view, but I still think it would at least bloat user profiles. As a personal problem that some other people with old PCs share, a single flash can really slow my PC, and that's not too great while just looking at a profile. Finally, I both have my username in my signature and my musical tastes in my signature that can be seen by clicking 'metalhead', leading to my last.fm page.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion and views on the suggestion.

CrazyPerson101
September 4th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I don't really like the idea, sorry. Firstly there can be triggering (or offensive) music on a persons profile which would require moderation (which would be time consuming) and dangerous given the nature of the website. Secondly, I'd find autoplaying music annoying. It would be like going to a tumblr blog and exiting it once the autoplaying music starts. A youtube link in your signature would be just as good.

I see what you're saying but as I said, there are rules and most people on here follow them and there are aprox. 5,360 members active. Moderators have to moderate VMs for many of these people, being a moderator ( if im correct not trying to be a pain or anything ) is time consuming and a very important serious job ( So it seems ) so it wouldn't be terribly bad, I know there are only so many moderators/GModerators but they manage to take care of VT as it is right now so I don't see how this would really effect on time. There could be a time limit like : you have to wait so and so days before you can change it ( like your username ) and how would it be dangerous, you can easily offend someone by having a certain song on your sig just as easy as on your profile. As for the auto play, that was merely a suggestion, & different people have different opinions. I don't' mind auto play & if you're offended by the music on someones profile, there are links to leave the profile and you don't have to go back to it.

I see your point of view, but I still think it would at least bloat user profiles. As a personal problem that some other people with old PCs share, a single flash can really slow my PC, and that's not too great while just looking at a profile. Finally, I both have my username in my signature and my musical tastes in my signature that can be seen by clicking 'metalhead', leading to my last.fm page.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion and views on the suggestion.

I don't think itd take up that much room, I mean on that site that I showed a picture of, my profile is small and its a tiny little thing, that picture is blown up a bit, its smaller in size on that site ( blew it up so ya'll could see it a bit better ) and I do understand what you mean on older computers, I've got 2 that are 16 and 13 ( plus my newest one thats 5 ) and they do youtube videos just fine BUT they do take a bit longer to load so you do make a good point on that, maybe if we could have the option but not the autoplay on ? make it a no no and if its violated to many times ( there are 5360 active members so if a majority of the active ones abused this, this could be thrown in the hole and forgotten about ) .... ( assuming this came into effect of course )

There is a spot for it to fit so It wouldn't be bulky and take up to much room. ( and sorry Ali :/ )
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t34.0-12/10681746_677633605661529_1936509055_n.jpg?oh=286f45e50d3b772d1b20943a87383245&oe=540A5761&__gda__=1409972929_d1d7491164ac834e07bc1248aaa60648

-Please do not double post. Use the "edit" and "multi-quote" buttons. -Emerald Dream

ImCoolBeans
September 4th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I really don't like the idea of music on member profiles. When adding mods to the site you have to decide what is necessary and what is unnecessary, because having too many mods uses up RAM; this is kind of unnecessary, and would prefer not to use some RAM space on it.

Plane And Simple
September 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I agree it's not the best idea, as much as I LOVE music, it's time conssuming, space consuming and would require us to go through and approve every change to the section in order to make it SFW.

You can always do like I do in my sig, add some lyrics, parse a link, change it every now and then and Voilą.

Cognizant
September 4th, 2014, 07:11 PM
As much as I love music, I don't feel it's suit for VirtualTeen for all the reasons listed above. Leave it for tumblr.

CosmicNoodle
September 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Ohh god no, not autoplayong music, not to be blint but I do t care what song you want me to hear, I don't want to listen to it every time I click on soemones profile, if it was an embeds video that DOES NOT auto play them I would at least tolerate this idea. But I don't really see the point, like Tysplosion said, just put your music taste in your SIG, he did and it works fne. Or you could just embed the video in your sig ike cheeses does and then if people want to they can listen to it.

LoveLessOne
September 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM
it would suck to have like so many diff typesof music blarring at me

FairPlay137
September 7th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I don't really think that's a good idea as it may take up TOO MUCH SPACE on the VT server.

Blood
September 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Yes, because when I go to a member's profile I want to hear MY NIGGA MY NIGGA scream at me.

I don't think this is a good idea, however amusing it may be. And I only say this because I would be one of those people to troll the fuck out of people with super inappropriate songs. :P

Deleted User
September 12th, 2014, 01:19 AM
It doesn't feel like an addition that would be beneficial in any way and I swear if there's autoplay, I'll tear my hair out. For the amount of time I, personally, actually spend on someone's profile, it just wouldn't be of any use.

mrpieface2
September 21st, 2014, 02:46 AM
This would be interesting if this is a feature here but I don't think its a good idea. Besides, how can the admins/mods control what songs go on a members profile? I'm sure people will post innapropriate songs and there would be so many people that do that I'm sure it would be hard to moderate all those songs ya know?

CrazyPerson101
September 21st, 2014, 06:59 PM
Okay, I get it. It was a bad idea, can we please lock this or something, It's really depressing to see an idea be shot down by so many people. :/

Elysium
September 21st, 2014, 07:07 PM
Okay, I get it. It was a bad idea, can we please lock this or something, It's really depressing to see an idea be shot down by so many people. :/
Locked per request. :locked2: