PDA

View Full Version : I get frustrated with specific sounds

Typhlosion
September 4th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Or the technical term, Misophonia: literally "hatred of sound", is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds. People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clearing their throats, clipping their nails, brushing their teeth [...], or repetitive sounds.

In my case, I abhor mouth sounds related to fluids (swallowing saliva, swishing saliva, nasal discharge in mouth), breathing loudly but not heavily, and eating with your mouth open. Usually the latter two can be dealt with, and problem lies in the first. I have a roommate, and he does them all the time when he sleeps. And what can I do? Absolutely nothing. I can't ask him to stop, he's sleeping and I can't go away because I'm also supposed to be sleeping. Music just made me lose my morning classes.

One night I had to go through it until I went back to sleep. This night I tried listening to really loud music in my earphones so I couldn't hear anything else. I feared when the music stopped between tracks. I can't continue like this because, not only it's harming my sleep, but last time I had a roommate problem was when I was younger and I ended up punching my sister during her sleep because I couldn't bear it. I don't want to get near that point again. So far I am "just" throwing a fit in the bed with the pillows and snapping trying to casually wake him up so it stops.

Unfortunately, my parents are aware that I don't like the sounds, but they don't seem to want to help much either. When I shared rooms w/ my sister at least I claimed the 'office' room in my house as my bedroom, but I can't do this here. I don't think they understand how grave it is to me.

What can I do to go around the problem? How do I stop being so violent? Any other advice? Do you share a similar experience?

Luminous
September 4th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I'm similar, but in a different way. I have hyper-sensitivity, which means that I can't stand certain textures and fabrics. Velvet is so bad that I can't even look at it, I hate even saying or typing the word. My parents think I'm making it up to create drama, like what they do with all the rest of my problems.
Anyways, I'm not 18, like you, so I can't get a medical diagnosis on my own, but perhaps you should so you can have some proof on paper that this is a real thing. They'd hopefully take you more seriously and you may find a way to get a single or change roommates. I'm not sure what you could do to stop being more violent, as that's really just a self-control thing. As far as I know, all Misophonia treatments are experimental and there isn't one reliable cure, so while you could look into those experimental treatments, there's not much else you could do to get around it. Sorry I don't really have a lot of information, but I can relate and wanted to add my two cents.

CosmicNoodle
September 7th, 2014, 04:32 AM
*puts hand up* I'm the same, the sou d if people eating, swallowing, brusho g there teeth, the sond of high heals on a hard floor, and so may others make me want to rip out the spine of the person doing it, so I just listen to heavy metal on full volume e for like 90% of my time in public or around other people.
No idea how to deal with it, I can't sleep in ythe same room as another person, last to e in did I punched him in his sleep because of the sound of him breathing...

ksdnfkfr
September 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM
This is very common in autism.

JusticeandMercy
September 15th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I know how you feel. I hate the sound of chewing, swallowing, tongue clicking, sniffling, and fabric being rubbed against itself. I can tolerate them to an extent, but ugh! I'd much rather not.
There was also a soda fountain that periodically made a weird noise when in use. I refused to even get a drink from it because I didn't want to hear it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any solutions.

Karkat
September 15th, 2014, 01:14 AM

I was about to bring this up XD

But yeah, back at OP, I have all sorts of "ear issues", and this is one of the bigger ones.

Honestly? Aside from treating the anxiety you get as a result, I don't know what you can do at the moment. Have you tried earplugs? They're fairly cheap, at least where I am, and for me they at least block out most of the sound (the disadvantage is that everything becomes TREMENDOUSLY loud when I take them out... Also, no one understands why you'd be walking around with earplugs in, so they get impatient with you. I also wear them for anxiety, and I've gotten a lot of flack for it. ["You just need to learn to deal with it"])

Other than that, I try to focus on sounds that aren't as bad, or maybe textures. I try to distract my brain. It doesn't work tremendously, but sometimes it keeps me from going absolutely postal.

I also try to calm myself down, with meditation and deep breathing, because I get extremely tense and anxious as a result of these noises.

Sorry I can't help you more. This is a pretty big issue for me as well, tbh. P:

CharlieHorse
September 15th, 2014, 01:22 AM
i think i'm the opposite. i love sounds. i like to think about how the waves are shaped. I also think my ears are above average in terms of sensitivity, which I'm happy about.
There's a catch though, I constantly hear a faint, high-pitched wine, but I try not to notice it. It might be a mild case of tinnitus

Ben_Frost
September 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Or the technical term, Misophonia: literally "hatred of sound", is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds. People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clearing their throats, clipping their nails, brushing their teeth [...], or repetitive sounds.

I have this problem too, it's just the worst when people are eating crunchy stuff, humming, chewing gum with mouth open or slurping stuff from a spoon. What I've been doing to not slap them on the face, I think hard about anything ese that might distract me long enough and if that doesn't work, I leave the room.

You could try out what WisenUpJanetWeiss has said.

Typhlosion
September 17th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Update

Thankfully, for now, the buccal sounds have stopped. I talked much more to my father about this and all he could recommend was talking to m' roommate to see if he were okay with shaking him if he did such noises... not the best advice. If this continues, I will definitely look into earplugs.Seems like a great solution. (Thanks Ren!) My father wears them a lot (the sound of traffic out the window bothers him) so he might be able to help me with this.

Also, thank you for your responses! :mrgreen:

I was about to bring this up XD
Hah! Interesting

I can't stand those sounds either
But for me playing music helps a little bit, but like you between tracks it's horrible.
Even worse that I have to put the music to ear-deafening loud levels, pretty much the volume I use when I'm walking on the streets

But yeah, back at OP, I have all sorts of "ear issues", and this is one of the bigger ones.

Honestly? Aside from treating the anxiety you get as a result, I don't know what you can do at the moment. Have you tried earplugs? They're fairly cheap, at least where I am, and for me they at least block out most of the sound (the disadvantage is that everything becomes TREMENDOUSLY loud when I take them out... Also, no one understands why you'd be walking around with earplugs in, so they get impatient with you. I also wear them for anxiety, and I've gotten a lot of flack for it. ["You just need to learn to deal with it"])

Other than that, I try to focus on sounds that aren't as bad, or maybe textures. I try to distract my brain. It doesn't work tremendously, but sometimes it keeps me from going absolutely postal.

I also try to calm myself down, with meditation and deep breathing, because I get extremely tense and anxious as a result of these noises.

Sorry I can't help you more. This is a pretty big issue for me as well, tbh. P:
So that's what anxiety is...

I'll definitely try out ear plugs! All I did so far was put my thinking to the maximum and try to block out everything external. Halfway, but it didn't eliminate the fear

I constantly hear a faint, high-pitched wine, but I try not to notice it. It might be a mild case of tinnitus

Very, very, rarely I also do hear that ringing.

Karkat
September 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Update

Thankfully, for now, the buccal sounds have stopped. I talked much more to my father about this and all he could recommend was talking to m' roommate to see if he were okay with shaking him if he did such noises... not the best advice. If this continues, I will definitely look into earplugs.Seems like a great solution. (Thanks Ren!) My father wears them a lot (the sound of traffic out the window bothers him) so he might be able to help me with this.

Also, thank you for your responses! :mrgreen:

Hah! Interesting

Even worse that I have to put the music to ear-deafening loud levels, pretty much the volume I use when I'm walking on the streets

So that's what anxiety is...

I'll definitely try out ear plugs! All I did so far was put my thinking to the maximum and try to block out everything external. Halfway, but it didn't eliminate the fear

Very, very, rarely I also do hear that ringing.

Hope it helps! You're absolutely welcome. :)

When I'm anxious, sometimes I'll put on sunglasses and put in earplugs. It's like a warm blanket around me figuratively. I feel safe and grounded LOL

Gotta get rid of that extra stimulation sometimes. It can be REALLY overwhelming, you know?

Feraligatr
September 20th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I know how you feel. I live right outside my high school's football field, so the loud speakers get annoying at times. I also woke up to the marching band playing at 8:00 AM today. I don't like hearing them early in the morning. It's not that I hate sounds. I just don't like them when I am sleeping or trying to do something. I recommend purchasing some earplugs. Although, I don't use any, I feel like they would benefit you.

kirbmanboggle
December 5th, 2014, 09:34 AM
i have the same thing when people either think their so much better than you tone of voice and when someone tells you something your suppose to do i don't know why but whenever my mom tells me it i almost go crazy with anger anyone else could do it and i wouldn't get mad and do what i was suppose to do just fine but i just get so enraged i find it kind of crazy

ImagineRepublicCity
December 5th, 2014, 07:22 PM
i have the same thing when people either think their so much better than you tone of voice and when someone tells you something your suppose to do i don't know why but whenever my mom tells me it i almost go crazy with anger anyone else could do it and i wouldn't get mad and do what i was suppose to do just fine but i just get so enraged i find it kind of crazy

Please do not post in threads after 2 months of inactivity :locked: