PDA

View Full Version : Older with lower miles, or Newer with higher miles?


Cognizant
September 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
EDIT: it looks like the first listing was removed so this thread will be a "just in general" type of thing I guess. So as I've said like a billion times before, the lease on my daily driver (2013 Nissan LEAF) is expiring next March. At that point, one of 4 things could happen:

1. My dad chooses to "buy" the Nissan Leaf and we would continue to own it for the near future (presumably until the Battery pack becomes useless)
2. I will look into local deals, and try to convince my dad to help me lease out a 2014 Toyota Camry LE (most likely his name would be under the car but I'd primarily be driving it, help make payments, pay for my insurance and gas, etc)
3. I will look into buying my own cheapo car that's under 4 grand and drive that around until I'm able to lease/buy something nicer
4. My dad will return the Nissan Leaf, and for whatever reason I'll be carless and revert back to using the bus.



In the event of option 3 occurring, I was looking into some older Toyota Camry's (as you can see I really like Toyota :P). I found two that I really liked. They're very similar in some regards - they're both are LE trims, have the same 4 speed auto transmission, stereo system, power seats, and body shell.
Camry A is a 1999MY, the V6 engine I prefer, and only has 95k on the engine clock. This one was before Toyota did the mid-model refresh so it's looks are a bit dated (but that's ok, it's a 16 year old car) and the inside carpets look a bit dirty, but the low miles and it having the MZ engine is a big plus in my book.

Camry B is a 2001MY, and is pretty damn clean looking on the inside and out (this one's after the model refresh), has leather seats and a decent wood grain (unlike Camry A, this one could've fooled me for a 2006 i didn't know about the different generations), but this one has the I-4 and has almost 156k miles on it. It's also down in SoCal so I wouldn't be able to see it in person for a while, but I'm just presuming that there will be similar listings later on, because it's SoCal.

So with that in mind, which one do you think I should take a look at first? The newer one might have the nice features, but I'd be worried about the mileage and maintenance frequency...

CosmicNoodle
September 3rd, 2014, 09:31 AM
Warning!!!!!! DON NOT BUY A CAR JUST BECAUSE IT LOOKS CLEAN!
My dad bought a car that look in superb condition, after a month it died and being the engineer he asked me to take a look, so I did, and under the hood was the word mess I had ever seen, it was shot to shit.
However, my bike, was a wreak when I bought it, surface rust, muddy, busted head lights, it was not something you'd usually look twice at, but, it was still I'm superb mechanical condition. Meaning I got a fantastic bike that I had to put VERY little work into, it now looks and runs like new.
It may sound obvious, but just because a car looks good doesn't mean it is, make sure you know what your looking for, don't be afraid to get stuck in whilst checking a possible car out, get under it and look for rusted through supports and damaged socks, check for holes in the exhaust, check miles(obviously) check tyres and electronics, check the compression in the cylinders, don't just pick the one with a clean carpit and low miles, because for all you know it was ragged around its hole life.

Multiple times I've come across 20 year old cars in better condition than 3 year old ones, in my opinion, you know what your doing, or you buy one straight from the manafactrurer or reputable dealer.

Anyway, if it was me I'd just buy the leaf, the amount t of money you'd save on gas is ridiculous, seriously, add it up, I did and my mouth dropped open. Plus your used to the car and from what I can tell you seem to like it, right?

Plane And Simple
September 3rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
I'd go for the B. If 3 was to happen. Never engine, simple and reliable yet economic I4, and in newer condition. I could write a lot about why it's better but it won't be worth it in here.

Then again, I couldn't agree more with Joe. Buy the Leaf. You know that car, it's been yours for a long time, it's the cheapest thing to run, and a battery pack isn't that expensive so you could keep it for long.

CosmicNoodle
September 3rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
I'd go for the B. If 3 was to happen. Never engine, simple and reliable yet economic I4, and in newer condition. I could write a lot about why it's better but it won't be worth it in here.

Then again, I couldn't agree more with Joe. Buy the Leaf. You know that car, it's been yours for a long time, it's the cheapest thing to run, and a battery pack isn't that expensive so you could keep it for long.

Actually the battey packs are quite expenive, but still a metric shit tone less expensive than paying for a years worth of gas, and those packs can last for like 5 years.

Plane And Simple
September 3rd, 2014, 01:36 PM
Actually the battey packs are quite expenive, but still a metric shit tone less expensive than paying for a years worth of gas, and those packs can last for like 5 years.

I know. They're 10k but still a lot cheaper than a new car or gas.

CosmicNoodle
September 3rd, 2014, 01:39 PM
I know. They're 10k but still a lot cheaper than a new car or gas.

Problem with battteries, at the current time the tech isn't advanced enough and they are far too expensive, far, far to expensive.
Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, mods. Back on topic.

Have you considered getting a motorcycle? Just a possibility, they are ridiculous fun. PLuss they have a cool factor that an electric car lacks.

Cognizant
September 3rd, 2014, 07:21 PM
I'd go for the B. If 3 was to happen. Never engine, simple and reliable yet economic I4, and in newer condition. I could write a lot about why it's better but it won't be worth it in here.

Then again, I couldn't agree more with Joe. Buy the Leaf. You know that car, it's been yours for a long time, it's the cheapest thing to run, and a battery pack isn't that expensive so you could keep it for long.


Anyway, if it was me I'd just buy the leaf, the amount t of money you'd save on gas is ridiculous, seriously, add it up, I did and my mouth dropped open. Plus your used to the car and from what I can tell you seem to like it, right?

The problem is that there's only a 60% chance it would be useful to me for two more years, and in the 40% chance I leave for Southern California right after high school, the car would be completely useless to me .I would have to tow it down (unless they had some magical range extender), and even then I'd probably end up having to either lease a new car or buy a clunker because my home-school-work commute would be too long to get there and back on the car.

But I'll probably try to look for the new-ish ones, or just lease a new fuel-based car, (preferably a Camry cause that's what my mum has and I'm pretty comfortable on how those handle and like the build too) if that's what happens

Problem with battteries, at the current time the tech isn't advanced enough and they are far too expensive, far, far to expensive.
Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, mods. Back on topic.

Have you considered getting a motorcycle? Just a possibility, they are ridiculous fun. PLuss they have a cool factor that an electric car lacks.

As much fun as that would be, it's something I think I would get after I have a car :P

Infidelitas
September 3rd, 2014, 09:57 PM
Milage in a car is only a small picture of what the car is actually like.

One of my friends is always like "My car has only got 180,000km for a 1993 model", but she drives it like a heap of shit. And it runs like a heap of shit, so in it's life, it has only done a small amount of kilometres, but it's been thrashed.

On the other hand, you can have a 2001 model car with 300,000km, and it has been driven on the highway by a elderly driver. It has had a pretty easy life and would be more reliable than the lower mileage car that has been thrashed.

With any used car that you buy, have it checked out by an unbiased mechanic.

TL;DR: High milage cars aren't that much of a big deal if they have been looked after.



BTW, Toyota Camry's are a boss!!

I have an '01 4-cyl conquest sedan, and it's awesome (Would have liked the v6, but this one gets me 850km fuel range, so I am happy)

TurboDieselBandit
October 2nd, 2014, 08:51 PM
A city car used for frequent short trips will likely be worn out at 80,000 miles while a car with many highway miles could be like brand new at 80,000. It really depends on how those miles were acquired, maintenance and the reputation of the vehicle make and model. Highway miles are the easiest miles for a car.

Professional Russian
October 5th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'd go older with less miles. Actually I usually only get older vehicles. I like older ones mostly because my.mechanic can work on them really good and they're easier for me myself to fix. And nothing is better look than a 1975 Ford F250 Highboy...it will be mine. Oh yes it will be mine.