PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti

CosmicNoodle
September 1st, 2014, 05:15 PM
What are your views on graffiti?
Is it art, or stupid vandalism?

One of my favorite bits of graffiti/street art, it's a few miles from my house:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/robinsonjoe45/20140829_133835_zpsauvldpl7.jpg

(Yes, that is a monkey telling you to keep it real)

Living For Love
September 1st, 2014, 06:56 PM
That one on the picture seems just vandalism to me. I hate graffiti when it simply shows drawings of characters with stupid faces criticising the government and showing middle fingers. There are ones that can be considered art, though, but they're rare, unfortunately.

Typhlosion
September 1st, 2014, 07:14 PM
Under my conception of art, graphite is both. Because it's invasion of someone else's property, it's vandalism; and because it does have the authors feelings imbued into it, and aesthetic, as a form of expression through a medium the author calls 'art' themselves, then it is art.

As pretty as it gets, it's still outright wrong. You can't justify vandalising someone's property no matter what's the message.

ImCoolBeans
September 4th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I edited your title/post to say graffiti instead of graphite in order to prevent confusion, because that is the correct spelling, and graphite is another medium of art, and the two are very different.

I think street art can be very cool, especially if the artist is good. However, I think just "tagging" something, is not.

CosmicNoodle
September 4th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I edited your title/post to say graffiti instead of graphite in order to prevent confusion, because that is the correct spelling, and graphite is another medium of art, and the two are very different.

I think street art can be very cool, especially if the artist is good. However, I think just "tagging" something, is not.

Forgive my stupidity, I'm dyslexic and dum :P
Unfortunately often its just political slurs or "Dave waz ere", but every now and then your treated to something actually quite good.

Cognizant
September 4th, 2014, 07:05 PM

I share the same opinion.

TheN3rdyOutcast
September 4th, 2014, 08:02 PM
If it includes exceptional use of color, line and shape without using vular slang, then it's art. If it's some moron just tagging his name on a wall, or a curse word, or stuff like that thenmit's stupid vandalism.

SethfromMI
October 23rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
well I think it depends. I do think if they do it without asking whoever owns the building or whatever, it is vandalism. even if it is beautiful it is putting something on someone's property they did not want there,

Babs
October 23rd, 2014, 08:06 PM
I think graffiti is really cool. I honestly don't care if it's vandalism, some of it's just really beautiful and took a lot of talent and effort. I think it gives places character, makes it more interesting... I mean, yeah, it's vandalizing someone else's property, but I still think it's oftentimes really amazing for some reason.

Karkat
October 23rd, 2014, 08:16 PM

I think graffiti is really cool. I honestly don't care if it's vandalism, some of it's just really beautiful and took a lot of talent and effort. I think it gives places character, makes it more interesting... I mean, yeah, it's vandalizing someone else's property, but I still think it's oftentimes really amazing for some reason.

Basically, this.

I feel it's better when it's not someone's private property that they didn't consent to (especially like, a house or something. Yikes.)

But if it's really well done, it can be a neat work of art.

CrazyPerson101
October 24th, 2014, 01:40 AM

Berea, you took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't have said it any better myself :)

James Dean
October 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM
The art graffiti yes. The gang, criminal violence kind, no. Those are the type of people that make good graffiti artists look bad.

dakeep18
October 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Very cool!

Miserabilia
October 25th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I think there's expeptions for the really creative and cool ones, but most of it is just "tagging" which I find stupid.

HeWhoTravelsTheWorld
October 25th, 2014, 02:47 PM
some Graffiti is beautiful art while other graffiti is just shit.

SethfromMI
October 26th, 2014, 11:05 PM

would it be cool if they did it on your house or property? now granted, it doesn't happen to private homes very often, but it is important to try to see it from that perspective. yes it can be very pretty sometimes, but it is still destroying other people's property (considering someone does indeed own it)

Melodic
October 26th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Well, some graffiti isn't art and is more gang related. However I've seen pretty creative graffiti art and I choose to say that it's an art choice. If a kid can chalk on the sidewalk, why can't a person spray paint an abandon building? Just saying.

Babs
October 26th, 2014, 11:09 PM
would it be cool if they did it on your house or property? now granted, it doesn't happen to private homes very often, but it is important to try to see it from that perspective. yes it can be very pretty sometimes, but it is still destroying other people's property (considering someone does indeed own it)

Honestly, if some of the street art I see was on my house I'd gaze at it daily.
I never said it wasn't wrong. I, personally, find it nice to look at sometimes, depending on what it is.

SethfromMI
October 26th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Honestly, if some of the street art I see was on my house I'd gaze at it daily.
I never said it wasn't wrong. I, personally, find it nice to look at sometimes, depending on what it is.

haha well fair enough then, I can respect that

Horatio Nelson
October 27th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Agreed with what's said above.

But some real taggers can make awesome stuff.

Amy123
October 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Love graffiti if it is done in the right place

RyderIsAMonster
October 29th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Graffiti is art, vandalism is not.

LoveLessOne
October 29th, 2014, 08:13 PM
i love it TOO they do such a "good" job here that it actually looks really good

Dark Unicorn
October 31st, 2014, 09:18 AM
Is it art?Yes.Is it vandalism?Yes.Mostly art but the second thing too.I'm all for it.I want a graffittied gate.

phuckphace
October 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
as others have said, graffiti itself is perfectly fine, just don't use it to deface property that isn't yours.

also, just for fun, a graffito inscription from Pompeii:

"I'm amazed, O wall, that you have not fallen in ruins, you who support the tediousness of so many writers."

:lol3:

Uranus
October 31st, 2014, 01:50 PM

That's exactly how I feel.
When I used to live up north there was a shit load of graffiti and it was really good. If someone vandalized my property and it turned out to be cool, I would probably pay the guy...or girl(Lol :D )

Kate
November 7th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I acknowledge that well designed graffiti took effort, and I consider those ones art. However, graffiti is still vandalism and is illicit. To answer your question, though, I would say it's both.