PDA

View Full Version : Teamspeak channel.

Periphery
August 24th, 2014, 11:24 AM
So I've been thinking it would be fun if the forums got a teamspeak channel. For those who don't know Teamspeak is a free program which can be used for voice chat amd typing. Basicly skype but a bit easier in my opinion. I'm pretty sure teamspeak servers are not hard to make.
I think it would be a great way to meet new people on the forums, yes we have the chatroom, but it's not that busy, maybe we could give people the option to make their own channel in the ts server.
This is just an idea but I think it would be pretty awesome to have.

Living For Love
August 24th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Well, I think the major issue is, once again, moderating it. Basically, people could start talking about inappropriate stuff in there, spamming, advertising, trolling, etc..., and we can't have members of the staff moderating it 24/7.

Periphery
August 24th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Well, maybe we should get teamspeak moderators, or people who are active there to moderate it.

Living For Love
August 24th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Well, maybe we should get teamspeak moderators, or people who are active there to moderate it.

It's not easy to get moderators who are willing to do that, and it's practically impossible to get them to moderate it all the time. The Chat Room is already a bit difficult to control, a Teamspeak channel would only bring more trouble. The idea itself is nice, really, but I don't think we are ready to implement it soon, and to be honest, I don't know if it would be used that often by members in Virtual Teen.

Periphery
August 24th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Well, maybe people are willing to control it, not only moderators, but other people

CassnovA
August 24th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Well if u did make 1 just password it so randoms under 50 posts or 1 month membership cant get on

StoppingTime
August 24th, 2014, 05:48 PM
This idea sounds much simpler in a post than it does in practice. While the Teamspeak client is free, the actual hosting for the server is not. VT (a nonprofit, out-of-pocket-paid website) would have to buy a Teamspeak hosting plan (on top of other server costs and the chatroom license which is already generously paid for), and a specific amount of slots, to start. From there, we'd have to make sure it was constantly moderated, which is not only incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to do, but it would be unfair of us to ask staff members to constantly be listening on Teamspeak discussions.

Overall I certainly do not see this being supported by VT any time soon. You're welcome to put your Skype in your contact information and meet people that way, or go in the chat room (which is, in fact, quite active), or just message people on the forums. Adding a TS server seems a bit over-the-top to me

Periphery
August 27th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Well, Teamspeak is clearly to hard to do, but maybe a voice chat option in the Chatroom?

JAB555
August 27th, 2014, 10:49 PM
A voice chat option would absolutely never happen. But, I do like the TS idea, and maybe we could have vollenteer mods, if they ever wanted to. If I could get ts to work for me, with my screenreader and all, I would absolutely mod it for VT, if it ever did happen.
StoppingTime, the hosting only costs money if you pay someone to host the server for you, it is possible to personally host a server, and we could do something like having someone with real good internet get a ts server at their house or something set up. It would only cost what the Internet itself costs. So you really wouldn't have to pay for hosting in this case. true, it could be rather hard, but it's actually a lot easier than it sounds.
Also, I've noticed that the chatroom isn't as active as it used to be. When I first came here, there were always at least 2 or 3 chatters on. Now, the norm is like 2. I remember the first time I ever came here, there were 12 users in there, now I haven't ever seen more than 5, and even that's a lot these days, so it's really not like it used to be.

Typhlosion
August 27th, 2014, 10:53 PM
A voice chat option would absolutely never happen. But, I do like the TS idea, and maybe we could have vollenteer mods, if they ever wanted to. If I could get ts to work for me, with my screenreader and all, I would absolutely mod it for VT, if it ever did happen.
StoppingTime, the hosting only costs money if you pay someone to host the server for you, it is possible to personally host a server, and we could do something like having someone with real good internet get a ts server at their house or something set up. It would only cost what the Internet itself costs. So you really wouldn't have to pay for hosting in this case. true, it could be rather hard, but it's actually a lot easier than it sounds.
Also, I've noticed that the chatroom isn't as active as it used to be. When I first came here, there were always at least 2 or 3 chatters on. Now, the norm is like 2. I remember the first time I ever came here, there were 12 users in there, now I haven't ever seen more than 5, and even that's a lot these days, so it's really not like it used to be.
I don't know what you're saying. The chat has 8 users as I speak!

Also, personally hosting a server is not that simple. There are reasons why we should pay for a server service, and beyond that you're forgetting that the PC must be on 24/7, which not only is costly on the electricity bill but wears the PC very quickly.

StoppingTime
August 28th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Everything Alex said is correct. We're not going to be asking anyone to host a TS server for us - we're not looking for users to contribute monetarily to the site, and we certainly wouldn't be asking anyone, once again, to be moderating a 24/7 TS server, it just isn't fair to anyone involved. Also, if someone else were to host this server, all kinds of problems are introduced (who's liable for what occurs on the server, and things like that).

xXl0sth0peXx
August 29th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I will be agreeing with what Alex and Steven said above. It would ultimately just be too problematic for a site like VT. Mike and I pay good money for the chat we have, and that's what we will have at this point.

JAB555
August 29th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Ok, now I'm starting to see what you mean, and it all makes sense. And, there's another thing you'd have to consider if you did a TS server...Would it be public or not? There's lots of problems I can see, and lots of questions to ask, let's not do this.