PDA

View Full Version : Healthy eating BS in schools.

CosmicNoodle
August 8th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Over the last few years a huge campain about healthy eating in schools has taken over the canteen.
The government is encoraging schools to server more healthy options and to seve less junk food to children,

whats your opinion on this, is it the givernment forcing things on people in yet another way, or is it a helpfull healthy operation doing good?

(P.S, dont give your logicall opinion, let your stomach decide what it thinks, do you want to eat junk food and not care,k or are you ok with the semi-forced changes)

NeuroTiger
August 8th, 2014, 03:03 AM
It's a nice initiative to control fat intake and cardiovascular diseases among so many.
I'm for it.

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2014, 03:59 AM
it's got to the stage in my school where everyone just walks to Tesco round the corner and stock up there on crap

CosmicNoodle
August 8th, 2014, 04:27 AM
it's got to the stage in my school where everyone just walks to Tesco round the corner and stock up there on crap

Thankfully I'm in college now where the helthy eating fascists haven't made there move, and can't. The canteen in my college serves all the usua;l junk food because they know it sells, and they expect students to be able to make there own choices, something school kids are also more than capable of.
Even though our canteen serves junk food we still wak to the nearest Morissons because its just cheaper.

Bull
August 8th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Can't stand school food, Bland, no taste, and not enough. I, like most of my friends brown bag it. I enjoy making different meals to take and share. Also, it saves me money because if I buy lunch, I buy two. Hey, I am a big guy and need a lot of energy.

Body odah Man
August 8th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Over the last few years a huge campain about healthy eating in schools has taken over the canteen.
The government is encoraging schools to server more healthy options and to seve less junk food to children,

whats your opinion on this, is it the givernment forcing things on people in yet another way, or is it a helpfull healthy operation doing good?

(P.S, dont give your logicall opinion, let your stomach decide what it thinks, do you want to eat junk food and not care,k or are you ok with the semi-forced changes)

I believe they're doing it cuz so many American people are obese and they don't want kids to go the same way. However if that food is just healthy food that has no nutritional value the governement is failing miserably.

TheN3rdyOutcast
August 8th, 2014, 05:01 AM
I really don't give a crap, I usually wolf down my tastless lunch within 5 minutes and spend the rest in the library where it's QUIET.

phuckphace
August 8th, 2014, 05:02 AM
I like that most people are readily willing to expend the extra effort to avoid the healthy food, rather than simply eating what's provided. I presume these are the same people who say things like, "I'm obese because of my genes you judgmental weightist douchecanoes!!" which is true, if by genes they meant the jeans they were wearing when they strolled down to the Quik Stop Snack Shack for an XXXXL corn syrup slurpee and 10 slices of za. meanwhile one could grab one of those Hitlerian salads instead and have a healthier meal for more sustained energy. but common sense ain't common and all.

my high school has had only diet soda in the vending machines for a while now, and most of the other students avoid it. even though diet soda tastes pretty much the same and allows you to cut out hundreds of unnecessary calories from your daily intake. nope, gotta get my fix of magic Monsanto elixir for those 3,000 extra empty calories.

CosmicNoodle
August 8th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I like that most people are readily willing to expend the extra effort to avoid the healthy food, rather than simply eating what's provided. I presume these are the same people who say things like, "I'm obese because of my genes you judgmental weightist douchecanoes!!" which is true, if by genes they meant the jeans they were wearing when they strolled down to the Quik Stop Snack Shack for an XXXXL corn syrup slurpee and 10 slices of za. meanwhile one could grab one of those Hitlerian salads instead and have a healthier meal for more sustained energy. but common sense ain't common and all.

my high school has had only diet soda in the vending machines for a while now, and most of the other students avoid it. even though diet soda tastes pretty much the same and allows you to cut out hundreds of unnecessary calories from your daily intake. nope, gotta get my fix of magic Monsanto elixir for those 3,000 extra empty calories.

You clearly have no experiance with the "helthy food" served in th UK, It is grey, tasteles, nutritionless, and the same every day, theres a reason people avoid it, if it tasted half decent then yes, we would eat it, but what you have to remember is that most people don't give a shit about healthy eating and will eat what tastes good, and I dont see why you brough morbidly obease people into it, I wasnt talking or asking about people weight, I was asking for opinions on the "helthy food" served in UK schools.

Typhlosion
August 8th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Even if it isn't all that what it seems like, it's definitely a positive attitude to encourage healthy eating. Seems like the most sensible approach on school food to me.

phuckphace
August 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM
You clearly have no experiance with the "helthy food" served in th UK, It is grey, tasteles, nutritionless, and the same every day, theres a reason people avoid it, if it tasted half decent then yes, we would eat it, but what you have to remember is that most people don't give a shit about healthy eating and will eat what tastes good, and I dont see why you brough morbidly obease people into it, I wasnt talking or asking about people weight, I was asking for opinions on the "helthy food" served in UK schools.

yeah a lot of folks are lazy and apathetic when it comes to their health, I agree. my point is that measures like these are taken because some don't want to feel responsible for enabling the bad behavior of others, even indirectly. see for example the controversy over McDonalds located on medical campuses - it's galling to see a doctor scarfing down two Big Macs and fries, the same doctor whom you will later hear saying "erm welp looks like you have high blood pressure, thanks that will be $4,000"

terrydactyl
August 8th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Schools in the UK call themselves healthy, but really aren't. The rules about not bring chocolate and crisps into school are never enforced at my school, which just so happens to be surrounded with places to buy junk food. Combine that with the fact that it can take almost half an hour to actually get the food out of a 45 minute luch break, and it's no wonder loads of us prefer to bring our own food, even thought the school stuff isn't to bad (because its pizaa and chips and crap). Healthy eating my arse.

Gamma Male
August 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Diet soda really isn't any better for you.

phuckphace
August 8th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Diet soda really isn't any better for you.

it's definitely not "healthy" per se (still has a lot of sodium for example) but the lack of calories and carbs alone compared to sugar soda more than makes up for that. the health effects from over-consumption of sugar are pretty dire even in the short term.

Gamma Male
August 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM
it's definitely not "healthy" per se (still has a lot of sodium for example) but the lack of calories and carbs alone compared to sugar soda more than makes up for that. the health effects from over-consumption of sugar are pretty dire even in the short term.

I know, I'm not saying that liquefied syrup crap is any better, but many "artificial sugars" have been shown to dramatically increase your hunger and make you consume more calories later in the day, not to mention all of the possible long term problems of diet sugar usage like, yknow, cancer.:lol:

I'm guilty of drinking sodas every now and then and I'm perfectly healthy, but when I see these Eric Cartman looking people chugging soda like it was water and still wondering why they're overweight it's just sad. Or even worse, when people chug diet soda all day long and think that somehow means they can eat more sugary greasy crash then normal because the sodas are diet.:what: It's like that guy who goes into McDonald's and orders 2 super sized big mac meals but adds a small side salad because he's trying to lose weight.

craftytasha
August 8th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Our high school only sells junk. The meals are disgusting and I can't stand them. Pretty much everything that's a meal is terrible for you and not tasty at all. Before I started bringing my own lunch, I would buy cheese-its and Gatorade because that's about the price of a regular lunch. This summer, I've been packing bento boxes for my work dinner/lunch. I'm a pretty good cook so I'm looking forward to making new dinner recipes and using the leftovers for my lunch. I think it's definitely good that schools are starting to at least healthy options, because personally I don't want to die young from some awful health related disease.

Armor_King
August 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Cafeteria food isn't healthy anyways.

I like to take a giant bowl of vegetables (well Tupperware of vegetables) to lunch everyday. Sometimes with a healthy dressing thing, sometimes plain.

That way I avoid the nasty food they have.

Plus they really shouldn't be serving milk. I mean milk really isn't that good for you. You don't need to drink the milk of another animal (especially cow) to build bones, just drink orange juice or eat spinach/kale. Really they should encourage water.

conniption
August 11th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I don't understand how school food is healthy. It's all processed gunk. Not even the fruit looks appetizing. At my school, only the seniors are allowed to leave campus for lunch, but the majority of the underclass men would rather leave campus and risk getting fined by the district police than eat the school food. It's ridiculous.

Karkat
October 6th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I feel like healthier food would be good, because let's face it, kids don't make good decisions for themselves like, ever. :P

I personally don't mind either way, as long as it's not bland or outright gross. You can have junk food that's bland and gross, so it's really just a matter of the cook...

James Dean
October 7th, 2014, 04:00 AM
It is the schools decision as to if they want to implement this. I do think that healthier food is better for your mind and body. Junk food and of that sort usually put you into a lazy mood and when you are trying to learn and educate yourself, you need to be focused and have a healthy mind and body. Most of that is your eating habits and that can take a toll on how your mind works.

CosmicNoodle
October 7th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I feel like healthier food would be good, because let's face it, kids don't make good decisions for themselves like, ever. :P

I personally don't mind either way, as long as it's not bland or outright gross. You can have junk food that's bland and gross, so it's really just a matter of the cook...

Wow I had forgoteen this thread existed, blast from the past.
Everyone seems focused on the war against fatty foods, fair enough, but I'm wondering why no one will adress the war on flavour thats been going on since food was served in schools :P

It is the schools decision as to if they want to implement this. I do think that healthier food is better for your mind and body. Junk food and of that sort usually put you into a lazy mood and when you are trying to learn and educate yourself, you need to be focused and have a healthy mind and body. Most of that is your eating habits and that can take a toll on how your mind works.

Actually I'm quite healthy, Not super buff, or super skinny, just normal, yet I eat crap tones of junk food, thank fuck for teenage metabolism

Karkat
October 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Everyone seems focused on the war against fatty foods, fair enough, but I'm wondering why no one will adress the war on flavour thats been going on since food was served in schools :P

Actually I'm quite healthy, Not super buff, or super skinny, just normal, yet I eat crap tones of junk food, thank fuck for teenage metabolism

Tasteless food in schools...

...Motherfuckers wanna not spend that three buck on it :P

CosmicNoodle
October 7th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Tasteless food in schools...

...Motherfuckers wanna not spend that three buck on it :P

I never understood it, when I used to use the canteen, there was litterally a line out of the door and more, yet you can just make a snawich the niht before, save 3/4th's of the money, and have something that tastes better. But people will be people (more like sheep) and just go for the easy option, even if it makes no logical sense.

Karkat
October 7th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I never understood it, when I used to use the canteen, there was litterally a line out of the door and more, yet you can just make a snawich the niht before, save 3/4th's of the money, and have something that tastes better. But people will be people (more like sheep) and just go for the easy option, even if it makes no logical sense.

Standing in line never seemed like a more viable option, so sometimes I'd just mooch food off of people :P

CosmicNoodle
October 7th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Standing in line never seemed like a more viable option, so sometimes I'd just mooch food off of people :P

Ahh, the best way to eat, go round each one of your friends like "hey, can I have a *inster delicious food object here*", once you've gone through them all you've nearly got a full meal :P

Karkat
October 7th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Ahh, the best way to eat, go round each one of your friends like "hey, can I have a *inster delicious food object here*", once you've gone through them all you've nearly got a full meal :P

Yup! XD

Melodic
October 8th, 2014, 12:52 AM
As long as they keep the bosco sticks!

I'm all for it, most cafeteria food is gross anyways.

James Dean
October 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM

Very lucky, and a big exception to the rule. :) Childhood obesity is mostly caused by poor eating habits, which in turn comes to poor physical health and exercise, which in turn, a big issue.

I'm a victim of it. I love my soda and candy and chips and the whole lot, but due to that, I have gained lots of weight because of it, and it was a big motivation for me to go into sports like baseball and I enjoy dancing just to burn some calories. :)

SethfromMI
October 15th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I understand why the schools are doing this. at the same time, I do not know if they should be able to force it either. at least provide both options and then let students decide

EvanJay
October 16th, 2014, 01:06 AM
i ate healthier meals at my house than at school

Lovelife090994
October 17th, 2014, 01:30 AM
After Michelle Obama started her "healthy lunch" campaign, my school lunches were terrible. I am so happy I brought my own lunch daily. Now out of school I no longer deal with that but apparently my mother (a teacher) says their school serves horrid food and kids leave hungry from lack of food since the portions are small and the food is tasteless.

Me? I'm skinny with a fast metabolism. People in America forget we are not all obese, and that BMI is flawed. Technically Mexico is worse off than us.

Hyper
October 17th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Speaking from experience.

The food I had in the schools around here would be considered healthy to very healthy in the US or UK.

And I had no problems with it when it was cooked well.

Food habbits come from food culture so ''government health fascism'' or whatever is a very good thing if done right.

There's a reason Americans are so fucking fat while some countries aren't. It's all down to food culture how we are raised and brought up with food and so on.

In pretty much all the ''slim countries'' that aren't fucking starving the dividing line comes from the simple fact that you eat till you are not hungry anymore as opposed to the ''eat till your full''

And coincidentally the countries with that ''eat till you are not hungry anymore'' thing seem to eat healthier shit.

I don't think we should deny people the right to have junk food. But answer this you said something along the lines of school kids being able to make their own choices. Well I disagree. Some maybe. But how many schools actually teach anything decent about nutrition to children?

Or how many parents know anything about nutrition? Where are these informed or at least conscious choices coming from?

For 95% of people, adults or kids, they just come from habbit.

Whatever you grow up with usually tastes good for the rest of your life, even if it is a bucket of slop for others.

So if kids are eating lots of crap because their parents eat crap I think the government through education should step in and give the necessary education to the kids. I think healthy food should be a must in schools, healthy food doesn't taste bad if it's cooked right. The concept is great execution so-so sometimes.

+ all the crap kids get from sodas, crisps & so on is not very good for them. If they don't get fat they are still slurping up 50+ grams of sugar every day from their sodas and other junk.

But yeah anyway I don't see a problem, the food should just taste good that's it. If it doesn't start a damn student movement or something.. It wont get better on it's own.