PDA

View Full Version : Longer poll options?

Gamma Male
August 6th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I'm not talking about the 10 option limit, that's fine. But I've noticed that the limit for the length of poll options is very short, and oftentimes I run out of room before I've finished writing one, and I have to resort to oversimplifying it so much that the poll just isn't as good as it could of been. Is there really anything stopping us from extending it to, say, a 300 or 500 character limit for each option? I seriously doubt it would add very much strain to the servers.

TheMatrix
August 6th, 2014, 03:51 AM
IIRC the message for poll options even says to keep it short. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that the current character limit is enforced by both database and vBulletin's code.

Perhaps you could put something like "see first post in thread" in the question and elaborate on the options there?

ImagineRepublicCity
August 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Perhaps you could put something like "see first post in thread" in the question and elaborate on the options there?

I agree.

It also makes things a bit more neater and systematic, rather then large explanations for each option. For many surveys, the amount of characters per option isn't all too many, because it puts people off.

Typhlosion
August 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM
If you need options that long, I think it would be nicer and cleaner just to add them to the OP. 300 characters is more than the double than Twitter uses, and a lot of people use that social platform with no problems.

xXl0sth0peXx
August 6th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I'll agree with the rest of the thread. I don't think expanding the limit would be beneficial, and as said, you can always make the poll short and sweet and talk more in the post.