PDA

View Full Version : anonymous option

CassnovA
July 26th, 2014, 10:13 AM
ok this may get shot down but ive been thinking about it a while. so theres some questions i really would like advice on but they are embarrasing and i think the longer u stay and become integrated on the forum, the less likely u are to ask for that kind of help.

i think it would be cool that u could chose to ask a question anonymously if u have over say 250 posts and 6 months membership. i cant see it getting abused as admins would still have the users ip.

thoughts?

makyoch
July 26th, 2014, 11:21 AM
An IP address doesn't necessarily point to a particular user with 100% certainty, though the general idea I do support; so long as it simply hides user profiles from guests & ordinary users (if that's even possible).

Harry Smith
July 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM
people really won't judge you if you post something, I mean the whole point of the internet is being able to have a level of anonymity. I'm not even sure if there is a feature that allows people to post anonymously and I could see it being really overused on p101

terrydactyl
July 26th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It is a good idea, but I don't think it's necessary. It's not like you are asking it in real life- the most you have to worry about is the opinions of a bunch of teenagers on the internet.

Typhlosion
July 26th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Well that is what VT us for, aye?

An anonymous feature could be abused to hell, because not only moderating by IPs is one heck of a hassle, but IPs are not unique to user or computer. Anyone accessing VT from a proxy would either imply in the banning of the proxy, potentially unfair to many users. There's also a problem in shared computers, for example two siblings that access VT or a library computer, where we couldn't distinguish who from who IP alone. And user-wise, it's not hard to switch from proxy to proxy or just reset your router if you have a dynamic IP address.

As I said, I don't see a real used for the idea since VT is here for all kinds of problem-solving. BUT, a 'hide my username to normal members' might be possible.

Elysium
July 27th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I've seen this mod implemented in the past, and it came with an option for staff to view the member who posted it.

I'm on the fence about this. I can see it being useful, but I'm also somewhat reluctant.

xXl0sth0peXx
July 27th, 2014, 10:40 AM
There aren't many things I'm outright against, but this is probably one of them. This is the internet; it's already extremely anonymous.. It's not like you're asking your classmates those types of questions or anything.. Your username should provide enough anonymity, and you can always request a thread deleted after you get an answer.

This feature would be horribly abused, and even if as staff we knew who was behind it, it'd still get abused honestly. And plus, it's not anonymous then. The internet is hella anonymous anyways.
(see this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188538) thread from last summer too)

CassnovA
July 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM
i get the points against it, they are valid. it would stop people who wont reccomend this place to their friends though because of what they might read

1_21Guns
July 27th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I told a few friends about this place regardless of what I had posted. They didn't particularly stay active very long either. I'm also on the fence about it but to be honest if you don't want to get found out it's you, don't have any information on your profile that makes it totally obvious its you. Like Val said, the internet is probably as anonymous as it gets. If you wanted to tell your friends, they'd be friends you have already talked about/already know of what you're posting (unless it's P101, nobody can be prepared for that).
I just don't think it's needed, I'm fairly sure a few users have offsite links (like tumblr) where you can ask questions on anon and they'll post them for you, but an overall anonymous option would cause an absolute riot

ImagineRepublicCity
August 2nd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Well actually, I see how this would be useful. One of my friends are on this as well and it's very frustrating because I'm pretty sure he showed my other friend my posts.

I think a better alternative would be to make a post anonymously, but an admin must verify it first to make sure if it's okay or not. This is how it works on a Sex Education Group I'm on, they send the question to the admin and the admin posts it for them.

Something like that possibly?

JAB555
August 3rd, 2014, 10:56 PM
Well, I have to say, this could be useful, but I'm just seeing nothing but abuse from this. I think I'd have to agree with Val on this, in the sense that the Internet is pretty annonomous in the first place. And, I highly doubt someone will judge you for what you say. It just doesn't sound like something a bunch of teenagers would do.