PDA

View Full Version : Purging, tooth decay, and brushing your teeth?

InfinantSilence
July 21st, 2014, 08:16 PM
A few months back I found a post here about a guy who would make himself throw up after almost every meal. He did that for probably years and suddenly his health took a decline. It wasn't because he was malnourished. It was because the stomach acid had caused tooth decay and he had blood poisoning. Now he never said how frequently he brushed his teeth.... Or at least i don't remember. I'm assuming twice a day?

Any who I'm wondering if you brush your teeth after every meal and every time you purge, will it still cause tooth decay? Or at least slow it down?

dame
July 22nd, 2014, 11:18 PM
Regardless if you brush your teeth or not after purging, your teeth are still going to get damaged. If you brush your teeth right after vomiting it actually causes more damage to the teeth, your enamel is already weak & vulnerable from the gastric acid, & when the abrasion from the toothbrush hits the enamel it causes further damage. Purging leads to many consequences, including weak, brittle teeth, swelling of the cheeks, & increased sensitivity.

Purging is not a healthy way to lose weight. It's a very tough habit to break & can lead to death. If you're trying to lose weight think of a more healthy alternative. Go work out, eat healthily, & be more active. When you purge, the weight you're losing is mostly muscle. Purging isn't going to make your body look good, honestly. Your skin will me loose, you'll have little/no muscle tone, & you'll still have certain areas of fat. When you stop purging your body is going to start storing all the fat that you eat. Your desired results won't last, either. That's why I strongly recommend a healthier alternative.

Good luck, & I hope you do well.

VictoriaGotaSecret
July 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM
After you purge you aren't supposed to brush until about 15 minutes later, not right after and not too long after. But brushing or not purging still causes tooth decay and whole lot of other things.

1_21Guns
July 27th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Over brushing your teeth can also be harmful, but as others have said you shouldn't do it straight after vomiting, similarly to not doing it straight after eating.
I'm not going to lecture you about purging, but I do have a friend that suffered with Bulima for years and she told me about this app (http://recoveryrecord.com/) which can help you recover and prevent your purges. It might not work for everyone, but it's probably worth a shot if you can get it, or I'm sure there's similar things out there :)
Good luck :hug3: