PDA

View Full Version : Psychologist questions and help.

parzzival
July 14th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I don't even know if this post is in the right place but just to start off strait foreword and to the point, I have trust issues. I also have many other issues. Like anger and social anxiety just to name a few. And i don't necessarily need help, I just want someone to talk to about things. I have no real friends, just associate. And when I try to talk to my mom about the things that I can talk to her about it just leads to us both getting pissed off and me leaving. So my question today is, If I have trust issues already and I have a difficult time opening up to my parents then how in the world would I trust some total stranger and open up? If any one has a suggestion please give it and if any one has a suggestion on how to get the ball rolling when I walk in and sit down it would be much appreciated. And another question, can therapists go against your wish and tell your parents something that you didn't want them to tell them? If so then I will never go to a therapist. I want to talk to someone about things that I would never talk to my parents about.

Karkat
July 14th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Usually therapists will prompt you with questions, so there really isn't a huge issue there.

As for the other thing, it depends on what, and possibly where. Ask your therapist what they can and cannot disclose to your parents.

USUALLY, it's along the lines of

-thoughts about wanting to hurt yourself (self-harm, suicide, starvation/purging)
-thoughts about wanting to hurt others

Anything beyond that you usually have to sign off on for consent. They may share the information with a few other people (hospital workers, etc. If you are hospitalized for reasons relating to mental health, or your GP if they cannot prescribe medication, but this depends on what the laws are where you are as well.) but not your parents. In most places, it is illegal for them to disclose this information without your consent.

1_21Guns
July 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM
The main thing to remember about therapy, and something your therapist should tell you is that you are in control, you don't have to do or say anything you don't want. They do typically start the conversations and ask questions, but as it's about expressing your feelings it's kinda just having someone to ramble on at.
As Ren said, as far as disclosure, every therapist should have a non-disclosure agreement which states in which cases they will have to inform your family (such as as said above if you're a danger to yourself or others) but they should explain what the boundaries are.

thatgothgirluknow
July 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
therapist cant disclose anything unless u or some else is at risk self harm can vary for each one mine wont even tell my parents if i cut as long as im not having suicidal thoughts although most other are more strik but for the most part if ur not suicidal cutting in dangerous places starving or thinking about hurting someone nothing will be disclosed unless u want it to be

ViolinPro
July 15th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I had only one psychologist in my life and I was never really suicidal (I know that therapists can tell your parents if you are really out of control whilst declaring your ultimate suicide soon). I did not trust at first, but after 2 sessions I talked to her like to a long time friend. It all smoothed in like a knife through butter.
I did tell my therapist some.. harsh things and that I did want to hurt people in the past, but somehow she took it well and communicated with full understanding.
Just talk calmly, confidently and let yourself trust the therapist. It's really worth it.

parzzival
July 20th, 2014, 12:52 AM
I had only one psychologist in my life and I was never really suicidal (I know that therapists can tell your parents if you are really out of control whilst declaring your ultimate suicide soon). I did not trust at first, but after 2 sessions I talked to her like to a long time friend. It all smoothed in like a knife through butter.
I did tell my therapist some.. harsh things and that I did want to hurt people in the past, but somehow she took it well and communicated with full understanding.
Just talk calmly, confidently and let yourself trust the therapist. It's really worth it.

I know what your talking about. I worked as a PA for my mom who was a secretary at a place for psychiatric help. Talking to them, even if its not about you or them they are very calming people. And quite often they come from a harsh background as well. so that's why there so understanding.

ViolinPro
August 9th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I know what your talking about. I worked as a PA for my mom who was a secretary at a place for psychiatric help. Talking to them, even if its not about you or them they are very calming people. And quite often they come from a harsh background as well. so that's why there so understanding.

Exactly? :p Any luck since the time you first posted?

parzzival
September 4th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Exactly? :p Any luck since the time you first posted?

sadly I havent gone yet. i was hesitent at first but now that i am back in school I don't have time to go see one.

ViolinPro
September 10th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Well if you feel like you're in control and can manage daily things on your own, then don't go).