PDA

View Full Version : PTSD board

Gottaloveaginger14
July 9th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I think it would be really helpful if you added a PTSD section to the mental disorders section. I know I suffer from PTSD and based on what a lot of people say in the Abuse section it sounds like they do too.

Melodic
July 9th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I don't know how many people suffer through it on here, but knowing a few people with PTSD in real life, I actually think it will help a lot.

Karkat
July 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM
The only problem I see is that the Mental Illness forums are kind of quiet. For instance, there are quite a few sufferers of bipolar disorder, but not many new threads or new posts in that section on a weekly basis.

Elysium
July 9th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Isn't PTSD a kind of anxiety disorder? We do have a section for anxiety.

Rayquaza
July 9th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I think this would be a great idea. I think this should also be a go-to place for any major trauma that someone may have just gone through and need immediate help. I think opening a new forum (and perhaps even placing it at the top if the forums list) would be really helpful for quickly posting an immediate help thread and also for PTSD concerns. I think this would be beneficial seeing as there have been countless times where an answer has come in too late in the forum because it may have not been seen and gone unnoticed.

ImCoolBeans
July 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Isn't PTSD a kind of anxiety disorder? We do have a section for anxiety.

This.

Post traumatic stress disorder is an anxiety disorder, all posts regarding PTSD can be posted there.

Gottaloveaginger14
July 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
This.

Post traumatic stress disorder is an anxiety disorder, all posts regarding PTSD can be posted there.

I actually suffer from PTSD and it's an anxiety disorder, but it's much more complicated than normal anxiety.
Anxiety can spawn from almost anything where as PTSD must spawn from a traumatic even which majorly impacted your life in some way such as a rape, being molested, being a victim or a crime or let's say having a bomb go off in your mothers face while you watched (just some personal traumas). PTSD unlike anxiety is not something that is most commonly treated and made better with coping skills and some times medication, while these are helpful in the treatment of PTSD, it's normally a long term treatment that may be for life and often times the effects of the disease only get better and do not go away. Secondly unlike anxiety disorders PTSD causes realistic and horrifying flash backs that can make it seem like you are actually reliving the event over and over. People with PTSD are at a much higher likelihood of committing suicide, developing self harm behaviors, eating disorders, depression and committing violent act. A board specificly for PTSD could help people who struggle with it lean on each other for support and help each other in ways that people with anxiety disorders cannot help because they don't fully understand what it's like to be living with PTSD.
If you want to know more about PTSD and things it can stem from and what it's like to live with it you can read my blog, there's a link in my signature.

ImCoolBeans
July 15th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I actually suffer from PTSD and it's an anxiety disorder, but it's much more complicated than normal anxiety.
Anxiety can spawn from almost anything where as PTSD must spawn from a traumatic even which majorly impacted your life in some way such as a rape, being molested, being a victim or a crime or let's say having a bomb go off in your mothers face while you watched (just some personal traumas). PTSD unlike anxiety is not something that is most commonly treated and made better with coping skills and some times medication, while these are helpful in the treatment of PTSD, it's normally a long term treatment that may be for life and often times the effects of the disease only get better and do not go away. Secondly unlike anxiety disorders PTSD causes realistic and horrifying flash backs that can make it seem like you are actually reliving the event over and over. People with PTSD are at a much higher likelihood of committing suicide, developing self harm behaviors, eating disorders, depression and committing violent act. A board specificly for PTSD could help people who struggle with it lean on each other for support and help each other in ways that people with anxiety disorders cannot help because they don't fully understand what it's like to be living with PTSD.
If you want to know more about PTSD and things it can stem from and what it's like to live with it you can read my blog, there's a link in my signature.

I understand that it is very different from "normal" anxiety, and i'm familiar with what PTSD is, but that doesn't change the fact that it is actually an anxiety disorder. The anxiety section is a section to post about any anxiety disorders in.

Gottaloveaginger14
July 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I understand that it is very different from "normal" anxiety, and i'm familiar with what PTSD is, but that doesn't change the fact that it is actually an anxiety disorder. The anxiety section is a section to post about any anxiety disorders in.

If you're opposed to a PTSD board then I would suggest a trauma board

ImCoolBeans
July 15th, 2014, 12:35 PM
If you're opposed to a PTSD board then I would suggest a trauma board

Trauma is a pretty vague topic. We have specific sections in the Psych Ward, such as Abuse, and Mental Crisis. If you gave a specific example of trauma I'm sure it would fit into one of the existing sections perfectly. PTSD is an anxiety disorder, and we already have an anxiety disorder section. I don't understand why we would have two sections for anxiety disorders, seems a little weird to me.

Something you have to realize is that as a forum, we can't have section for every topic under the sun. That's poor administration, and would result in the forums having innumerable amounts of sections receiving little, to no activity. You joined the site this week, stick around and post a little bit; I always suggest that you get a feel for the community before you start suggesting that we change it.

JoeB93772
July 17th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Trauma is a pretty vague topic. We have specific sections in the Psych Ward, such as Abuse, and Mental Crisis. If you gave a specific example of trauma I'm sure it would fit into one of the existing sections perfectly. PTSD is an anxiety disorder, and we already have an anxiety disorder section. I don't understand why we would have two sections for anxiety disorders, seems a little weird to me.

Something you have to realize is that as a forum, we can't have section for every topic under the sun. That's poor administration, and would result in the forums having innumerable amounts of sections receiving little, to no activity. You joined the site this week, stick around and post a little bit; I always suggest that you get a feel for the community before you start suggesting that we change it.

No offense to u all ur doin a great job but why cant u just put somthin for the kid i mean whats gonna happen

ImCoolBeans
July 17th, 2014, 10:22 AM
No offense to u all ur doin a great job but why cant u just put somthin for the kid i mean whats gonna happen

This:
The only problem I see is that the Mental Illness forums are kind of quiet. For instance, there are quite a few sufferers of bipolar disorder, but not many new threads or new posts in that section on a weekly basis.

Those forums are not the most active on the site to begin with, and if there is already a section that encompasses this topic, and happens to be more active than the other ones, there isn't any reason to split the topics, when PTSD is an anxiety disorder.