PDA

View Full Version : Make it easier for new members to send PMs

Caligari
July 7th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I know you wait until a member has 100 posts before they can send PMs to other members for good reasons, to prevent spam, harassment etc.
But 100 posts is a bit much, similar forums use 50 posts instead of 100.
I think 50 is more reasonable.

Ah, I see now that this has been discussed before.
I apologize for being redundant.
I guess it just takes me a longer time rack up posts.
But still, I don't understand why 50 wouldn't be enough for VT, when it's enough for other spam and creepy people-free forums (not naming [forum] names).
I just think it's something worth thinking about.
Perhaps you have a good reason like: " we tried 50 posts and then________happenned, in which case you could tell me.
Otherwise, I do believe I have a point.

xXl0sth0peXx
July 7th, 2014, 01:19 PM
The limit used to at one point be lower, and it did not work well.

Even with the limit being 100, you'd be surprised at the number of people who spam/post their way up there and then abuse the system.. if it were 50, we'd have at least double the people abusing the system. In the grand scheme of things, 100 posts really isn't a whole lot to get, and it could be a lot more honestly.

At this moment in time, I can guarantee that the PM limit won't be lowered; it's only asking for trouble.

Caligari
July 8th, 2014, 06:49 AM

Even with the limit being 100, you'd be surprised at the number of people who spam/post their way up there and then abuse the system.. if it were 50, we'd have at least double the people abusing the system. In the grand scheme of things, 100 posts really isn't a whole lot to get, and it could be a lot more honestly.

At this moment in time, I can guarantee that the PM limit won't be lowered; it's only asking for trouble.

I didn't know that (that a lower limit didn't work).
Thanks for telling me and now I understand why the limit is what it is.
I'm just surprised at what lengths people will go to to spam.

anrigirl
July 8th, 2014, 07:11 AM
What about a system where you can prove your identity via several social networks or something like that?

xXl0sth0peXx
July 8th, 2014, 07:28 AM
What about a system where you can prove your identity via several social networks or something like that?

It's so easy to be a catfish (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish).. Way to easy. It'd be almost impossible to have a system like that.

The other issue is that the limit isn't at 100 because we're afraid of fake people, but more for caution of cammers and people looking to trade pics/sex talk, & that's not something that can be proven via social media.

anrigirl
July 8th, 2014, 07:45 AM
It's so easy to be a catfish (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish).. Way to easy. It'd be almost impossible to have a system like that.

The other issue is that the limit isn't at 100 because we're afraid of fake people, but more for caution of cammers and people looking to trade pics/sex talk, & that's not something that can be proven via social media.

That's true, well I guess the current system works well :)

Uranus
October 29th, 2014, 10:03 AM

I agree with Val here. 50 seems incredibly low. And to be honest, at times 100 does seem low at times. Dozens of people register here on a daily basis. Some looking to make friends, some looking for answers related to puberty issues, and the other side of people who come looking for sexual favors.(Sexual webcaming, numbers, ECT.) and with the amount of people looking for that, it just would be incredibly difficult to set the limit to 50. And the P101 forums is the perfect place to spam up to 100. A girl awhile back added me and she had 100 posts in one day just by spamming in P101. I'm thinking maybe we should set it for 150 posts to PM. 50 is just chaos waiting to happen

ImCoolBeans
October 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Please don't bump old threads, pay attention to the date of the last post while posting. :locked: