PDA

View Full Version : Neverending sweet tooth

Kurgg
July 5th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Okay, this is not a serious eating disorder, but this is maybe the right place for this.

So, I like and enjoy all kinds of sweet edibles, as most of us do. However, always when I walk past a shop, I have an urge to buy something. So yeah, I'm kinda addicted to sugar. I'm not obese though and my teeth are in a good shape. I've never had caries since I was 9. The problem is that I spend IMO too much money to sweets.

So, what to do? Tips for gettind rid of sweet addiction?

JamesSuperBoy
July 5th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Get more money to spend on sweets.

Or just ration yourself - maybe gum is an idea.

Karkat
July 5th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Ok, you can actually be addicted to sugar (mostly psychological- however I've heard that because of what sugar is, you can develop a...Ghost dependency, physically, because you're taking in higher levels, so your body just gets used to it, I guess. Go carbs.) so good call.

IMO the best way to stop this is to actively plan out your sweets for the day. Throw away/put up your sweets so you're less likely to have them out tempting you. When you're shopping, make sure someone else is around, or buy the smallest amount you can, and say "I'll wait until I get home to eat this", etc. If you wait until you get home, eat it, if you can't, toss it in the garbage before you get there.

Learn to exercise self-control with it, and try to cut out most of the excess sugar you eat over time. Let yourself have a desert a night, or every few nights, so that you'll be able to still appreciate it, and have it there, but you won't be eating it constantly.

HUSTLEMAN
July 5th, 2014, 10:22 PM
#DealWithIt
No. JK JK How about taking a break from the sugar every couple days.
But do what I do, #DealWithIt

Melodic
July 5th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I used to have a horrible sweet addiction as well. I started limiting myself day by day, then putting myself on artificial sweetened things, and exercising. I still crave sweet foods time and time, but it's gotten to the point it isn't me going to the store and not leaving without a bunch of sugar.

Karkat
July 5th, 2014, 11:23 PM
I used to have a horrible sweet addiction as well. I started limiting myself day by day, then putting myself on artificial sweetened things, and exercising. I still crave sweet foods time and time, but it's gotten to the point it isn't me going to the store and not leaving without a bunch of sugar.

Minus the artificial sweetener thing (I'm allergic, I even have an epipen- though I've never had to use it, thank god.) this is me as well.

Plus I've got prediabetes, or at least a form of it (because prediabetes is more high blood sugar, and I'm the opposite) so I reeeeeally needed to get my butt in gear.

Elvalight
July 6th, 2014, 12:36 AM
That's easy! You don't have to give up sweet things, just substitute. Search sugar free recipes, I suggest stevia. Instead of coke, try sobe( I'm pretty sure most are made with stevia.) You can also use honey, though it has sugar in it. Instead of plain ice cream, get the no sugar added kind or frozen yogurt.

Kurgg
July 6th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Thank you. Unfortunately, most of you had understood me wrong. I don't have (yet) any health issues caused by sugar. I just spend too much money on it. Because I want to stop it, the other sweeteners won't actually help on it. I get rarely more money.

I'm still just psychologically addicted to sugar, so in theory, it is easy for me to quit it. However, if I go to shop, there is always so small threshold for buying candies or soda that I will always buy it. I usually eat the sweets as soon as I get it paid. Originally it was because I did not want to share with my brother, but now the urge is so big that I have to eat the sweets right away.

Ben_Frost
July 6th, 2014, 11:44 AM
What I do is think about other stuff I could buy with the money instead of spending it on sweets.