PDA

View Full Version : Questions about seeing a Psychologist

Dark_Desires
July 4th, 2014, 11:45 AM
So this is a few questions and ramble and hopefully someone can answer.

So about a month ago i Finally started seeing a Psychologist and so far i have had 2 appointments.So so far he's okay and i don't mind talking to him but i kinda feel like its been a waste.My mum came in the first time and explained a bit and the referral said i used to sh.So the next week my mum and i had a fight so we talked about that and a little about the person who abused me.
But i haven't really talked about what's really bothering me or what's wrong.

So the first questions is i know i have some form of Depression and Anxiety but can he diagnose me? i know its silly but i think i would feel better if i new what was wrong.

So i'm not getting any better currently and i'm not sure how i should mention
that i'm depressed anxious and have huge social anxiety constant panic attacks and freaking out even just been on my own or around anyone.I'm suicidal or thinking about it a large majority of the time.I seem to have really wild mood swings ranging from in the space of a hour across the day or even half the day.Suicidal depressed Happy Sad Angry fine numb lazy.

I can't control how i feel which doesn't help the wild mood swings either
and then at times i can act like me or like a different person.

So do i just go to my next appointment and say all of that? or do i write it down?.I'm guess i'm just struggling to get it out and i'm worried that this is a waste i mean how does he help me with this?.

Sorry for the lack or grammar and this been more a ramble.

Caligari
July 7th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I see a psychiatrist, but it's basically the same thing.
First of all everything should be between you and your doctor your mum should be so involved and interjecting that you had a fight, though I know she means well.
You can tell him you had a fight yourself.
What is his style?
What kinds of questions does he ask you?
What does he say?

I'd definately give it one more try, it usually takes a few times to know if the therapist is the one for you.

Dark_Desires
July 10th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I see a psychiatrist, but it's basically the same thing.
First of all everything should be between you and your doctor your mum should be so involved and interjecting that you had a fight, though I know she means well.
You can tell him you had a fight yourself.
What is his style?
What kinds of questions does he ask you?
What does he say?

I'd definately give it one more try, it usually takes a few times to know if the therapist is the one for you.

I think you misunderstood a little bit she just came in the first time and helped explain things a little bit that's it.But to answer your questions

You can tell him you had a fight yourself.I told him myself
What is his style?I'm not sure he just listens and asks things here and there
What kinds of questions does he ask you?He doesn't ask much at all just what i like or maybe what something is when i explain it.
What does he say?He just listens a lot and that's really about it.

Sorry if my answer is a bit vague my memory is Terrible.
Only 3 days until i go see him again and i'm still trying to work out how to
get over my social anxiety so i can get everything out and get the help i need.

BuryYourFlame
July 11th, 2014, 07:30 AM
In regards to how to tell him how you are feeling and what's been happening, at some point during the session he should ask you how your week/fortnight/etc. has been. At that point you have to make a conscious effort to tell the truth (using words/phrases like 'all over the place really' or 'overall, not that great', stuff like that). Counselling and psychiatry can only really work while you're being honest about your feelings otherwise the person who's trying to help you has no idea what they're actually meant to be helping with.
You've got nothing to lose by telling the truth, it's not like they can go and tell all your friends or anything like that. At worst the specific psychologist doesn't really work well with you, in which case you can just request a different one.

missedcall
July 11th, 2014, 10:48 AM
there are different approaches that they used. one may be characterising the problem. with me, i visited a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety. we characterised my depression into a figure and we named it. this approach is useful for certain people only, so if it's not the best fit for you it is completely fine, your psychiatrist will continue with a different approach or introduce you to another member who can introduce you to another approach.

i know it's hard to ask for help, however i admire your courage and it must be so difficult to finally seek for something professional related.

please do tell your psychologist every single detail of how you are feeling, apparently it really helps. if you feel uncomfortable or put on the spot by their questions, tell him/her - i remember i felt anxious when a question was thrown at me and i told my psychiatrist how it made me feel, soon we found ways to calm me down during the sessions. she turned away and asked or she didn't stare at me dead in the eyes - however, this makes it hard for them to do their jobs because their whole field is based on observing facial expressions.

i hope you will get better and everything will turn out okay - as they say.

don't cut your strings,
sincerely, n.

Dark_Desires
July 12th, 2014, 10:28 AM
In regards to how to tell him how you are feeling and what's been happening, at some point during the session he should ask you how your week/fortnight/etc. has been. At that point you have to make a conscious effort to tell the truth (using words/phrases like 'all over the place really' or 'overall, not that great', stuff like that). Counselling and psychiatry can only really work while you're being honest about your feelings otherwise the person who's trying to help you has no idea what they're actually meant to be helping with.
You've got nothing to lose by telling the truth, it's not like they can go and tell all your friends or anything like that. At worst the specific psychologist doesn't really work well with you, in which case you can just request a different one.

there are different approaches that they used. one may be characterising the problem. with me, i visited a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety. we characterised my depression into a figure and we named it. this approach is useful for certain people only, so if it's not the best fit for you it is completely fine, your psychiatrist will continue with a different approach or introduce you to another member who can introduce you to another approach.

i know it's hard to ask for help, however i admire your courage and it must be so difficult to finally seek for something professional related.

please do tell your psychologist every single detail of how you are feeling, apparently it really helps. if you feel uncomfortable or put on the spot by their questions, tell him/her - i remember i felt anxious when a question was thrown at me and i told my psychiatrist how it made me feel, soon we found ways to calm me down during the sessions. she turned away and asked or she didn't stare at me dead in the eyes - however, this makes it hard for them to do their jobs because their whole field is based on observing facial expressions.

i hope you will get better and everything will turn out okay - as they say.

don't cut your strings,
sincerely, n.

Thank you both for replying.I will try something like you suggested when he asks that and try my best to be honest.The part that makes it hard been honest is i'm uncomfortable talking face to face with anyone or speaking it just terrifies me to the point of panic attacks.But i need to try if i want to get help.And Thank you both for the Advice and replying.