PDA

View Full Version : Hide/spoiler tags

Gamma Male
June 30th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Does VBulletin not allow for spoiler tags? Because I don't see why we don't have them. Lots of forums have them, and they really are useful for 2 main reasons.

1 If you're talking about a videogame or story and don't want to give away the ending, you can put in in spoiler tags.

2 If you're talking about something like selfharm, or something that may act as a trigger for sone people you can hide it

and 3 Some posts, especially in RotW, are really, really lon. It'd be nice if you could choose to hide the posts you're writing in spoiler tags.

I just think they're a necessity for a lot of forums and I'm not sure why we don't have them.

Remora
June 30th, 2014, 11:44 PM
This is a great idea and i support it, pretty much what Gamma Male said.

Karkat
July 1st, 2014, 12:22 AM
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203743&highlight=Spoiler

It's been explained why this might not be a good idea a couple times, and it makes total sense to me.

CosmicNoodle
July 1st, 2014, 12:33 AM

It's been explained why this might not be a good idea a couple times, and it makes total sense to me.

Yup, makes sense ^

Gamma Male
July 1st, 2014, 01:01 AM

I don't see how that would really be much of a problem. I mean, how much time does it take for a mod to click on a spoiler tag to see if there's anything inappropriate? And I don't see how they could be missed. Spoilers are usually pretty noticeable.

Karkat
July 1st, 2014, 02:07 AM
I don't see how that would really be much of a problem. I mean, how much time does it take for a mod to click on a spoiler tag to see if there's anything inappropriate? And I don't see how they could be missed. Spoilers are usually pretty noticeable.

Well ultimately, it's Mike and Val's decision regardless, and they don't seem keen on it to begin with.

The posting volume on this site is pretty high, and there are...9 mods? I think? (Reg and global) I'd say at least 20-50 unique threads are posted on per day (lowball estimate), I'd say 2-5 people on average sign up per day (that introduce themselves), I'm sure there are at least a minimum of 100 posts per day. (SUPER lowball estimate) (Friendly reminder that my first day on the site, I posted 100 singlehandedly.)

So let's say an average day brings in 250 posts. Let's say 1/25 posts has a spoiler, for whatever reason. Let's say 1/5 spoilers are edited.

Ok, so that's only 6 posts and 1 edit a day, not too bad, right?

Eeeeeeeexcept

That's actually 250 posts and at least one edit. You have to look through every post to find the spoilers, right?

And that's just the spoiler posts. You have to look through all the other ones for the sake of looking through all the other ones. You still have the regular posts to mod.

I mean, it's not as if you're looking through 500 posts, or even necessarily 250 a day, but you don't know what posts have or haven't been read by the other mods.

Not to mention that we are ONLY dealing with posts now. You also have pictures, avatars, profile pictures, PMs, VMs, signatures, profile information, users in general (spammers, overage, aside from rule breakers), ban and freeze requests, bans and freezes, the list goes on. I mean, I don't know what the actual workload of reg and global mods are vs Mike and Val, but I do know that there's only 9ish of them, and this site pretty much gets posted on 24/7.

I mean, it is a lot of work, and these guys are VOLUNTEERS. They aren't paid, they have lives. They can only do so much. Sure, they could probably handle spoiler tags, they're pretty great at what they do, but if they feel that's asking a bit much, I respect that.

I mean, and this is just MY view on it all- I'm not a mod, never have been on this site. Sure, I was a mod and eventual admin on a forum once, but it wasn't even a fraction of the size of this site. So this is really just my estimation.

kryptonite
July 1st, 2014, 02:09 AM

I'd like to stand by my original opinion. They certainly make sense in some areas of the site. Maybe make a rule that says if someone puts something illicit behind a spoiler, the penalty would be more harsh. If the option to "show all" exists, then the mods wouldn't have to click everything. And since they can apparently see edits, then that's even less to worry about.

But my original idea...if you're watching a TV show that comes on once a week, why would you go in that thread before you watch the current episode? But...some TV shows don't air at the same time all around the world. A TV series that airs Monday nights in Canada may not air until several weeks later in Europe...or whatever...you get the idea.

And if it gets abused like the rep did, just take it away. We don't know if the system will be loved, abused, or even forgotten about until we try it.

Gamma Male
July 1st, 2014, 02:21 AM
Well ultimately, it's Mike and Val's decision regardless, and they don't seem keen on it to begin with.

The posting volume on this site is pretty high, and there are...9 mods? I think? (Reg and global) I'd say at least 20-50 unique threads are posted on per day (lowball estimate), I'd say 2-5 people on average sign up per day (that introduce themselves), I'm sure there are at least a minimum of 100 posts per day. (SUPER lowball estimate) (Friendly reminder that my first day on the site, I posted 100 singlehandedly.)

So let's say an average day brings in 250 posts. Let's say 1/25 posts has a spoiler, for whatever reason. Let's say 1/5 spoilers are edited.

Ok, so that's only 6 posts and 1 edit a day, not too bad, right?

Eeeeeeeexcept

That's actually 250 posts and at least one edit. You have to look through every post to find the spoilers, right?

And that's just the spoiler posts. You have to look through all the other ones for the sake of looking through all the other ones. You still have the regular posts to mod.

I mean, it's not as if you're looking through 500 posts, or even necessarily 250 a day, but you don't know what posts have or haven't been read by the other mods.

Not to mention that we are ONLY dealing with posts now. You also have pictures, avatars, profile pictures, PMs, VMs, signatures, profile information, users in general (spammers, overage, aside from rule breakers), ban and freeze requests, bans and freezes, the list goes on. I mean, I don't know what the actual workload of reg and global mods are vs Mike and Val, but I do know that there's only 9ish of them, and this site pretty much gets posted on 24/7.

I mean, it is a lot of work, and these guys are VOLUNTEERS. They aren't paid, they have lives. They can only do so much. Sure, they could probably handle spoiler tags, they're pretty great at what they do, but if they feel that's asking a bit much, I respect that.

I mean, and this is just MY view on it all- I'm not a mod, never have been on this site. Sure, I was a mod and eventual admin on a forum once, but it wasn't even a fraction of the size of this site. So this is really just my estimation.

But, they're already looking through all of that anyway. It's not as if spoiler tags would add to their workload. How much time does it take to open a spoiler tag? Less than a second?

And I understand that the mods are working really hard, I just don't see how exactly this would make it harder.

Karkat
July 1st, 2014, 02:25 AM
But, they're already looking through all of that anyway. It's not as if spoiler tags would add to their workload. How much time does it take to open a spoiler tag? Less than a second?

And I understand that the mods are working really hard, I just don't see how exactly this would make it harder.

They've pretty much already expressed that they feel it's problematic. If they feel it's not a good idea, we kinda have to listen to them because we aren't the ones doing it. It's none of our business, really, to decide what their jobs should or shouldn't be.

Elysium
July 1st, 2014, 06:21 AM
I've actually been advocating for spoilers to be enabled in TV & Cinema and The Open Book, but it's still under discussion - I'm not sure if it's even possible to make BBCode exclusive to certain forums (without a mod). Do know that it's been mentioned before, and is under discussion.

phuckphace
July 1st, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've actually been advocating for spoilers to be enabled in TV & Cinema and The Open Book, but it's still under discussion - I'm not sure if it's even possible to make BBCode exclusive to certain forums (without a mod). Do know that it's been mentioned before, and is under discussion.

I've never heard of a forum that enabled spoilers only for certain subforums. what would be the problem with having it available everywhere?

kryptonite
July 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM
I've never heard of a forum that enabled spoilers only for certain subforums. what would be the problem with having it available everywhere?

As said elsewhere, people could post topless or underwear pics in the puberty threads and put them behind spoilers. Now, in a thread discussing a certain TV show, "click to reveal" could come in handy when talking about a certain episode or even what you think may happen in next week's episode.

And I'm sure it could happen only in certain sections. This VBulletin software is hackable beyond belief. Anything's probably possible.

Gamma Male
July 1st, 2014, 02:30 PM
As said elsewhere, people could post topless or underwear pics in the puberty threads and put them behind spoilers. Now, in a thread discussing a certain TV show, "click to reveal" could come in handy when talking about a certain episode or even what you think may happen in next week's episode.

And I'm sure it could happen only in certain sections. This VBulletin software is hackable beyond belief. Anything's probably possible.

That's where I just don't understand, how much time could it possibly take to open a spoiler tag?

Elysium
July 1st, 2014, 03:35 PM
It's a bit of a compromise, really; the only forums where I can see it being actually useful would be The Open Book and TV & Cinema. Why would it really come in handy anywhere else?

xXl0sth0peXx
July 7th, 2014, 01:02 PM
It would make moderating a lot harder for sure, and it'd be so much easier for people to get away with things. We would literally have to go to every thread, check for spoilers, and open them. It would be an extreme hassle in certain areas, and frankly, we'd have to open them in all areas of the forum, because I'm certain some people would try and get away with unrelated/inappropriate content in spoilers.

I standby what I said in the other thread linked above, as well as what Mike said. I also don't know, as said above, if you can have BBCode in one forum and not another; we have enough space issues as it is, and installing an addon to make that possible would not be wise usage of our space. I also think it looks a bit odd to allow a BBCode in one place and not another. That'd be like saying well you can use post quotes in GD sections, but in H&A, you can't. It looks sloppy to an extent too.

I don't know honestly, I'm not a fan of spoilers to begin with, and we have to take a step back and remember that VT is a help and advice site.. and while we do have fun forums and things that may or may not benefit from spoilers, I don't know if they're really the thing for a H&A site.

DerBear
July 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I agree with Val :D

I believe it would make moderating slightly more challenging when it comes to potential slippages as said in the thread linked above. Plus like Val said VT is a H&A site primarily and we don't need spoilers on a H&A site and to install mods (if they exist) to make it forum specific could cause more issues than its worth.