PDA

View Full Version : post likes :)

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 08:36 PM
hey idk if this forum has had this before and i'm new so idk if my suggestion will be taken onboard because of that but i'll definitely stick around but yeah anyway is it possible for you guys to implement a liking feature?

so that if somebody agrees with a post they can show their support by giving a like :)

i understand it can be abused but at the end of the day it doesn't effect anything such as reputation/'points' so it won't matter however if someone sees a person abusing it they can simply report them?

just a suggestion :metal:

Plasma
June 27th, 2014, 08:38 PM
That would be cool, but this is a help site, and not a popularity site

miley
June 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM
good idea

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM
that's what i mean by it not contributing to any sort of reputation/points

it would solely just show who agrees and who doesn't :p

Luminous
June 27th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Well, I've been on a vBulletin forum with a 'thanking' feature that wasn't abused. It was a button next to Quote/Multi/Quick that said Thank, and under your post it said something like "The following members thanked this post" and listed those members. It was basically used to show liking or agreeing with a post. I would not want a dislike button, that just seems rude and people would get in fights about it. But thanking? I don't think that's such a bad idea.
EDIT: Example: You have someone that's created a post in C&SH, asking for alternatives to cutting. Someone gives them a good one, they thank the post. It might also help to reduce spamming, less people saying 'thanks' to every single post in their thread.

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Well, I've been on a vBulletin forum with a 'thanking' feature that wasn't abused. It was a button next to Quote/Multi/Quick that said Thank, and under your post it said something like "The following members thanked this post" and listed those members. It was basically used to show liking or agreeing with a post. I would not want a dislike button, that just seems rude and people would get in fights about it. But thanking? I don't think that's such a bad idea.

yeah like that :)

Elysium
June 27th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Uhh, I don't want to leave this without a response so... I do remember this being suggested & discussed in the past. I'm not sure what came of that discussion. As long as there's no record of how many likes a user receives (and definitely no dislikes), I don't really see a huge issue.

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 08:55 PM
sorry idk how this site works most sites i use have a dislike one so just threw that in there

but yeah i agree with there being no record because there's no need for competition

Elysium
June 27th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I'm apprehensive about dislikes because I could see it being used to bully others. After the fiasco we had with our previous reputation system, wherein it was abused and had to be removed, I definitely don't see dislikes going well. Basically, after eliminating any competitive aspect to it, I don't see why not, personally.

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 09:01 PM
ooh yeah i understand haha

but yeah would love for it to be implemented because sometimes i see helpful posts and would like to give a bit of appreciation by just giving a simple thanks

Gamma Male
June 27th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Of course, that could always lead to people spamming trying to give advice to get "Thanks" to satisfy their ego, and then getting angry when nobody thanks them.

Just keep in mind that although it may work for other sites, this is a teen site, and many of the teens on here have low self esteem, which is why features like this may tend to turn into giant pissing contests that just end in hurt feelings. This is why in the past the admins have been very apprehensive about this kinda thing.

Personally, I don't think a simple "thanks" feature for individual posts would be all that bad of an idea though.

xXoblivionXx
June 28th, 2014, 02:03 AM
This kinda reminds me of the rep system that they used to have, I like the "thanks" button idea though

Rayquaza
June 28th, 2014, 04:18 AM
I thought the thanks system came with a gauge by every members name, just like the reputation system meter. If that is the case, surely the thanks meter gauge could be abused?

Vlerchan
June 28th, 2014, 07:34 AM
In my experience, at least as far as debating online went, it was a tool that tended to be used to force conformity. Like, certain posts would get thanked on the basis of what they were opposing and not on the basis of the posts actual merits. Now, I've never been on to care that an overwhelming majority disagree with my views, but I'm sure other users might not be all that fond of feeling marginalised. If it does get implemented here, I'd suggest introducing a measure that means you can only like X amount of posts a day; it might at least deter somewhat the behaviour I'm talking about above.

Anathema
June 28th, 2014, 08:25 AM
sorry like i said i'm new and don't really know the users/community yet so was just suggesting because sometimes it's easier to click a button instead of having to post and clogging the thread with "thanks" posts

Microcosm
June 28th, 2014, 05:52 PM
There is already an option to rate the post up to 5 stars. I think that works fine.

Gamma Male
June 28th, 2014, 07:03 PM
There is already an option to rate the post up to 5 stars. I think that works fine.

Isn't that only for threads?

Anathema
June 28th, 2014, 07:21 PM

wouldn't it be nice to see who thanked your post?
who knows it could start a conversation

lyhom
June 30th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't mind a like system with any sort of like-farming being against the rules, but I don't blame people for being hesitant with this considering how much of a debacle I remember the rep system was.

kryptonite
July 1st, 2014, 10:55 PM
Honestly, I don't think this would work. If you like a post, PM them, quote the post and tell them why you liked it..or, just quote it in the thread.

Body odah Man
July 2nd, 2014, 12:01 AM
That would be cool

Feraligatr
July 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I don't like this idea. We're doing just fine without it.

CosmicNoodle
July 2nd, 2014, 12:27 PM
I don't want to put a downer on this, I like th idea, but couldn't this lead to "like whores" as there is on Facebook with there like system? People just posting something to get these "likes" or "thanks".
But apart from that I really like this idea.

Remora
July 2nd, 2014, 01:20 PM
You wouldn't have the "like whore" system if it wasn't counted globally, just for a single post. Then instead of "Like" and "Dislike" just having "I Agree" or "Thank You" as a button would suffice too, and, better, also defeats the need of people having to reply to every single comment on their threads saying they're thankful.

Anathema
July 2nd, 2014, 04:32 PM
You wouldn't have the "like whore" system if it wasn't counted globally, just for a single post. Then instead of "Like" and "Dislike" just having "I Agree" or "Thank You" as a button would suffice too, and, better, also defeats the need of people having to reply to every single comment on their threads saying they're thankful.

couldn't have put it better myself :)

don't see why people would be against this really it doesn't exactly count as anything besides a quick way of thanking

i mean who really wants to go through the effort of PM'ing somebody when they could just thank them by clicking a button..
and of course they can quote them but that just clogs the thread

drunkbanana
July 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM
As long as you cant see "total posts likes" (if we can we will turn to TeenBook) it totally ok , and the thanking system sounds good . About that , what if only the topic starter can thank people's posts (because they helped him etc.)

xXl0sth0peXx
July 7th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I'm for this actually. I really think it'd be a good idea, and it's a nice compromise between rep and nothing.. especially for those who want rep back. I would hope that give that we are all 13 and older here, we can all handle ourselves in mature ways with a system like that, and not (for lack of better words) be "likewhores".

IF a system like this were to be implanted, these would (on a broad spectrum) be the things it'd hit:

1. Likes only - no dislikes. This encourages positivity, and not the negativity aspect of it.
2. No "like bar" - If you remember rep at all, or are familiar with it, it had a bar that was either green (for positive) or red (for negative), and it grew with points gotten and whatnot, and it showed how many rep points you had. We would have nothing like that for this, it would be shown only on that post, and that'd be the statistic kept.
3. As touched on above, it'd be visible on the post only.. for example, if Mike and Steven like this post, I'd be able to see on the post that 2 users liked it and that's about it. I'm iffy on whether or not names should be shown, however my thoughts are that if names are publicly shown, people might "likewhore" less, although I could be wrong.
4. It would be moderated 'strictly' (again, for lack of better words). We'd have some sort of clear cut limit/rule about it, and if you're seen abusing it, you would be restricted from using the system. Many mods out there give you the opportunity to ban individual users from using the system and whatnot.

One of the biggest issues in my opinion with rep was the negativity aspect to it, and I really think having a positive like system would be beneficial for the overall community, and since there's no total kept publicly anywhere, there's no real competition or anything. Again, I'm not saying this is happening, but I can say that it's been thought about and considered, and it's something that I am for.