PDA

View Full Version : social anxiety & new college

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 08:26 PM
hey guys i'm starting a new college in the september term and i'm hella scared
i was telling myself i was gonna be fine this time around because i'm going back onto sertraline soon hopefully and they sort of helped (not much but better than being my usual self) when i began taking them and so i was carefree about starting
so then i go to my interview which was all good because my mom did all the talking (however i did have to talk about my anxiety so that i could explain any additional needs i may have) and then she informed me that i have to attend a taster day this upcoming monday
i'm freaking out because i definitely won't have my medication by then and even if i did they'd be ineffective anyway so i'm so panicky
i haven't felt this nervous/anxious for anything since i had my doctors appointment having to speak about my anxiety (ironic how we have to do that huh?) anyway i really dunno how to deal with it because my last college i started was awful for me we had to keep talking to new people e.g. icebreakers and stuff and i get all sweaty and shaky etc.

i really do want to attend it though because it's the only way i'll know if the options i've chosen are for me etc. so it's very important that i go

idk if this is a question thread or just a place for me to let it all out (better than my other alternative) but i'm just so scared :(

miley
June 27th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I know ya worried now but im sure it will get better! I am also nervous plus i might be starting a new college but idk, you are worse than me so idk your situation rly
love u jon bae

Anathema
June 27th, 2014, 08:29 PM
love u loz u look perfect in ur av XXXXX

miley
June 27th, 2014, 08:30 PM
thanks u 2 XXXX

nikkissippi121
August 20th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I'm in a similar situation! I've been on Sertraline/Zoloft since I was 11 or so, and I'm starting college in 6 days. I'm very, very nervous, but I find when I'm on campus, I'm usually so preoccupied with what I'm doing and trying to be polite to everyone that I don't have much time to be anxious. I'd just suggest that you try to find a distraction - maybe bring an MP3 player or something like that - and remember that you can do it! When I started high school, I was so anxious about everything that I wouldn't enter a classroom if I were late and I wouldn't eat in the cafeteria - I never thought I'd be able to go to college, but I'm surprising myself all the time. Just keep your head up and do your best. :)

The Madman
September 2nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
I would say try to find someone in your class to stick with. My best friend has anxiety and though I didn't know it for about half the year in college, we stuck close together and I helped her out with stuff. Maybe you can find that.