PDA

View Full Version : Thread locking

plebble
June 27th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I think that if I were to start a thread and eventually I found exactly what I was looking for, I should have the ability to lock that thread myself so that no more people can post on it.

I've seen that some other forums have this ability. Anyone else think it's a good idea?

Elysium
June 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Is it so difficult to report your thread asking a moderator to lock it? Or PMing a staff member? I'm a little hesitant to give people the ability to lock their own threads, as I'm sure it would be abused somehow. People never fail to amaze me in that regard.

Anyhow, you'll get the fastest response if you report a thread asking for someone to lock it.

plebble
June 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Is it so difficult to report your thread asking a moderator to lock it? Or PMing a staff member? I'm a little hesitant to give people the ability to lock their own threads, as I'm sure it would be abused somehow. People never fail to amaze me in that regard.

Anyhow, you'll get the fastest response if you report a thread asking for someone to lock it.

Well no, it's not difficult, but it's more convenient. It could be tested for a short amount of time and if people abuse it then fair enough, don't allow it. It just seems a bit bothersome (possibly to the staff member and/or the thread owner) to ask to lock a thread of yours. I realise it wouldn't happen often, but still.

DerBear
June 27th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Well no, it's not difficult, but it's more convenient. It could be tested for a short amount of time and if people abuse it then fair enough, don't allow it. It just seems a bit bothersome (possibly to the staff member and/or the thread owner) to ask to lock a thread of yours. I realise it wouldn't happen often, but still.

It could be abused horribly in sections like ROTW.

Elysium
June 27th, 2014, 06:56 PM
What Derri said. Not to mention, it would also come with the ability to unlock threads as well as lock them (to my knowledge).

Locking threads takes a second for us to do. Reporting takes a second for you to do. There's really no inconvenience.

plebble
June 27th, 2014, 06:57 PM
It could be abused horribly in sections like ROTW.

That is true.
Maybe just for specific sections? Or perhaps threads could be totally deleted from view as well if that's possible...

DerBear
June 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM
That is true.
Maybe just for specific sections? Or perhaps threads could be totally deleted from view as well if that's possible...

If members had the power to delete then this could lead to staff missing things. Even though when things get deleted, staff can see them, there would be too much risk in things getting missed.

In specific sections? Well what's the point if its only for specific sections, members would become confused and ask 'why can't I lock my thread in 'blah' section' and not only that, but for those sections where you couldn't auto lock your thread you'd still have to ask a moderator to close your thread. So overall its much easier to PM or report your post and ask for a mod to lock it.

Meganium
June 30th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Could someone explain how locking the thread could lead to abuse? I completely understand when it comes to deleting posts within the thread, but if the thread is completely unchanged forever after it's locked, then what's the concern?

Also, how would this lead to a problem in ROTW like Derri said?

Typhlosion
June 30th, 2014, 03:39 PM
"I don't like your opinions, I'm right, I'll deactivate XXXXXX. You're attacking me! :("

Switch XXXXXX for...

VT: posts
YT: comments & rating

Also, a really fun discussion could be ongoing on lock time. it's unfair for all.

Meganium
June 30th, 2014, 04:35 PM
"I don't like your opinions, I'm right, I'll deactivate XXXXXX. You're attacking me! :("

Switch XXXXXX for...

VT: posts
YT: comments & rating

Also, a really fun discussion could be ongoing on lock time. it's unfair for all.

Gotcha. Hadn't thought about that, thanks.

kryptonite
July 1st, 2014, 02:14 AM
That is true.

It's my understanding that as posts get deleted, the database becomes more and more corrupt. What some websites do is have secret forums that only staff can see that they'll move posts to. These hidden forums will keep the posts around, but out of sight from regular people...this way, the database doesn't get all screwy.

My advice would be just to hit the "report" button and wait...what, about two to four hours max?

Karkat
July 1st, 2014, 02:22 AM
That is true.

You always have the option to lock diary threads. Just sayin'

I think what most members do (edit OP to 4 random characters and report it) does pretty well as far as "hiding from view". You have to remember that this IS a public forum, so if you're gonna regret posting something later, just don't do it.