PDA

View Full Version : IRC-channel?

Kurgg
June 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Have you guys considered setting up an IRC-channel instead of chat room? It is at least much cheaper, if not free option (Bouncers usually cost. I don't think you can get a reliable free bouncer) and one can access it even with a phone using a webchat.

Gamma Male
June 26th, 2014, 12:35 PM
A chatroom that works for phones? I'm in!

ImCoolBeans
June 26th, 2014, 12:36 PM
We've considered it, we had one in the past, but we don't want to have an IRC chat. We would rather have addonchat. It's much more secure, and simple. It does what we need it to, and we don't want to get rid of it.

DerBear
June 26th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Its something that was used in the past like Mike said but sadly it wasn't really user friendly and the VT room that was available (we shared with Govteen) wasn't used all that much by VT users. Plus you tended to have a rather weird crowd hang out in the main lobbies that given half a chance might solicit you.

Overall the addon chat is easier, more secure, better looking and makes moderating a ton more easier.

Gamma Male
June 26th, 2014, 06:28 PM
It would still be nice to have mobile chat.

ImCoolBeans
June 26th, 2014, 09:13 PM
It would still be nice to have mobile chat.

http://virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210447

The Wanderer
July 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM
an unofficial IRC would most likely be hosted through a 3rd party. in that case it would be easy for predators to find their way in, now if this were hosted on a private server only known about by the VT users then it would be safe and a moderator might give it the Okay signal, assuming we had a way for current chat moderators to be able to moderate this IRC chat. however it is unlikely that would be the case.

Kacey
July 12th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I know of a server hosted by some friends from Minetest. There are only a few channels in total on it. If you guys want me to, I could make a channel for us.

DerBear
July 12th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Okay so I'm wondering....

Why would you want to go and download an IRC client such as mIRC or another type or use a simple java based client, to create a chatroom which isn't all that specular. When you have a chat room available on site, logs you in within seconds etc.