PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room Emoticons?

Typhlosion
June 20th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Hey look, a chat room suggestion unrelated to mobile! :P

I just feel that the options in the Chat Room are, if not lackluster, at least different than the website. I'm not saying that it needs all the website's emoticons (which are already so quantitative) but a few more would be nice, and/or even changed to the smiley style used in VT.

http://image.bayimg.com/0fa63630e6ed6b2cdae9ec12b58b39344fb62cfa.jpg

These three might not have gone out clearly:

:hug::furious::lol3:

EDIT: It only seemed clear when I was writing, but when I posted all 18 smileys I meant the ones that appear to the right when in advanced editing mode.

Karkat
June 20th, 2014, 02:54 AM
It depends on what the chat room runs on, exactly, as well as how much control Mike and Val actually have over the website.

I mean, if VT is set up independent from a site maker, etc. it's probably possible, but if they have to use someone else's design and structure, this might be hard/impossible.

Typhlosion
June 20th, 2014, 02:59 AM
AFAIK, on the chat's site,

Add your own emoticons
Use our built-in emoticons and/or your own GIF, JPEG, or PNG emoticon images to give your chat room even more personality. Now, when a user types :) - or any other trigger that you add - they'll see the image that you've added instead.

Is included on every non-free package. I wonder if there are any other limitations as well.

Karkat
June 20th, 2014, 03:39 AM
AFAIK, on the chat's site,

Add your own emoticons
Use our built-in emoticons and/or your own GIF, JPEG, or PNG emoticon images to give your chat room even more personality. Now, when a user types :) - or any other trigger that you add - they'll see the image that you've added instead.

Is included on every non-free package. I wonder if there are any other limitations as well.

It shouldn't be a problem then, but obviously that's for them to decide.

xXl0sth0peXx
June 22nd, 2014, 10:48 AM
I mean we can add emotes; that facepalm creepy guy emote was one that was added, lmao.

I'm not against adding a few from the forums, but I don't think adding all of them would be smart. In terms of the chatroom, if we have too many emotes, I forsee it getting extremely spammy at times, and there's not a huge use for most of them. I could see adding a hug maybe and a few other simple faces, but I don't think any of the extravagant ones really fit in with it.

Are there specific ones you (plural, not directed at any one person) would like to see? (That doesn't mean they'll be added, but they can be considered.)

CrazyPerson101
June 22nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
What would be nice is if we could have something else besides that fire dragon thing , like click on it and it switches to a different pokemon or whatever :D

Typhlosion
June 23rd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Lol not all of them. The original image went down. Maybe a mix of the 18 "default" emotes and these? :3

Karkat
June 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Headbang

That is like my favourite emoticon. :P (Pipes in the member who never goes on chat)