PDA

View Full Version : Camping Noob

Melodic
June 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
So, the fact I said noob was kind of ironic to the post I'm about to create.

So this summer my mom wants us to go camping at least a few times, however she's thinking more like the middle of the woods camping. Like no wifi. Possibly peeing in a bush. And no schedule activities while being woke up to Yogi Bear. Well all I've ever learned was how to roast things on a stick, so err I'm kinda confused on how to go and do that kind of camping. Any tips?

AndrewWiggins
June 23rd, 2014, 12:47 PM
How often do you go camping?

Melodic
June 23rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
How often do you go camping?

Like woods camping? I only went when I was a little baby.
Camping in general? I've always went at least once a year until 2012. I want to start again though.

Typhlosion
June 23rd, 2014, 05:44 PM
Ah, the great old woods :)

Obviously, don't leave your skin exposed no matter the temperature. Long sleeves and pants are a MUST. You (probably) won't be too hard on food - your parents might have a outdoor portable stove - ask them about this. You'll pretty much eat one-to-two-ingredient meals the whole trip!

Oh, and have fun, of course!

TheN3rdyOutcast
June 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
I've never been camping, unless you count that one time in the backyard with my cousin, but even then I only lasted too hours before I got scared and ran inside with my tail between my legs.

Anyway, although it might seem like a "babyish" thing to do, I would bring some sort of lantern-ish thing to have in the tent at night.

Freckles
July 2nd, 2014, 06:05 PM
You'll love it if your like me. Take plenty of toilet paper, bug spray. Research the kind of trees and wildflowers where you are going to make it more interesting. Make sure to keep food locked up in a vehicle if possible so you don't attract racoons or other animals. You should also have a battery powered radio or weather radio in case the weather gets bad. I hope you have a blast!!!!!

thatcountrykid
July 14th, 2014, 02:46 AM
Always have a good knife and reliable fire scourge at all times. Waterproof, strike anywhere matches are the best for rookies

trustn01
August 9th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Make sure you have a big enough rucksack that fits you and has a waist belt. My personal preference are 100 litre military backpacks for several days and 50 litre ones for one day. You can't go wrong with military gear.
Go to the local surplus store. See if they have British MRE's, they are really tasty, nutritious and quick to heat.
Take a shovel. I'm serious, take one. You wouldn't believe how many problems during camping you can solve with a shovel. A foldable e-tool works best.
A knife is a must. I personally used a Finnish puuko, but I'm thinking of buying a Kukri or Skrama.
A small axe might be dandy, depends on whether there will be one where you will go, to chop firewood. A small saw can also help.
Take a small portable stove with weatherproof matches, fire tablets, a tea pot and tea (pick English breakfast if you are making tea for more than yourself. No one hates English breakfast, but a lot of people wouldn't drink Oolong or Pu-er). You can also take milk, powder or fresh.
Low profile tents work best.
Do not! leave open bags of food on the ground, unless you like ants. And bears, too. Marshmallows and sweets in particular.
If you are going for one night or more, you might want to find a suitable lake to bathe in and take water from. I'm not an expert on this, all the lakes here in Finland are safe to swim in.
Boil water before drinking it, or doing anything else with it.
Also, I recommend you wear a summer jacket instead of a long sleeve shirt. BW (bunderswehr) stuff is really good, if you don't mind the flags. New Russian uniforms are also really dandy, yet expensive. A BW summer jacket cost 1-5 euros.
Tip - take off the innermost layer of clothing when sleeping and stuff it in between your bag liner and your sleeping bag. They'll dry overnight and be warm in the morning.
Take a flint and steel in case your matches fail/you run out.
Hope this helped, and enjoy your camping! It is a great survival exercise as wells as being fun and I am glad that more of us are preparing for the inevitable.

AdamS
August 17th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Bug spray ^_^

Gamma Male
August 20th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Don't forget to bring a towel! :D

GoGoDiego
August 20th, 2014, 09:57 AM
The fun in that out-in-the-woods camping is you increase your resourcefulness and creativity. Make do and have fun.

AdamS
August 24th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Some kind of net. Did i mention bugs are evil??????

thatcountrykid
August 30th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Chemlights and wool military blankets are great. They may be scratchy but they are warm and hold 70% of its heat when wet.

Stronk Serb
August 30th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Zippo lighter or a smilar one, and a can of fuel for it. If you woumd up near a wasp nest, just spray it with fuel and burn the fuckers, while wearing covering clothes and having your face covered. Also knives are good. Also get some boots.

Nayef.al
December 5th, 2014, 05:32 PM
We go often camping with family in the weekend in the dessert it's ok with more people is fun :-)

Tony_777
December 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Wow, that is totally hard as our lifes depend on machines now hahaha.
Well, i guess i will need a good camera and both bateries fully charged in order to get great nature picture to keep myself buse

azure moonstone
December 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Please do not post in threads with more than two months of inactivity. :locked2: