PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Elections (Updated)

Sir Suomi
June 18th, 2014, 01:33 PM
As the title states, I'm suggesting that we run a Presidential election for the ROTW members. Now I know that I've suggested this previously, but I think it could work this time. Here's the stipulations:

In order to run for office, you must identify yourself to a political party, with at least 5 supporters in your party
You must have a Vice-President appointed
If there is someone else within your political party who also wishes to become the nominee, it's within the members of the party, withholding the contestants, to vote for their nominee
You must be able to answer questions over your political stance and opinions on topics such as the economy, social issues, and foreign diplomacy

After all these stipulations are met, you are an official candidate. After a certain amount of time is allowed for the political parties to be created, a thread will be made with the ability to anonymously vote for who you wish to be the President of Virtual Teen. The President won't really have any powers once elected, it's more of a bragging thing.

Well, what do you think? I'm open towards suggestions.

ImCoolBeans
June 18th, 2014, 11:11 PM
This has been done in the past, and has been a royal mess, which came with hurt feelings and resulted in people leaving the site, or wanting to.

Stronger
June 18th, 2014, 11:17 PM
When was this last done? Its a nice idea but I could see how it could cause quite the mess.

ImCoolBeans
June 18th, 2014, 11:18 PM
When was this last done? Its a nice idea but I could see how it could cause quite the mess.

2011, I believe.

Stronger
June 18th, 2014, 11:19 PM
2011, I believe.

Must have been done when I wasn't around.

ImCoolBeans
June 18th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Must have been done when I wasn't around.

I suppose so.

HUSTLEMAN
June 19th, 2014, 12:03 AM
This has been done in the past, and has been a royal mess, which came with hurt feelings and resulted in people leaving the site, or wanting to.

2011, I believe.

Let's give this another try. Now I wasn't here in 2011 so I don''t know what went down but this 2014 and more mature teens have joined the site so why not give this another shot. Analyze the problems of 2011 and this go around try not to make the same mistakes and moderate this event heavily and if any problems ztart to arise get rid of those problems and if this event fails again, well, you told us so. This seems to be a very fun idea so I beg of thee taketh this idea into consideration. I beg of you.

Gamma Male
June 19th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Huh. That sounds like a really cool idea.

Vote Gamma Male for the Green party! :lol:

I know this failed last time, but I think most of the people here actually interested in politics are mature enough to handle it. I'd support it. It might be a good learning experience too.

Camazotz
June 19th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Let's give this another try. Now I wasn't here in 2011 so I don''t know what went down but this 2014 and more mature teens have joined the site so why not give this another shot. Analyze the problems of 2011 and this go around try not to make the same mistakes and moderate this event heavily and if any problems ztart to arise get rid of those problems and if this event fails again, well, you told us so. This seems to be a very fun idea so I beg of thee taketh this idea into consideration. I beg of you.

No. Please not again. Mike knows that it's not worth it. I know you guys really want it, but it won't work, I assure you.

You know that expression, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me,"? It's like that, only I'm pretty sure we've had other similar events like the VT Awards where people get grouchy, rude, and disrespectful about these things.

It's a nice idea in theory, but the entire voting-thing has never worked well here, and I really don't anticipate it ever working out. I really hate sounding like the old guy refusing to give this a chance, but I need to stress that nothing good can come from this. Just because you and several others are mature enough to handle this doesn't mean the other members are.

ImCoolBeans
June 19th, 2014, 01:23 AM
No. Please not again. Mike knows that it's not worth it. I know you guys really want it, but it won't work, I assure you.

You know that expression, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me,"? It's like that, only I'm pretty sure we've had other similar events like the VT Awards where people get grouchy, rude, and disrespectful about these things.

It's a nice idea in theory, but the entire voting-thing has never worked well here, and I really don't anticipate it ever working out. I really hate sounding like the old guy refusing to give this a chance, but I need to stress that nothing good can come from this. Just because you and several others are mature enough to handle this doesn't mean the other members are.

Yes. Thank you. I really can't say it any better than that.

This will get very carried away, very fast. I really don't like the idea of this ever happening again... Anybody who remembers this last time will remember how sure of the same things you were, and will remember how it turned out. I'm having 'nam flashbacks just thinking about it.

Gamma Male
June 19th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Yes. Thank you. I really can't say it any better than that.

This will get very carried away, very fast. I really don't like the idea of this ever happening again... Anybody who remembers this last time will remember how sure of the same things you were, and will remember how it turned out. I'm having 'nam flashbacks just thinking about it.

Wow. Was it really that bad? :lol:

How exactly did it play out? How far'd you guys get?

ImCoolBeans
June 19th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Wow. Was it really that bad? :lol:

How exactly did it play out? How far'd you guys get?

Oh it went to the end. Adam (Aeturnus, might have a different username currently) won it once, I forget who won in 2011. It was just always filled with immaturity, tons of drama, people getting hurt, people making dramatic exits off of the site, and then coming back.

I'm not going to name names, but if anybody remembers the last times this happened, you guys remember what a horror show that was.

Vlerchan
June 19th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I know this failed last time, but I think most of the people here actually interested in politics are mature enough to handle it.
You can be sure people that are clueless about politics are going to want to get in on the 'fun' - which is where the problems would start.

Because I'm interested (but not supportive) though, what did it entail last time, as far as workings go?

HUSTLEMAN
June 19th, 2014, 08:58 AM
So for this we can only allow people with a certain number of posts actually run (i.e. to run for Prez you have to have at least 5000 posts and to run for VP 1000) and let everyone else vote. And you guys can heavily moderate the event and stop the problem makers before it ruins it and becomes another of your horror flashbacks.

Vlerchan
June 19th, 2014, 09:18 AM
How can I be expected to lead VT to glorious proletarian democracy if you're calling for such massive post counts?!

---

On a more serious and constructive note, and because this sounds fun in theory, I'll mention that I do believe it would be entirely possible and entirely workable to form some sort of party-based structure for dialogue in ROTW, where like-minded users get together and discuss principals, etc. amongst themselves. I do think that giving people, esp. teenagers, a taste of what it's like to engage in the political process is a good and wholly beneficial thing, and whilst I'm opposed to Austin's idea, I do think there's more feasible ways of implementing the base of what he suggesting, ways that don't involve direct competition (which, I feel, is what tends to result in these things getting out of hand).

Perhaps, if just creating manifestos and engaging in political debates works, and the users involved show a sufficient level of maturity, we could branch it out to running elections or whatever, though that'd be a fair bit away: for now, and it would be on a strictly experimental basis - with the moderation reserving the right to step in a pull the plug at any time, we'd simply be concentrating on intra-party dialogue, and perhaps extra-party negotiations. The reasons I'm supporting this is two-fold: firstly, ROTW, as mentioned before, can be an intimidating place for some users, and adding this more 'fun' and not-so-in-your-face-argumentative-(hopefully) element might be a hook to get people more involved in it, and secondly I think it's a great chance for users to get to know each other better through a platform of mature and serious discussion - though, that doesn't necessarily mean that sillyness is entirely banned, of course.

Sir Suomi
June 21st, 2014, 10:39 AM
So is this up for at least consideration, or are we just throwing it out the window?

DerBear
June 21st, 2014, 10:49 AM
I suppose so.

I believe 2011 was the last one done. I remember because it was like you said, a royal mess. I believe the 2011 one a person was but the amount of bitching and hair pulling that happened before, during and after the elections was a lot.

I've edited my above post.

Harry Smith
June 21st, 2014, 10:56 AM
The two biggest problems are that A) I doubt there's interest for it outside of about 15-20 that frequent the ROTW on a regular basis B) It would lead to people PMing saying vote for me etc- I mean you might as well just look on the political opinion thread and see what the general trend is

HUSTLEMAN
June 24th, 2014, 12:24 AM
So is this up for at least consideration, or are we just throwing it out the window?

I think they threw it out General.

kryptonite
July 1st, 2014, 10:53 PM
To me "voting" means "popularity contest."

Considering we did away with rep because people were voting for their friends and against people they didn't like (and probably ganging up with their friends to vote for/against each other), the last thing we need here is a popularity contest to break the harmony we try to have.