PDA

View Full Version : Language exchange forum

Whos_ur_Buddha
June 18th, 2014, 01:16 AM
okay so what i realized is that a language is hard to learn if you cant talk to someone who speaks it. I am currently learning Japanese but i cant get good at writing or grammar if i cant get a hold of someone who speaks Japanese. This could help others with the same issue and make learning a language more fun.

Gamma Male
June 18th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Wait, what exactly are you suggesting?

Typhlosion
June 18th, 2014, 02:40 AM
As always suggested, first try to make a user-forum dedicated to that. However, I'm not sure if that's allowed by the site rules, which explicitly states to post only English text.

It's an interesting idea. And those seeing, I'd help learn portuguese (lol)

xXoblivionXx
June 18th, 2014, 05:55 AM
If executed well I think this could work and be a really cool way to learn a language

Stronger
June 18th, 2014, 10:26 AM
A very interesting idea but it will only be that much more difficult to moderate, so I don't really see this happening.

Elysium
June 18th, 2014, 01:04 PM
A very interesting idea but it will only be that much more difficult to moderate, so I don't really see this happening.
This exactly. While I think having an area designated for speaking to one another in another language is a great idea, it's just too difficult to moderate. Google Translate is only effective to a point, you know? It does jumble stuff up quite a bit, not to mention, if you were to misspell something or somehow butcher it in another language, we'd never recognize it unless someone on staff was fluent enough in that language.

Camazotz
June 22nd, 2014, 01:49 AM
This exactly. While I think having an area designated for speaking to one another in another language is a great idea, it's just too difficult to moderate. Google Translate is only effective to a point, you know? It does jumble stuff up quite a bit, not to mention, if you were to misspell something or somehow butcher it in another language, we'd never recognize it unless someone on staff was fluent enough in that language.

Let alone any slang or cultural terms that mods/admins wouldn't understand.

It sounds like it would be a neat idea for a diary, but it opens up Pandora's box for spammers and such. Maybe advertise in your Signature that you'd like a penpal to speak with in Japanese (Tony AKA Jean Poutine made a thread like this for Portuguese). From there I guess you could PM each other (unless that's still against the rules) or Skype or something to converse in that language.

Ethe14
June 22nd, 2014, 03:25 AM
I like this idea a lot, regarding the whole moderation thing maybe you could recruit moderators who are fluent in the language. Anybody who is fluent in Portuguese could moderate that forum.

CosmicNoodle
June 22nd, 2014, 03:35 AM
I like this idea a lot, regarding the whole moderation thing maybe you could recruit moderators who are fluent in the language. Anybody who is fluent in Portuguese could moderate that forum.

Might be hard, because we would need a mod fluent in ever language that anyone would want to learn, say. If they wanted to learn Spanish, we would need a Spanish mod, or someone fluent in Spanish. What about the more obscure languages?
Good idea, but may he difficult as well.

Unless we had some sort of auto translate built in to the site, a very advanced one with auto correct and slang recognition, so the mods could easily read that threads say. I don't see the working. Cool idea though.

Ethe14
June 22nd, 2014, 05:32 AM
Might be hard, because we would need a mod fluent in ever language that anyone would want to learn, say. If they wanted to learn Spanish, we would need a Spanish mod, or someone fluent in Spanish. What about the more obscure languages?
Good idea, but may he difficult as well.

Unless we had some sort of auto translate built in to the site, a very advanced one with auto correct and slang recognition, so the mods could easily read that threads say. I don't see the working. Cool idea though.

Maybe we could only do the major languages like Spanish, Chinese, French, German (I could do that one) and an English forum for those who don't know a lot of English. Cygnus David could do the Spanish one for instance.

Feraligatr
June 22nd, 2014, 06:29 AM
I thought you weren't allowed to speak in languages other than English? I don't think this would work out. You could make a diary dedicated to this if you really wanted to.

xXl0sth0peXx
June 22nd, 2014, 10:41 AM
This isn't possible for a number of reasons, most of which were mentioned above. It's not a bad idea per se, but it's just not for VT.

The big thing is moderation, and that VT is English only. This would completely go against that, and it'd be so hard to moderate, and find people fluent enough who would be able and willing to mod. I don't know how Mike (ImCoolBeans) but as an admin, I'd also be uncomfortable with a forum where I have no idea what's being said, even if it is modded by someone who's fluent. I wouldn't want to mod someone either just because they're fluent or can speak another language.. that's not what VT is about.

Translation things are often not easy to use, and are often misleading and I don't think I'd want to install one on VT anyways.. I think it wouldn't be the most useful use of the space we have. It'd also be cluttering I'd assume, which again, I don't like the idea of. Assuming there's an addon for this.

I see no issue with making a thread to find people who speak a language you speak, or want to learn a language you do or whatnot.. It just can't be conversed on VT.

Whos_ur_Buddha
June 23rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Well can we make a language specific and you can only post in that language and English to help the moderators. Like Portuguese for example cause they mention that allot on this thread and Japanese.

Elysium
June 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Well can we make a language specific and you can only post in that language and English to help the moderators. Like Portuguese for example cause they mention that allot on this thread and Japanese.
That still doesn't fix the issue. It's easy enough to lie and make the English translation say one thing, when the actual text says something entirely different. I think Val summed up pretty well why this isn't possible.

Whos_ur_Buddha
June 23rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Okay thanks :)