PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of medication?

Hallie
June 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
So I know that I have bipolar disorder and currently my psych has me on medication for it but I've heard some things about medication for bipolar disorder that are less than comforting and I would like to try other coping techniques and see if it's enough without medication. I have bipolar spectrum disorder and my psych basically told me I get major depressive episodes that are as bad as people who have bipolar I, but my manic episodes are not as bad and happen less frequently. I go into hypomania more often than mania. I was wondering if I really do need to go on medication or if there are alternatives. What are the pros and cons of medication and if i shouldn't go on medication than how should I go about treatment?

Karkat
June 18th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Honestly, if it's only hypomania, it depends on how bad your depressive episodes are, as in how bad they affect you personally. If you're feeling suicidal, or they leave you unable to function in day-to-day life, you might need medication, but alongside therapy. Therapy, along with a good schedule/etc. is really the only alternative to medication, and it's something you should be looking into anyways.

Benjie95
July 27th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I'm on Olanzapine and Escitalopram which are both working really well. I think taking medication is fine as they really do work when you find the ones that work for you. I don't know many alternatives to meds but counselling is good.

TheN3rdyOutcast
July 27th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Honestly, if you're feeling horrible, then you peobably need it. I take Zoloft and coupled with therapy and some new coping mechanisms, I can keep my mood stable for the most part.