PDA

View Full Version : Hair pulling

Hallie
June 14th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I have trichotillomania which is a fancy word for an impulse control disorder where I compulsively pull out my hair. I also have OCD and I consider it one of my OCD habits because it's just like the others, but it's so hard to stop. I have bald spots and still I can't stop. I don't know why I keep doing it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

TheLoneWolf
June 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I do that too sometimes. Try to find something different to do. As soon as you notice you're pulling again do something different. You could wear a bracelet around your arm and just play with that. Always carry a rubber band with you to put in your hair.

If you cannot stop it do something you'll need both hands for. For example knitting, drawing, cooking something, hug your pet, go for a run.
Anything that can keep you from doing it.

Good luck, I know you can do it! :D

Karkat
June 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I don't know if this is an option that you're willing to consider, but for me, it's a lot easier with short hair. I usually only do it in times of severe stress now that I've had me hair clipped back quite a bit.