PDA

View Full Version : Is this a mental issue? Or just my personality?

Periphery
June 12th, 2014, 08:52 AM
So I've been feeling like this for the past year now.
I am still emberassed for the smallest mistakes I made, even if they were when I was a little kid. If I make a mistake now, or do something that may be emberassing, I still think about it for weeks, sometimes months.
Something similar I have is the fact I also feel guilty about everything I do wrong. I sometimes feel guilty or bad when other people make mistakes, or do something redicilous.
Is there something wrong with me? Or is this my personality?

Karkat
June 12th, 2014, 08:56 AM
"Something wrong with me" makes it sound like you have rabies or cancer.

Mental illness is different. A lot of people face it, whether or not they admit it, or even realize it.

That being said, it's inconclusive from what you've given me- that could be a symptom of many different things, including (somewhat ironically) possibly a personality disorder.

Periphery
June 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Alright, thanks for the fast reply.

ksdnfkfr
June 12th, 2014, 09:11 AM
It sounds like a disorder and I'm sure there's probably a name for it. As my therapist says, what you have often isn't as much of an issue as how it's effecting the quality of your life. Maybe the best way to deal with it is starting off talking to a school counselor or someone like that.

Karkat
June 12th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Alright, thanks for the fast reply.

No problem :)

It sounds like a disorder and I'm sure there's probably a name for it. As my therapist says, what you have often isn't as much of an issue as how it's effecting the quality of your life. Maybe the best way to deal with it is starting off talking to a school counselor or someone like that.

Absolutely agree. I mean, putting a name on the monster is comforting, but a name won't tackle the beast. (Though it might help you find it- pretty sure I'd have no idea that I needed mental help were I not such a hypochondriac)

Miserabilia
June 12th, 2014, 09:37 AM
You need to find out for yourself. Maybe you are just a perfectionist, however perfectionism can be a personality trait as well as part of mental issues or otherwise cause it, like anxiety.

Periphery
June 12th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Alright, thank for the replies!

Wheatley
June 15th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I am exactly the same. It's easier just not to go out because then I have less to regret. Do you think it could be some kind of social anxiety?

CosmicNoodle
June 15th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Well, I'm insane and I am quite like that.
However I think it's just a personality thing, a lot of my friends are like that from what I can gather.
But if it bothers you, see someone.