PDA

View Full Version : Views on keeping wild caught animal

Jevon
June 4th, 2014, 05:35 PM
So what are your guys views on keeping wild caught animals?

I personally own quite a few wild caught specimens of different fish in my aquariums but there is part of me that feels that it is wrong because someone just took them from whatever river or pond they were living in and sold them to live out the rest of their life in a tank with limited space...and considering how they were caught ( for example many wild caught fish are fought using cyanide to stun them ) can have a lasting effect on the ecosystem they are caught in...and this goes for all animals reptiles, birds, primates, etc....however the other part of me thinks that it is ok as long as the animal whatever it may be is properly taken care of has the proper living requirements and so on and so fort...however I do believe that in order to own them you must know what you are getting all the requirements for it mustn't have the enclosure setup and established and ready to house the animal you are getting.

Blood
June 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I believe the only reason you should own a wild animal is if it was raised in captivity and therefore unable to survive on it's own in the wild. Otherwise, they should be living in the wild.

Gamma Male
June 4th, 2014, 11:42 PM
It should be illegal in most cases.

Typhlosion
June 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if fish feel emotions. If they don't, at least you're keeping them alive better than themselves on the wild :P

But I'd rather leave the animals be.

Camazotz
June 5th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I believe the only reason you should own a wild animal is if it was raised in captivity and therefore unable to survive on it's own in the wild. Otherwise, they should be living in the wild.

^ This

If they don't, at least you're keeping them alive better than themselves on the wild :P

These animals were meant to live in their own environment and ecosystem, not in a domesticated household. Some animals (dogs and cats) have been domestic animals for thousands of years, so it's okay, but taking (exotic) animals from the wild for your own entertainment is wrong.

ImCoolBeans
June 7th, 2014, 12:25 PM

I agree with Jess. If an animal is in captivity, it should only be there because it was raised there and can't fend for itself in the wild. Wild animals should remain wild animals.

JamesSuperBoy
June 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I think wild should stay wild and not be kept caged - but for say breeding programs for wild release or such is okay -

micheal951
August 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM
The only way a wild caught animal should be in captivity is if it gets injured and has to be cared for, and in some cases it is impossible to return them back to the wild. In many cases it is also illegal to keep wild caught animals, depending on the species and the country/state you live in.

Typhlosion
August 10th, 2014, 02:08 PM
The only way a wild caught animal should be in captivity is if it gets injured and has to be cared for, and in some cases it is impossible to return them back to the wild. In many cases it is also illegal to keep wild caught animals, depending on the species and the country/state you live in.
Please do not post in threads with over two months of inactivity. :locked: