PDA

View Full Version : Alexithymia

CcRoder
June 2nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
So a while ago I had a post asking questions around lacking empathy. I recently found out a new word for feeling blind/dead to emotions, an inability to understand others emotions, unable to describe emotions and so on. It's called "alexithymia." Now I'm almost sure this is old news, but I just learnt it and I'd like to know how many here experience it?

It can happen to people with GAD quite often apparently, and it's more of a personality trait than a disorder but it would make sense for someone with anxiety to also have alexithymia.

CosmicNoodle
June 2nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
Hmm, can't say this effects me, I'm no professional.

But its interesting, thanks for sharing this

Microcosm
June 3rd, 2014, 03:37 AM
I didn't know there was a name for that, but I know what you mean... Only sometimes though. I take medicine now that prevents me from feeling this and the anxiety I have. Before I was on the medicine, though, I couldn't understand others emotions and why they got them. It didn't compute for me and I was literal about everything. The medication I take now has revealed my personality and allowed me to understand why others feel the way they do.

Karkat
June 12th, 2014, 09:44 AM
It's also quite common in the autism spectrum.

I have GAD, as well as OCD, Panic Disorder, and the general consensus is that I'm probably autistic in some way shape or form

Yeah, I experience it a lot.

Miserabilia
June 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM
It depends on my mood really, which sounds shallow but it really does. I need to take some time and thought before truly understtanding other's emotions which works best when I'm alone. So on some levels I know what you feel like with not being able to understand other's emotions, but I wouldn't cal myself alexithmic.