PDA

View Full Version : Iced Tea, Hot Tea, Or Sweet Southern Iced Tea

Lovelife090994
June 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Hi, which tea is your fave? Here in America whether you are Northern or Southern you know about iced tea, and hopefully you know of the famously delicious and charming Sweet Southern Iced Tea. Or do you perhaps like your tea hot? If so which type? I want your comments, suggestions and maybe recipes. Hehe, okay, let's sit back; I'm going to pour some homemade sweet tea in a mason jar courtesy of the South and sit on my patio and sip listening to the birds. Aww, bliss, stay tea everyone!

Remind me to post a Southern Sweet Tea recipe to anyone who is interested. I know most people outside the US find iced tea as either weird or a no-no but I can at least share a recipe.

http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/imagecache/600x500/southern_sweet_iced_tea.jpg

There are a couple of methods for making iced tea but the main thing of course is the tea. I'll type out a strong tea method and the method I use. Either works. Oh and you can always adjust the sugar since in other parts of the US or world for that matter the sweetness of tea when iced varies to taste.

Classic Quick Sweet Iced Tea

Base:
2 cups of boiling water
3 to 4 tea bags of Black Tea of any brand you choose (I like Lipton but Luzianne is popular as well).
Anywhere from 3/4 a cup to 2 cups of sugar. (Why so varied? It depends on who makes it, where you are, and it depends on what you like. Bear in the mind we'll dilute the tea later. I use around 1 1/c cup of sugar. I have yet to taste it with 2 cups in a while but this is my aunt's recipe. And bear in mind that in Louisiana they like it sweet so go to 2 cups)
Optional 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice for lemon tea.

Remaining:
Fill a pitcher with the base and enough cold water to fill a 2 quart pitcher.

Bring two cups of water to a boil. Next add the 3 to 4 bags of Black tea (I use four since I like my tea strong) and let sit for AT LEAST 20 minutes. The longer it sits the stronger the taste. Remove the bags and don't press them.
Add the sugar and stir in to dissolve. Add lemon juice now if you wanted lemon tea.
Next pour hot concentrated tea base in the 2 quart pitcher. Next fill with ice-ice cold water. Put in freezer (IF NOT GLASS) for twenty minutes or the fridge for about an two hours or so for it all to set.

Pour in a glass or a mason glass jar and serve with a lemon slice at the cup for décor or to add to your iced tea.

My version!------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
Base:
2 cups of water
4 bags of black tea (Lipton)
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar

Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil and add the tea bags. Let them steep for at least 2 hours to a whole day for the best and strongest tea taste. Remove the bags. (If you plan to steep this for a long time then before you steep add the sugar since you'll have to bring the tea to simmer to even dissolve the sugar in it.

Once set, transfer to a 2 quart pitcher. Fill pitcher with cold water till cool and sit in fridge for 2hours to overnight to set. Remove pitcher, serve in glasses or mason glass jars with a lemon wedge on the side of the glass for a person to add their own lemon or not and presto. Enjoy my lovelies.

Harley Quinn
June 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Most of the Iced Tea or whatever here in England, is flavoured so it's really sweet, like I personally like it if it's sweetened with mango or lemon or peach or something of that nature, sometimes I don't mind an iced green tea. Being a coffee fan, the only tea I will drink will be iced. I do make my own iced tea too sometimes at work, summer berries is my latest one and it tastes absolutely delicious. I do find iced tea to be extremely refreshing.

Gamma Male
June 2nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Iced sweet tea with lemon. Lipton and Luzianna are the best brands.

Ethe14
June 2nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Iced sweet tea with lemon, peach or mango. Tea is so refreshing especially on a hot day.

Hollywood
June 2nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
Sweet iced tea is the only way to go. I had to drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea when I lived in California and it was absolutely awful.

TheN3rdyOutcast
June 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
I don't care if it's southern or not, sugar makes EVERYTHING taste better.

Luminous
June 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I loooove sweet tea, and I live in Massachusetts! I've never made my own before, so please do share the recipe :)

Abyssal Echo
June 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
I like sweetened and flavored Iced tea in the summer hot tea in the winter months.

Miserabilia
June 2nd, 2014, 01:05 PM
Ugh I strongly dislike the flavour and feeling of cold sweet ice tea...
/:

Lost in the Echo
June 2nd, 2014, 04:01 PM
Definitely iced

Syvelocin
June 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM
Summer is unsweet iced green tea with lemon and winter, I like hot chai with a couple bits of rock sugar. Sweet iced tea imo is way too sweet, but I think that about most sweet things.

conniption
June 2nd, 2014, 08:19 PM
Sweet iced tea all the way.

Lovelife090994
June 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
Ugh I strongly dislike the flavour and feeling of cold sweet ice tea...
/:

Then indulge me. Which tea or drink do you prefer. Surely you like something. It doesn't have to be sweet tea or iced. I am well aware how some cultures feel on the subject of cold tea.

I loooove sweet tea, and I live in Massachusetts! I've never made my own before, so please do share the recipe :)

There are a couple of methods for making iced tea but the main thing of course is the tea. I'll type out a strong tea method and the method I use. Either works. Oh and you can always adjust the sugar since in other parts of the US or world for that matter the sweetness of tea when iced varies to taste.

Classic Quick Sweet Iced Tea

Base:
2 cups of boiling water
3 to 4 tea bags of Black Tea of any brand you choose (I like Lipton but Luzianne is popular as well).
Anywhere from 3/4 a cup to 2 cups of sugar. (Why so varied? It depends on who makes it, where you are, and it depends on what you like. Bear in the mind we'll dilute the tea later. I use around 1 1/c cup of sugar. I have yet to taste it with 2 cups in a while but this is my aunt's recipe. And bear in mind that in Louisiana they like it sweet so go to 2 cups)
Optional 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice for lemon tea.

Remaining:
Fill a pitcher with the base and enough cold water to fill a 2 quart pitcher.

Bring two cups of water to a boil. Next add the 3 to 4 bags of Black tea (I use four since I like my tea strong) and let sit for AT LEAST 20 minutes. The longer it sits the stronger the taste. Remove the bags and don't press them.
Add the sugar and stir in to dissolve. Add lemon juice now if you wanted lemon tea.
Next pour hot concentrated tea base in the 2 quart pitcher. Next fill with ice-ice cold water. Put in freezer (IF NOT GLASS) for twenty minutes or the fridge for about an two hours or so for it all to set.

Pour in a glass or a mason glass jar and serve with a lemon slice at the cup for décor or to add to your iced tea.

My version!------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
Base:
2 cups of water
4 bags of black tea (Lipton)
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar

Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil and add the tea bags. Let them steep for at least 2 hours to a whole day for the best and strongest tea taste. Remove the bags. (If you plan to steep this for a long time then before you steep add the sugar since you'll have to bring the tea to simmer to even dissolve the sugar in it.

Once set, transfer to a 2 quart pitcher. Fill pitcher with cold water till cool and sit in fridge for 2hours to overnight to set. Remove pitcher, serve in glasses or mason glass jars with a lemon wedge on the side of the glass for a person to add their own lemon or not and presto. Enjoy my lovelies.

Emerald Dream
June 2nd, 2014, 09:29 PM
Ice cold sweet tea. Yes. Southern.

Y'all.

Miserabilia
June 2nd, 2014, 11:55 PM
Then indulge me. Which tea or drink do you prefer. Surely you like something. It doesn't have to be sweet tea or iced. I am well aware how some cultures feel on the subject of cold tea.

I prefer basicly any hot tea, without sugar :)

LouBerry
June 3rd, 2014, 12:03 AM
I love all teas pretty equally. I was raised on Southern style sweet tea, as I live in the South, and I was probably drinking that before I was drinking water. But, my grandparents do suger-free iced tea at their house for health reasons, and since I live with them half of the time, I've developed a taste for it as well. Hot tea only came into my life about two years ago, but what a marvelous two years it's been. When I'm sick my green tea or honey lemon tea sooths my throat, when I'm sad, Earl Grey makes me feel better, and if I can't sleep, I have a lovely Egyptian red tea that knocks me right out. I love all the tea's in my life.

Horatio Nelson
June 3rd, 2014, 12:05 AM
I love all Tea. It is a most joyous and wonderful liquid.

Lovelife090994
June 3rd, 2014, 04:05 AM
I love all teas pretty equally. I was raised on Southern style sweet tea, as I live in the South, and I was probably drinking that before I was drinking water. But, my grandparents do suger-free iced tea at their house for health reasons, and since I live with them half of the time, I've developed a taste for it as well. Hot tea only came into my life about two years ago, but what a marvelous two years it's been. When I'm sick my green tea or honey lemon tea sooths my throat, when I'm sad, Earl Grey makes me feel better, and if I can't sleep, I have a lovely Egyptian red tea that knocks me right out. I love all the tea's in my life.

Sounds great actually. I missed you. I can't believe I never said anything...

Thatoldtruck
June 5th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Iced southern sweet tea. Thats the only way to make it here in the south

Typhlosion
June 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I like Nestea :P

LuciferSam
June 6th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I like iced tea, but only if it's sweetened or has a little flavour in it. Unsweetened iced tea is absolutely dreadful.

As far as hot tea goes, I can go any direction (except Lemon Zinger. I hate Lemon Zinger). My favourite would have to be a nice Spearmint-Chamomile mix from Celestial Seasonings with a teaspoon or two of sugar.

I'm looking to move into Asian teas, maybe a nice Jasmine Wu-long, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet.

Lisa R
June 6th, 2014, 03:38 PM
A tall cold glass of southern sweet iced tea for me please.

Cognizant
June 6th, 2014, 04:11 PM
..does Arizona count as iced tea? :P

I'll drink hot tea if I have a sore throat or something, but I prefer hot coffee to hot tea.

ashjk
June 7th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Unsweetened ice tea. :P

Melodic
June 7th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Southern Sweet Tea. I grew up on that stuff since my mom and her family were raised Southern.

Lovelife090994
June 7th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Southern Sweet Tea. I grew up on that stuff since my mom and her family were raised Southern.

My mother and her siblings were raised in the north. I am from Ohio but I have a Southern family. To me Southern food and the drink, Southern Sweet Tea are some of America's Best.

pjones
June 8th, 2014, 02:22 PM
sweet tea for sure

sorane tane
June 14th, 2014, 09:19 PM
I prefer hot tea with nothing in it. More caffine/mass ratio.

Dalcourt
June 14th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Sweet Iced Tea, all the way..I always make it myself with Luzianne and around 2 cups of sugar.

Skyline
June 15th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I love iced peach tea <333

Croconaw
June 16th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Sweet tea!

StacyD
June 17th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Sweet tea, always.

BabyGirl98
July 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Iced tea

dame
July 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I love unsweetened iced tea (black, green, passion). I don't care for sweetened tea, sometimes I like my tea lightly sweetened with peach syrup or lemon. I don't like sweet tea at all though.

Gottaloveaginger14
July 14th, 2014, 08:48 PM
There's tea other than southern sweet tea??? Lol

jessie3
July 18th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Well im from the south so sweet southern iced tea

hockeyfan
July 19th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I live in Canada. We only have one kind her....it is sweet but not as sweet as American Sweetened.

To be honest, I prefer Chai tea anyway.

chess123
July 19th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Me I drink more coffee and hot tea but I will sometimes during the summer I drink iced tea or sweet teabut I drink atleast a pot of coffee a day.

Silicate Wielder
July 22nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
I enjoy iced tea too, my mom seems to have a taste for lemon iced tea, Thanks for the recipe! :)

kristennn
August 21st, 2014, 03:26 AM
Sweet southern iced tea for sure!

Joshy
August 22nd, 2014, 01:35 PM
cold iced tea <3 there so many lol xD

Karkat
October 6th, 2014, 08:29 PM
All of them!

Hideous
October 6th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Iced Tea!

James Dean
October 7th, 2014, 05:08 AM
I love all kinds of tea. Cold and hot. Fruit tea, peppermint tea. Green tea.

Typho
October 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Nestea Lemon is my favourite

CrazyPerson101
October 7th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I like all kinds but neither of what's listed, I like black chi spice tea and green tea

Tsukinomori
October 9th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Tea in general.

"Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!" -Uncle Iroh, AtLA

EvanJay
October 16th, 2014, 08:44 AM
nothing beats sweet sputern ice tea....sometimes its store bought lol

Wyatt 13
October 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM
sweet iced tea for me

SethfromMI
October 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM