PDA

View Full Version : Cyclothymia?!

teddyxen
May 18th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I've been having a lot of ups and downs for the past year and I find myself getting upset over literally nothing at all. I havent been concentrating in school which is strange because I'm in the middle of my exams right now so I should be concentrating but I just can't. I know it isn't always to best to go on the internet and google your symptoms because it can sometimes freak you out and panic you even if there isn't anything to worry about but sometimes it is necessary. I've been thinking about this for a few months and haven't spoken to anyone. All of the symptoms related to Cyclothymia match what I've been feeling. The bad sleeping patterns, the mood swings, the feelings of sadness and guilt, change in appetite, lack of motivation, poor concentration, low self esteem and then I'm very optimistic, full of energy, sleeping for shorter periods of time and my motivation comes back but the cycle starts again and I'm back to feeling crappy again. My eldest sister has mental health issues and my mother has gone through depression before and takes antidepressants still so I wouldn't be shocked if I have a mental health issue. I'm just really worried that I'll leave it too late to get checked and get help and that I'll ruin my relationships with people close to me if I continue to live without answers.

elmoc
May 30th, 2014, 04:50 PM
The ironic thing about cyclothymia, as well as full blown Bipolar disorder, is that the symptoms mimic the normal ups & downs that most teens experience as we adjust to the hormonal realignment that is adolescence. For this reason, cyclothymia isn't frequently diagnosed in teens. The psychiatrist is much more likely to diagnose "Adjustment Disorder" in someone between the ages of 9-19 years old, then take another look at the various mood disorders after the hormones have stabilized to some extent.

As we transition from children into adults, there are many times when we exhibit psychiatric symptoms, but most of us work our way through those challenges.

Some people have a true, significant, chemical imbalance in their brain (Bipolar Disorder), and it is no more shameful than my asthma or my cousin's diabetes.

Is it possible for you to see a mental health professional? You really shouldn't try to diagnose yourself, LOL.