PDA

View Full Version : anxiety in school

paraholic
April 29th, 2014, 12:10 PM
My anxiety is getting worse again and I am talking to counsellors and the doctor for help I'm just wondering how I can stop myself from having panic attacks in school especially in presentations as it is making me have days off just to avoid talking in front of people. I've tried lots of things but whenever I'm talking in front of even a small group of people I start to panic and cabt breathe and it's really effecting my life :(

Zeke
April 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Hi, as a formal anxiety sufferer, well, still do, but not as bad as I learned to control it. I suffered from GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and also hypochondria. I've seen multiple psychologists, and a few psychiatrists, but never did I go on medication since I refused too. I had so much anxiety in school last year, I needed a doctors note because I missed so much school.

The MAIN thing you need to do in order to control your anxiety is accept it. You must accept that it is there. I'm not a psychologist (yet) but have you been diagnosed with anxiety? Is anxiety disrupting your everyday routine? Or is it just in short bursts such as when you have to get up and have to present? I don't want to diagnose you with anything but it surely sounds like some social anxiety.

In order to overcome this fear of getting nervous in front of groups, is well you just have to do it. Don't skip school if you know you have to present something that day. You must go and face it. You know the saying that in order to get past your fears, you have to face them? Well its 100% true. I suggest talking with a parent to see if you can get some CBT (Therapy). Only if its disrupting your every day life. If its just some slight stage fright, then just do some more group presenting. The more you do it, the less nervous you will be doing it.

Take care!