PDA

View Full Version : Tellin your parents about undiagnosed Asperger

Kurgg2
April 20th, 2014, 01:17 PM
So, as I have told in my introduction message, I suspect that I have Asperger. I have not told about the suspicion to my parents, but I am going to. However, I am for some reason very nervous about it and I think my parents don't know about the Asperger.

Anyone had a same situation? Tips?

Hyper
April 20th, 2014, 01:18 PM
It's not considered a diagnosis anymore.

If they don't know about it get information ready for them and be sure you yourself can explain it and explain why you think you are an aspie.

Nothing more to it :)

Kurgg2
April 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I know. I am not 100%-sure about my Asperger, but I have a lot of signs that could tell that I have asperger. I maybe can have after this a psychiatric to have a diagnosis.

If they don't know about it get information ready for them and be sure you yourself can explain it and explain why you think you are an aspie.

That's why I was thinking, but I think that, I cannot explain it good enough (autism in much lesser scale or similar).

Karkat
April 20th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Agreed. Though the funny thing is that they still differentiate between 'high-functioning'/PDD/ASD-NOS and Aspergers a lot. Like, er, you won't admit that Asperger's is a legitimate diagnosis, but you will admit that they are different from anything else that's high-functioning on the spectrum. Right.

The medical world- and especially the psychological one is kind of goofy to begin with but eh.

Personally, I did a lot of research and pointed out to them when I displayed/experienced symptoms best I could. Be careful if/when trying to get a diagnosis though- make sure you see someone who actually knows about autism.

If you go to someone who only has a cursory understanding of it, and you're not STEREOTYPICAL to a tee, you'll probably get laughed at in the face like I did.

JamesSuperBoy
April 20th, 2014, 02:43 PM
So, as I have told in my introduction message, I suspect that I have Asperger. I have not told about the suspicion to my parents, but I am going to. However, I am for some reason very nervous about it and I think my parents don't know about the Asperger.

What makes you think you have Aspergers?

backjruton
April 20th, 2014, 09:17 PM

I'm kinda tired so... even though all the words are in my head, this may not completely make sense but I'm trying the best I can :P

Everything depends on why you think you have it; what you've read on it that makes you think so. I never suspected anything until other people did, I always knew I was different but put the blame on lack of sleep - so in this case we are different. Being diagnosed with autism was the best thing to happen to me, it tells me in one figure I'm not as weird as I'd always thought I was, but it also made me realize that was just the start and there's a very big difference between "we" and "the neurotypical" because most people don't seem to see it from the outside.

My psychiatrist knew what I meant as soon as I mentioned sensory overloads, because I'd been looking them up before for over a month before the appointment; but most people don't know about them and it's awkward to tell people, a teacher in college triggered it before and I came extremely close to exploding. Being told more about this also clears up the thought of me having bipolar a little bit, because I get these a lot with surges of different kinds of emotional outburst; when listening to loud music in headphones I guess I get hyper (I seem to get better at playing games and stuff, I can only do the thing on RuneScape I do most when I have my headphones almost burning my ears), when I hear too many voices I seem to suddenly get quite angry and 10 minutes later I'm better again, and my eyes start to feel funny with light when it's coming from multiple places which means even though game making companies recommend playing with the lights on I literally can't because of that slight problem.

I'm not too sure because it doesn't seem to be the route I went through, but the teacher I had in year 6 (age 11) started to notice quite a few of the "symptoms" in me closer to when the SAT exams were happening. I was struggling in some areas and the thing she mentioned most was social skills; the most horrifying thing I remember was in one lunchtime walking past the classroom window to see my parents in there speaking to the teacher, and soon she had my mum's phone number stuck on her wall; she got slightly pissed off when I walked into the room without "addressing her properly" among other things but I think that's just because she was worried because no other teacher got pissed off with that OR the fact I've never been able to make eye contact. All I've ever really known about is how awkward I am socially, nothing else has ever phased me. My lack of concentration has been a big problem but also big fun though. I'm on the autistic spectrum, that's all I've been told, but I think it's more sort of aspergers than the others.

I'm not going to go into much because like I've said, I got into this a different way, but; if you have these concerns, I guess you should talk to your parents, tell them why you think you have it, see what they think and if they want to take it further. But saying only this in the OP doesn't explain enough, why exactly do you think you have it? It seems to be quite a complicated thing to go through, and most of it was for me, so I would only do it if you're completely sure you connect properly to what you find online because it can be quite an annoying and very boring process.

ksdnfkfr
April 20th, 2014, 09:28 PM

I'm on an asperger/autism forum called Wrong Planet (http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum3.html&sid=ddeb7f9614a1019c4134a20cb2a90d1f) and your situation comes up a lot. You said in another post your dad is stubborn, so that could make this difficult. Lots of parents don't want to hear it. Maybe you might be better off talking to a teacher or school counselor about it first.

Kurgg2
April 21st, 2014, 02:12 AM
Thank you Ezra for a good and lenghty post. It gave me some really good tips :)

Body odah Man
April 21st, 2014, 06:40 AM
You shuld tell them I think. If they love you they'll be ok with it

Babiole
April 21st, 2014, 08:18 PM
Try to get a real diagnosis. I was not diagnosed with Asperger's until I was eleven. My parents had suspected it since I was four. Sometimes these things take time.

Self-diagnosis is despised on the Internet - a lot of mean people on the Internet claim Asperger's to get away with their misbehavior.