PDA

View Full Version : moderate-sever paranoia

PinkFloyd
April 19th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Overall, I think I'm a sane person that gets along well with people and all that. ONE thing kind of looms over my head though. That one thing is paranoia.

I always hear about these mass shootings and kidnappings and terrorist attacks and all the other fucked up events that are very real in the world. it makes me feel unsafe in the general public. I feel like the guy behind me is gonna do something or when I'm at Mall of America, some lunatic is gonna open fire. You know, stuff you hear about in the media. Just recently, some crazy drunk lady broke into my cousin's house in a blind rage because she thought it was her ex boyfriend of like 30 minutes' house. The lady meant no harm to anyone living. She smashed some stuff and actually picked up my 7 year old cousin and did some weird airplane motion with her. No one was hurt. That event is what made my paranoia spike up.

Because of these feelings I've been experiencing for the past 4 or so years, I've made it a habit to carry a knife on me. Yesterday, I took a switchblade to the mall I was going to because that mall has had some cases of people being jumped for their wallets, phones, etc. I was on constant alert and didn't feel safe. The alarming part is that I think if I had access to one, I would also carry a handgun basically everywhere but school because even though it's not a place that I feel 100% safe, I value my education and don't want to get expelled.

If you know me, you know that I'm generally the funny guy wisecracker that likes to be with friends. I'm a social butterfly. This dark side of me is hidden from everyone and I don't want it to show. That being said, how can I get rid of it completely? I recognize tat I have a problem and I want it gone. I want it out of my life.. Any ideas?

Living For Love
April 19th, 2014, 07:01 PM
If you feel safer carrying a knife or a gun for protection, then you should do it, as long as it is legal according to your state's rules and legislation. Those things you described, mass shootings, kidnappings, terrorist attacks, can (unfortunately) definitely happen when we least expect it. Even here, where I live, where that kind of things are extremely rare, I feel that's it's been happening a bit more often recently. I don't think you can consider that paranoia, you're just worried about yourself and the people you like, and you have plausible reasons. Besides, no one needs to know about that "darker side" of yours, your just worried about your safety, it's normal in my opinion.

Hyper
May 5th, 2014, 05:50 PM
There's a big difference in being ''prepared for the worst'' and being aware of your environment and being unable to enjoy yourself in public or social gatherings due to constant fears.

These sort of problems are usually rooted in some other emotions. Fear doesn't just come to be overnight events in your life have led you to this and you should try to figure out just exactly what and why you've come to be in this state.

And to trumpet the age old but true; if these feelings persist and don't alleviate on your own intervention you should seek help from a psychologist.

Karkat
May 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Therapy could help you out quite a bit. I struggle with these sorts of things a lot as well, but that's mostly because my mom forcefed me the belief that if I ever walked anywhere alone, every man I came across was going to rape and kill me. So that helps.

But yeah, therapy. This is totally anxiety related, and a therapist can help you find coping skills to calm you down and get you in a logical frame of mind. It's ok to be precautious, and arm yourself, but these feelings aren't helpful if they cripple you.

Horatio Nelson
May 5th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I feel the same. Although, I don't consider it paranoia, but rather hyper-vigilance. But not the scary disorder type. I don't have weird panic attacks, but I am super suspicious of strange looking people. I tend to carry a knife often too. It doesn't effect my life or anything. I'm just a bit unwary of people.

Or it could be that we are both crazy! :D

CosmicNoodle
May 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I suffer from extreme paranoia, I'm being treated for it currently, I end up having paranoid delusions. For instance I once ran 4 miles (I'm not a fit man, not unhealthy ether) because I was convinced a phycopathic murderer was trying to catch me. That was fucking terefying.

I don't feel safe in my environment ether be it at home, with friends or in public. But I never carry a blade as its highly illegal in the UK to carry one without valid reason, unfortunately self defense is not a valid reason.

The only advice I have to give is to slowly ease yourself into situations that make you paranoid and slowly work your way up. Apart from that perhaps talk to a teacher or tutor about it. In the UK that's part of there duty of care, not sure about the US but worth a try, even if its not duty of care they will still want to try and help.

ksdnfkfr
May 8th, 2014, 06:14 PM
This is the way my dad looks at it and it's rubbed off on me. a lot more people get badly hurt or killed in car accidents then get attacked at school or a theater or the mall etc. so he says if someone's going to start worrying, they might as well worry about being on the road going to and from places, because that's where the actual danger exists.

phuckphace
May 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM
do you BLAZE IT by any chance? serious question. rarely, but sometimes even casual weed usage can contribute subtly to heightened levels of paranoia (or more accurately, irrational but deep-set fears). especially, because you being a younger guy are still in the midst of ongoing puberty, and that shit can clash with all the other shit that's already going on elsewhere to add up to being an all around bad deal.

sorry for blogposting in your thread in advance if you don't smoke weed. I just figured if I didn't bring this up nobody else would.

Human
May 21st, 2014, 06:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I face paranoia... when I see a guy in the street I walk as fast as I can behind something just in case he shoots me, when a car comes behind me I brace myself to die in case he happens to want to run me over for some reason :P I probably have a serious disorder

Horatio Nelson
May 21st, 2014, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I face paranoia... when I see a guy in the street I walk as fast as I can behind something just in case he shoots me, when a car comes behind me I brace myself to die in case he happens to want to run me over for some reason :P I probably have a serious disorder

Either that, or you are in a gang war. lol

Andriod09
May 22nd, 2014, 08:22 AM
Either that, or you are in a gang war. lol

I hate to act like a moderator, but I know that not all of them can moderate this entire amazing forum, so please stay on topic.

Anyway, I - myself - carry two knives on me, a utility knife, and a nice "switch blade". I have that one on myself at all times, school, malls, anywhere I go, just in case something happens to me, or one of my friends I am with.

I personally see nothing wrong with you. You're just a little paranoid at whats going on in this cruel ass world, and I have one thing to say?

Who cares?

No, I'm not saying don't care for the event, but if you die, you die. You're off this God-forsaken hell whole. That'd be a benefit all to itself.