View Full Version : How do you tell your mom your scared of yourself?

April 15th, 2014, 06:08 PM
So For about two years now I have been going to therapy and I, well, I don't know if it's helping, but, I guess it makes me think about my life. For the past 6 months, once or twice a day randomly my throat will close up and my heart will race and I've gotten so used to it that sometimes I don't even recognize when it happens. It's just like "oh, it's happening again" type of thing. I'm scared of what it is. I'm scared of what it could lead to. I don't keep that much contact with my dad and my step dad and i have never been that close. When I get angry its like I can't even control it anymore. My throat closes and it starts again. I can't even get any words out and I just tear up. I used to be able to just yell and get it all out, but I just close up so easily all the sudden. My mom is usually at her job all day. I never really see her that much anymore and I wouldn't really know what to say anyways, my theropist told her that I might need anti depressions and she didn't take it well. She wasn't mad, just i guess more confused. She just couldn't wrap her head around it. Shes had to take many more hours of work in because we have been having a lot of money issues and my parents couldn't afford my therapy classes anymore.

April 16th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I don't live in America so this might not apply, but do you know if it's possible to see a state funded counsellor/ therapist for free (that's what I do)? Since you can' afford the therapist how about going to a local doctor, explaining the problem and asking them to sit down with your mother and talk to her about it? Unfortunately people don't always take therapists that deal with mental health seriously, and she might react better if hearing it from a 'regular' doctor. I hope you get the help you need :)

April 16th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Sounds a lot like a panic attack- no idea how the heck antidepressants would help THAT. To my knowledge, they just make things of that sort worse. Or maybe it's just manic symptoms, irdk, I'm not a psychiatrist, but anyways.

I agree that you should go see a 'regular doctor' as well- mostly because therapists can't actually prescribe you anything. So if you do need medication (which can be really helpful in the event of extreme panic attacks), you could get it, and like Tara said, your parents might take things more seriously.

Best of luck.