PDA

View Full Version : ADHD Statistics

The37thElement
March 30th, 2014, 09:49 PM
It seems as though a ton of people have ADHD, including myself. However, people at my school act as though it is some weird disease. What are the statistics on it in the US, because it seems like everyone has it. What's your opinion on it?

abc983055235235231a
March 31st, 2014, 12:54 AM
I could probably dig up some statistics on it somewhere, but I don't particularly feel like doing that at the moment.

IMO, ADHD is probably a real condition, but it is over-diagnosed, which is why it seems so prevalent.

ksdnfkfr
March 31st, 2014, 02:32 AM
I agree, it's over diagnosed. ADHD diagnosis means meds being pre$cribed.

Body odah Man
March 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM
I agree with the others. ADHD is real, but over diagnosed

backjruton
March 31st, 2014, 01:42 PM
How do they even diagnose ADHD in the first place?

I was told about autism after 4 years of meetings with 2 different women that I think are therapists but not too sure what to call it. The last was I think 90 minutes in a room alone with the woman with no one else to answer some questions and she wanted to know how good I was with certain puzzles and stuff.. I think the thing that clearly sealed the deal was that I spent most of the time talking about my brother because of obsessions or something.. idk

JamesSuperBoy
March 31st, 2014, 02:15 PM
It seems as though a ton of people have ADHD, including myself. However, people at my school act as though it is some weird disease. What are the statistics on it in the US, because it seems like everyone has it. What's your opinion on it?

There are some stats here

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/adhd.htm

I am sure you can find more - whatever people say or act like "some weird disease" It is not a disease.

Syvelocin
March 31st, 2014, 11:37 PM
Over and mis-diagnosis is on the rise for most all mental illnesses sadly, due I'll bet to mostly the broadening of diagnostic criteria. I bet you, you could take any random person off the street and find a way to diagnose them with some sort of mental illness. I remember when I decided to talk to my old psychiatrist about my anxiety, I literally just said I had some symptoms of OCD and walked out with a prescription of Zoloft. ADD and ADHD are even moreso as mild forms of these are seen in, I'd imagine, the vast majority of children, and again, not because more people have the disorder so much as it's being misdiagnosed. I feel like we are so focused on smothering problems that the details don't matter so much as the fix does, whether we actually need the fix or not. I wrote a paper about the pharmaceutical industry last year, so don't even get me started on the pressure coming from there to overdiagnose.

Tarannosaurus
April 1st, 2014, 01:39 PM
Over and mis-diagnosis is on the rise for most all mental illnesses sadly, due I'll bet to mostly the broadening of diagnostic criteria. I bet you, you could take any random person off the street and find a way to diagnose them with some sort of mental illness. I remember when I decided to talk to my old psychiatrist about my anxiety, I literally just said I had some symptoms of OCD and walked out with a prescription of Zoloft. ADD and ADHD are even moreso as mild forms of these are seen in, I'd imagine, the vast majority of children, and again, not because more people have the disorder so much as it's being misdiagnosed. I feel like we are so focused on smothering problems that the details don't matter so much as the fix does, whether we actually need the fix or not. I wrote a paper about the pharmaceutical industry last year, so don't even get me started on the pressure coming from there to overdiagnose.

Syvelocin is completely right unfortunately. I just thought of a study here (http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1mBNCy/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_being_sane_in_insane_places/?_nospa=true) that shows it (you might already know about it), and there have been countless others. I mean, children that are two/three are being diagnosed with ADHD (how can they possibly tell at that age?) and being given adult prescriptions. I'm not sure of the stats but most stats probably won't be accurate, so what you do find take with a pinch of salt.