PDA

View Full Version : Tests, exams & anxiety

CcRoder
March 30th, 2014, 08:59 PM
My marks in most other subjects are in the 8-90% range, which is average around the school. The only thing that is going to prevent me from passing this year, and I'm sure of it, is Maths. My mark right now is 47%.

It seems like no matter how much I study or practise, whenever it comes to the test, I can't remember how to do anything that I've practise before or learnt previously. My last math test, when it came to do quadratic equations, I began to cry because I couldn't remember which button to press to bring up the equation table. I got 20% on this test.

The only way I can get anything past 50% is if I'm working with a partner.

I know there is test anxiety, but is it really this bad? My GP suggested anti-anxiety medication, and I'm not going that route because I've seen it's effects on other people. Does anyone else get such bad anxiety as that when it comes to school-related things?

The37thElement
March 30th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Talk to a guidance counselor at your school. It may be best for you to stay back another year, it's not a bad thing at all. What level math are you taking?

Luminous
March 30th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I've always been homeschooled but this year I started an online public school, and after info about standardized testing started coming and it got nearer I had several anxiety attacks. They're really weird. I'd never had any before. I didn't feel like myself, like I was someone else. Luckily they weren't that bad. We have to do more in May though. I'm doing experimental testing for ELA and Algebra so I don't get my results back. But I have to do normal testing for Science which is my worst subject. None of it sticks in my head. The formulas don't make any sense. I've warned my mom that I'm going to fail badly and told her not to freak because at the beginning of the year she was always so strict about me getting all As. Luckily my first report card was straight As as was my second, but when you're allowed to Google any questions you have on tests and retake them 2 times it's not very difficult. She claims she doesn't care about my score but I think she's going to be secretly disappointed when we get the results back beginning of next year and I've failed, and I'm nervous about that. But now and when I just started to do my ELA tests last week, I just went "Fuck it" and decided I don't care. I'll do my best and that's all I can do, sorry.

imthomas
April 10th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Talk to the guidance department