PDA

View Full Version : Schizophrenic younger brother.

Gamma Male
March 30th, 2014, 02:35 AM
My 13 year old brothers been at cooke children's medical center for the past few days and he was just officially diagnosed with schizophrenia. He was fine up until a couple of months ago. I remember hearing him talk about a little kid named freddy who lived in the house, and at first I thought he was just making him up, since sometimes my little sister(10 years old) would talk about him too. But then I began hearing him talking to freddy when he was alone saying things like "leave me alone" and "get off me", and seeing him put his hands up in the air and pushing away when there was nothing there, and I've realized that these are actual hallucinations and that my sister was just playing alongand pretending to see him. We have a fishtank in the livingroom that we had to get rid of because he would constantly stare at the fish inside, and I heard him talk about how thr fish were evil or that they were being too loud, even though they weren't making any noise. He also began to lose interest in all his hobboys like playing videogames and riding his bike, and now he just wants to lie in bed all day and not do anything. And whenever we take him out in public he ends up breaking down and hitting something(not people, just cars and stuff) and looking really agitated. And one time, I heard heard him mumbling to himself and asked him what was wrong and he said that he wished he didn't have ears because "they" were being too loud and that they were spying on him with his eyes. But most of the time when I ask him something he doesn't even answer. He's under observation at the hospital right now with my dad. The only time I've seen him smile in the last month is during some random bout of laughter, and that doesn't even look real. I don't know what's going to happen to him, or if my parents are even able to take care of him. My dad's a truckerdriver so he's gone half the time, and taking him out in public is risky since he might break down and start yelling and break something, which means I need to stay home with him when my mom goes grocery shopping and stuff, but I'm not
really reeven sure what to do or say if he tries to run outside because he's agitated or break something. Has anyone else had a schizophrenic relative before. Any advice?break something.

JamesSuperBoy
March 30th, 2014, 03:36 AM
I guess maybe now he is diagnosed he might get meds to help him along.
Hope it all gets better -

ksdnfkfr
March 30th, 2014, 04:36 AM
If he was ok up until a couple of months ago, then hopefully whatever meds they put him on will make a difference. It's going to be difficult for you since it's not what you are used to dealing with instead if he had always been like that. I'm afraid I don't really know anything about it to offer any advice. I just know from personal experience when it comes to stuff like my sensory overload meltdowns, just feeling loved and accepted like by my cousin who's kinda like my brother has really meant a lot to me.

lawliett
March 30th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Hey there, I was in hospital for a few months because I had similar symptoms like you mention, and while I was there they diagnosed me with schizophrenia, it kind of helps when you are properly diagnosed because then you can understand yourself and people do too a little better and maybe know how to help, also they start trying to find the meds that are going to work for you, and ive felt a difference since they put me on them.
I sometimes think its harder for the family to cope with as they don't know how to help, but hopefully now you know whats causing his problems you can make sense of things and it wont be as hard, I hope so anyway, good luck.