PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety

SwegMachine
March 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I've self diagnosed my social anxiety. I know this usually isn't a great way to know what your problem is, but I found more out about social anxiety and everything clicked. Eye contact. Shopping. Phone calls. The whole runaround, it all clicked. And, if you met me in real life, it wouldn't be hard to tell that I'm pretty much the poster child of social anxiety.

----------------------------

Now my Panic Attacks are different, thankfully. Now, they are just like a pit in my stomach, and my hands and feet get cold because my body is rerouting the blood to my essential organs. The stress tricks my body into thinking that it is in a life or death situation. They're triggered by seeing the popular people at school. I was depressed last year, and I caught a lot of shit for that from some of them. This is probably where my SA came from. Going into this school year,I felt like I had something to prove to them. I felt like the whole grade was looking at me, and I needed to be happy in their eyes. Right now, I'm still very slightly depressed. So slightly that I consider myself not depressed, because that's pretty much how it is. Being socially awkward in front of them is getting in the way of me proving that I'm better than last year. Pretty much, I'm trying to get them to not care about me, which is not realistic. The point is, I don't know whether I can be cool enough to make it into the popular group, or if my social anxiety will damn me to the outcast group.

Tarannosaurus
March 9th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Self diagnose is not the way to go, I convinced myself that I had schizophrenia and at the time everything clicked for me. I had literally all of the symptoms I read about. But I don't have schizophrenia. It does sound like there could be something there,and I do think that there is enough things happening for you to go to a professional about them - but try not to take your self diagnose too seriously.

xandyx
March 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I don't know your situation but..

Social anxiety is more than just being shy I think. I'm not SA but I've heard stuff. Isn't it like it's hard to even leave the house that easily? I don't know, maybe theres degrees.

Maybe your just shy or something. Maybe socially scared and stuff? But yeah you shouldn't self diagnose I bet. Anything could sound like us on a certain day.

ksdnfkfr
March 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM
What you described pertains to a lot of things including someone being on the autism spectrum.
If it's not having a bad impact on your life it probably doesn't really matter. If is, then addressing what it definitely actually is, is important. But if you were just wondering "what the hell is my problem?" and learning about SA satisfied that and it is no longer an issue, then probably that's fine.

SwegMachine
March 9th, 2014, 11:44 AM

I don't know your situation but..

Social anxiety is more than just being shy I think. I'm not SA but I've heard stuff. Isn't it like it's hard to even leave the house that easily? I don't know, maybe theres degrees.

Maybe your just shy or something. Maybe socially scared and stuff? But yeah you shouldn't self diagnose I bet. Anything could sound like us on a certain day.

I'm not shy; its worse than that. I didn't leave home for anything other than school for a few months because I'm really uncomfortable around people. I've never had any other mental health issues. I'm already seeing a psychiatrist because of ADD and sleep issues, and those are the only things he's ever needed to help me with. I haven't had any problems that corespond to Autism Spectrum traits. One rule of Deduction is to eliminate all possibilities according to the information you have, and the one remaining possibility (logically) is the answer. Based on this system, SA is the "answer".

allison_ann
April 1st, 2014, 03:09 AM
You shouldn't have to prove to anyone anything. You don't need to be better then how you were or are. I have horrible social anxiety, I haven't gone to school in over 9 weeks. But I just finished a treatment program and If you truly think you have social anxiety, then I am willing to give you any information or advice.