PDA

View Full Version : Chewing and spitting

max02
November 25th, 2017, 01:25 AM
Does chewing and spitting count as an eating disorder?

Just JT
November 25th, 2017, 10:38 AM
I donít think itís an eating disorder cause youíre not eating

xXl0sth0peXx
November 25th, 2017, 12:36 PM
I donít think itís an eating disorder cause youíre not eating

So you're saying that Anorexia isn't an eating disorder because you're not eating there either? An eating disorder is way more than just eating or not eating.

To you OP, chewing and spitting isn't an official eating disorder, but it is more so a behavior common in individuals with an eating disorder. It's equally as unhealthy as other destructive habits, and please, if you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out. x

Just JT
November 25th, 2017, 12:47 PM
So you're saying that Anorexia isn't an eating disorder because you're not eating there either? An eating disorder is way more than just eating or not eating.

To you OP, chewing and spitting isn't an official eating disorder, but it is more so a behavior common in individuals with an eating disorder. It's equally as unhealthy as other destructive habits, and please, if you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out. x

Oh... I didnít think of it that way, no Iím not saying that at all
My mistake, and apologies

Elysium
November 25th, 2017, 10:37 PM
"Eating disorders" get a little dicey when you try to define them. You get into the category of EDNOS, Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified, which is a catchall term for all abnormal/"disordered" eating habits. It becomes less technically diagnostic, in other words. I have an EDNOS (although it's recognized in some circles, I don't know if it's in the most recent DSM, but I digress) and I can tell you that, like xXl0sth0peXx said, it has more to do with the behavior, not whether or not you're eating too much or too little. Take mine, for example, which has no outward presentation or obvious impact on my health, but if you knew me at all, behaviorally you'd recognize something abnormal pretty quickly.

So, tl; dr, yes and no. It depends on more than just chewing things and spitting them out. That might be an indication of something, but it isn't necessarily disordered in and of itself.

BlackParadePixie
November 26th, 2017, 02:02 AM
well it's basically the same as anorexia. you're not eating your food. chewing is not eating. chewing is just the mechanism our specific human bodies have to go through in order to be able to swallow most food in a safe manner. Actually consuming the food and then having its contents enter our bodies, stomachs, liver, blood stream, etc and then process those available nutrients into energy is what keeps you going.

andrea03
December 24th, 2017, 09:27 PM
probably not

Juliarules832
December 24th, 2017, 10:33 PM
i guess it is.

josephadams
April 11th, 2018, 04:44 AM
I don't think that it is eating disorder.

Dalcourt
April 11th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Please don't bump older threads :locked: