PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety controls my life

bribrand
March 4th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Not sure how to start this, but anxiety owns me. As long as I can remember, back to elementary school, anxiety prevented me from doing anything social. I am the person who can go a whole year without saying a word. It has prevented me from making friends, meeting new people, I can't even talk to my family without having a panic attack. I get so worried that I'm going to do something wrong and everybody is going to laugh at me. The other day in speech class, I had a decent speech prepared and I didn't do it because I was so afraid of everybody. I wish I could just live in the mountains where nobody would bother me. I wish I had the guts to talk to somebody in person and get some help. Any advice on at least being able to talk to my parents about getting help? Every time I try I break down and they think I'm joking.

Tarannosaurus
March 5th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I had this problem with my parents too, their way of dealing with it is to pretend it's not happening. You might have to sort it out yourself, by phoning a helpline to find out what help is available in your area, and maybe contacting them yourself. Your parents would be more likely to believe you if you have a professional on your side. I found a list of helplines (http://www.findcounseling.com/help/hotlines/colorado.html) in Colorado in case they might help. Good luck! I hope things work out for you :)

Miserabilia
March 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I know how you feel...
It's been getting gradually worse on me.

Karkat
March 7th, 2014, 01:12 AM
I had this problem with my parents too, their way of dealing with it is to pretend it's not happening. You might have to sort it out yourself, by phoning a helpline to find out what help is available in your area, and maybe contacting them yourself. Your parents would be more likely to believe you if you have a professional on your side. I found a list of helplines (http://www.findcounseling.com/help/hotlines/colorado.html) in Colorado in case they might help. Good luck! I hope things work out for you :)

Absolutely agree with this. I've had this problem as well, and it's seriously set me back. Good luck.