PDA

View Full Version : Got a new computer, and it's old but gold

Jamiec1130
September 27th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I was away this past weekend on a church trip to Carowinds (amusement park) for a concert (HOLY SHIT FOR KING AND COUNTRY IS AMAZING!) and my mom went to a local yardsale. What did she get me? A laptop. It's a Dell Latitude D610 from 2005-ish, and for how old and used it is, it's absolutely amazing. This thing makes a perfect RDP client. I'll be taking it to school tomorrow! What's your oldest computer that still has a productive purpose?

bonbon
September 29th, 2017, 05:08 PM
There's an old AMD K6 machine that is used to drive a miniature train. I don't know exactly when it was built, but it should be about 15-20 years old. 128MB memory. My father thinks that "if something isn't broken, why change it?".

Jake445
October 2nd, 2017, 02:07 PM
I have a old think pad my dad used for work until about 2007.
I don't use it a lot as I have a modern laptop.
It's still neat though.

Skylake78
October 4th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Oldest computer I have is about 5-6 years old or so with an AMD Anthlon 64 X2 processor and 4gb of RAM, but I have no idea who the manufacturer of the computer itself is since there's no branding anywhere from what I could find.

It's now running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (license key given to me by one of my college instructors ^_^) with an additional WD 1TB HDD installed for network file sharing. While I've already set up and tested the server as a domain controller by adding a VM and a couple of users to the active directory, I haven't actually connected any physical devices to the domain yet.

For an old computer, it does what it has to do really well, although of course if a computer is properly maintained then they can last pretty long anyways. This computer was actually the very first computer my parents got me when I was around 10 or so and it originally had Windows XP on it... oh and I can't be forgetting that at the time we still had dial-up.

Jamiec1130
October 5th, 2017, 03:02 PM
My oldest computer is an IBM PS/1 Model 2011 from 1990. It still worked up until a few months ago, when I installed a new clock battery the wrong way. Oops. I'll try to fix it though.

lliam
October 5th, 2017, 08:21 PM
a convertible Tablet HP Elitebook 2760p from 2014.
didn't cost me a dime and it's still working.