PDA

View Full Version : Is it acceptable to say 'that's gay'

benster
September 26th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Almost half of young people (49%) think the term "that's gay" is acceptable to use.
Newsbeat asked YouGov to survey 3,000 18 to 29-year-olds about where they draw the line with offence when it comes to sexuality, race and sexism.

I dont think it is but ive heard it loads of times

Jinglebottom
September 26th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I'm gay and I don't care, it is the least of my worries lol. Say what you want.

Living For Love
September 26th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Yes (free speech, etc.)

DerBear
September 26th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I think it depends on the context, the people you're with and the topic at hand. I can see some finding it offensive as it does imply negative connotation of being gay but then again so many people use the term as a throwaway comment and a lot of people get the meaning of it.

Hermes
September 26th, 2017, 08:24 AM
As I support free speech I am not a supporter of declaring things as unacceptable to say. I also don't believe in a general right not to be offended.

On the other hand I don't see any point in causing offence for no purpose. If you mean "That's stupid", or "That's foolish" or "That's crazy" then why not say that. Using "gay" as a euphemism for something completely different is just being crass.

PlasmaHam
September 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM
It's only offensive if you make it such.

NoahNoah
September 26th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I mean I don't have a problem with it in essence. it's just a word, after all.

The problem I have with it is that you're equating the word "stupid" with the word "gay", as if they were interchangeable. The don't mean anything even remotely similar to each other, therefore to me it is a clear parallel to calling gay people stupid. People may not mean it that way, but in history, that is how the slang originally came up.

Dalcourt
September 26th, 2017, 09:17 AM
As I support free speech I am not a supporter of declaring things as unacceptable to say. I also don't believe in a general right not to be offended.

On the other hand I don't see any point in causing offence for no purpose. If you mean "That's stupid", or "That's foolish" or "That's crazy" then why not say that. Using "gay" as a euphemism for something completely different is just being crass.

Totally agree with that.

I don't feel personally offended by people saying it but just don't get the point why this word has to be used as an euphemism in such a context.

Sublime Demonz
September 26th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Personally, it does not offend me unless it is being used in a truly derogatory way. My friends and I use that phrase with each other all that time but never for anything serious. We use it to say the equivalent of "that's stupid" or "that's dumb", but we don't look at some and they way they dress, for example, and say "Oh that's so gay". I feel that would be offensive and I would be offended if someone said that to me.

ska8er
September 26th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Most of the kids that say that
don't even know they r saying it
cause it is used too frequently.

SeansLittleBro
September 26th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Most of the kids that say that
don't even know they r saying it
cause it is used too frequently.

Being gay it really doesn't bother me. As Ska8er says many don't even realize that they are saying it and do not necessarily mean it to any certain individual. It is usually an act that has taken place when it is said not to someone in particular.

noah.whynot
September 26th, 2017, 08:59 PM
I'm torn on this one. Generally I don't take personal offense by it as there seem to be far worse things people can say. But I think the problem is that at its root it really is derogatory since it's usually used to refer to something negative. Unfortunately it's become so commonly used that we're almost oblivious to it. Would people feel okay if the phrase was "that's so n*gg*r"? I seriously doubt that would be tolerated. And sorry, those who want to claim "free speech"? That's an excuse for saying things that are rude. Free speech has to come with some responsibility. Just my opinion.

SethfromMI
September 26th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I'm bi so what I think may not be as important but generally I don't care when I hear someone say that. generally when someone says it there not actually being derogatory to gay/same sex attraction. Someone can obviously use it to be demeaning towards people who are gay and that is obviously wrong. in general though, I do not usually give it a second thought when I hear people say it. Is it something people should say? probably not, but whatever

Babs
September 26th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Being bi, I say it sometimes, although I avoid it around certain people for the sake of courtesy because I can't tell people they're not allowed to be offended. When people say gay that way, it's usually not because they think homosexuality is gross, it's because language often evolves so that the same word can have different meanings depending on the context. So I don't think it's a big deal.

Ineedyou
September 29th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Almost half of young people (49%) think the term "that's gay" is acceptable to use.
Newsbeat asked YouGov to survey 3,000 18 to 29-year-olds about where they draw the line with offence when it comes to sexuality, race and sexism.

I dont think it is but ive heard it loads of times

When I was a bit younger and my friends said "gay" or "fag" I got really upset, but I never said anything. Now, I could care less what people say. I've grown a thick skin to offensive words.

Snowrider
October 21st, 2017, 09:25 PM
I'm usually not offended unless it is used in a derogatory way. But if someone keeps repeating it in a conversation, that I don't like. It also depends on the context it's being used.

NewLeafsFan
October 24th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Saying that clearly implies that being gay is a negative characteristic and it promotes stereotypes. For that reason it is completely unacceptable. It takes time for these old sayings to lose popularity. Most of the times when it is said it is not meant as an offensive thing.

Curiousteen7
October 25th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Free Speech is important but there is no reason to use derogatory terms to promote stereotypes and give general unnecessary hate and so I guess it is down to the context it is used in as to where the line should be drawn with offensive terms towards gay people

Abhorrence
October 26th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Honestly, I have no quarrel with people calling things "gay". I do it myself. I also don't particularly care about words like "faggot" but that's just because I'm a big believer in that words mean nothing unless they're meant to be used with contemptment. If someone came up to me and said "you're a disgusting fucking faggot", then I'd be a bit more inclined to be offended rather than if someone just jokingly called me gay or faggot.

Falcons_11
October 26th, 2017, 02:49 PM
IMHO...it's rude to use the term "it's gay". There are other sayings you can use in place of that which is so offensive.

Endeavour
October 26th, 2017, 02:57 PM
It seems as though I'm in the minority here. I don't think that saying "that's gay" is acceptable at all. Even if the person saying it doesn't mean it that way, the person it is said to or even a person just listening in might take offense to it.

jamie_n5
October 27th, 2017, 04:54 PM
It seems as though I'm in the minority here. I don't think that saying "that's gay" is acceptable at all. Even if the person saying it doesn't mean it that way, the person it is said to or even a person just listening in might take offense to it.

This exactly. It is derogatory and degrading. It is like using the N word or saying something racial. You are stereotyping a whole sexuality. This is my opinion.

RavenTheGoddess
November 4th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Honestly, no, I don't think it's okay. I find it quite rude to people who are attracted to other guys to be honest. (I've also heard "gay" applied to women who are attracted to other women, just thought I'd mention.) Just my opinion.

hesaidhesaid
November 5th, 2017, 04:59 AM
I'll be honest...I don't really care for it, but I'm not offended by it. Having said that, I pride myself on having a 'hard shell' between how I project myself and how I really feel.

wolfbuddy
November 7th, 2017, 01:42 PM
I'm gay and I don't care if someone says 'that's gay'. Instead I feel pretty annoyed if someone uses the word 'faggot'.

hayley2003
November 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM
kinda funny question because i've seen a couple of super old movies that say the word 'gay' a bunch of times, but in those movies the word means to be happy. I think in one of the movie someone said something like 'you look so gay today!' which was funny.

Elysium
November 8th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I don't particularly like it when straight people (or people who don't identify as not-straight) say "that's gay." It's less about giving the word a pejorative connotation as much as it belies a lack of sensitivity or consideration that makes me uncomfortable, both as a friend of not-straight people and as a queer person myself.

nebula
November 8th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Like some others have said, it really depends on the context. There have been a couple times recently where I've been offended when people have said "oh she looks so gay" or "that's such a gay thing to do" in a purposely insulting manner, and people haven't really understood why and just call me sensitive. I don't understand why people would do that.

Another example that happened today which kind of made me write this post just now... some boys in school were talking about my girlfriend, after seeing a photo on Facebook. I hear one of them say "oh, she's turned into such a lesbian now" and similar comments until someone says that me and her have been together for a while. They instantly came up to me and said sorry, but I can't understand why they would say sorry if they clearly meant what they said ?? people are so confusing