PDA

View Full Version : Shaving against the grain

Jinglebottom
September 21st, 2017, 11:28 AM
So, what are your thoughts on it? Have you ever had any issues? I always shave with the grain (that's how my dad taught me) but I was just wondering if any of you do the opposite. I've heard there's a higher chance of getting razor burn, bumps and whatever so I'm not sure if I should try it.

devotionnel
September 21st, 2017, 11:32 AM
Whenever I do my legs, it's always against the grain. It's just kinda how I've always done it since it's a closer shave and with the grain is a lot more effort. I'm aware of ingrown hairs and damaged follicles etc but I mean as long as you just exfoliate they won't be a problem as much.

Just JT
September 21st, 2017, 12:42 PM
I think legs are tougher skin than your face or other sensitive areas. From what I've read learned etc is shave with the grain till the area you're shaving is used to being shaved and kinda toughen up the shin. Then you can (if you wana) shave against. It's a smoother closer longer lasting. But you also increase ingrown hairs to

Living For Love
September 21st, 2017, 02:29 PM
I think shaving against the grain repeatedly will cut the hair closer to its root, because you’re forcing it upwards slightly. However, shaving against the grain can cause irritation and razor bumps and burn. I never shave with a manual razor, but I'd recommend always taking a bath after shaving and maybe apply some skin lotion afterwards.

jamie_n5
September 21st, 2017, 06:37 PM
I think shaving against the grain repeatedly will cut the hair closer to its root, because you’re forcing it upwards slightly. However, shaving against the grain can cause irritation and razor bumps and burn. I never shave with a manual razor, but I'd recommend always taking a bath after shaving and maybe apply some skin lotion afterwards.

This is the right thing to do. I also suggest to make sure to use a new fresh razor and maybe a gel shave cream with a protective ingredient to make the surface slick to prevent chaffing.

PlasmaHam
September 21st, 2017, 08:52 PM
I shave against the grain, as stated because it provides a close shave. That's the way I've always done it. I think where people get into problems with this is when they use a dull razor. I think as long as you have a nice razor, okay shaving cream, and apply some after-shave or other cleanser/moisturizer, then you should be fine.

ImCoolBeans
September 22nd, 2017, 09:53 AM
I haven't actually shaved my face in like... two years or so... but whenever I do my neck, which I do regularly, I always go with the grain. I used to go against the grain because I thought it was a closer shave, but it doesn't make a huge difference and I'd rather not get razor burn/ingrown hairs.

Mars
September 22nd, 2017, 10:36 AM
Im p sure if u shave with a sharp razor and shaving cream, and cold water afterwards you shouldn't have problems with razor burn or bumps. Or at least I haven't every time I shave. Like JT said, shave with the grain until you get used to it and then shave against when you know how to not cut yourself

Jinglebottom
September 22nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
So I shaved against the grain a couple of hours after I made this thread, and I must say it feels quite good! Haven't had any problems yet, but I think I will just do it infrequently, you never know. I'll enjoy the closer shave while it lasts I guess!

Living For Love
September 22nd, 2017, 04:01 PM
So I shaved against the grain a couple of hours after I made this thread, and I must say it feels quite good! Haven't had any problems yet, but I think I will just do it infrequently, you never know. I'll enjoy the closer shave while it lasts I guess!
Five o'clock shadow is the best feeling xD

messid
September 22nd, 2017, 08:04 PM
i tried against the grain once but it kinda hurt!! i might try again tho if i can shave closer

anyone here tried using lotion afterwards to see if it helps the burn feel better??

Just JT
September 22nd, 2017, 08:15 PM

Good news bro. Just read all the good advice given. Everyone got good advice. And everyone skin and complections also different. So if you have a reactions, you have some ideas

Mars
September 22nd, 2017, 08:37 PM
i tried against the grain once but it kinda hurt!! i might try again tho if i can shave closer

anyone here tried using lotion afterwards to see if it helps the burn feel better??

Cold water after a shave does wonders. You can moisturize afterwards, but I'd recommend cold water and aftershave

Hollywood
September 23rd, 2017, 09:39 AM
I usually shave with the grain first, to get the majority of the hair, then against it to catch anything I missed and get the closest shave possible. I have fairly sensitive skin but I've never had any issues with this technique.