PDA

View Full Version : 134 Dead Following Magnitude 7.1 Earthquake In Mexico

mattsmith48
September 19th, 2017, 09:08 PM
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake rocked central Mexico on Tuesday, killing at least 139 people as buildings collapsed in plumes of dust and thousands fled into the streets in panic.

The earthquake came less than two weeks after another quake left at least 90 dead in the country's south, and it occurred as Mexicans commemorated the anniversary of a 1985 quake that killed thousands.

Mexican media broadcast images of multiple downed buildings in densely populated parts of Mexico City and nearby Cuernavaca. A column of smoke rose from a structure in one central neighbourhood in the capital.

Rescue workers rushed to the site of damaged or collapsed buildings in the capital, and reporters saw onlookers cheer as a woman was pulled from the rubble.

Rescuers immediately called for silence so that they could listen for others who might be trapped.

Gala Dluzhynska said she was taking a class with 11 other women on the second floor of a building on the trendy Alvaro Obregon avenue when the quake struck and window and ceiling panels fell as the building began to tear apart.

She said she fell on the stairs and people began to walk over her, before someone finally pulled her up.

"There were no stairs anymore. There were rocks," she said.

They reached the bottom only to find it barred. A security official finally came and let them out.

People were trapped inside various buildings that caught fire in Mexico City, a civil protection official told local TV.

The quake caused buildings to sway sickeningly in Mexico City and sent panicked office workers streaming into the streets, but the full extent of the damage is not yet clear. Mexican media broadcast images of several collapsed buildings in heavily populated parts of the city.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centred near the Puebla state town of Raboso, about 123 kilometres southeast of Mexico City.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mexico-earthquake-1.4297047

Mars
September 19th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Rest easy to those who passed in this horrific event :( I hope the best for those recovering and those who lost someone, or something in the earthquake.

Sunstar
September 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM
R.I.P

Bluegrass
September 19th, 2017, 09:41 PM
So much happening at once in this world R.I.P