PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else ever feel that their friends don't like them?

AussieNicholas
September 17th, 2017, 02:47 AM
I felt like making this since my school had its senior formal the other day and I'm one of the few people who didn't go. The main reason I didn't go is that I feel like a lot of my friends don't actually value me as a friend that much, and that I'd just be intruding on their space by showing up. I never really talk to any of my friends outside of school and they only talk to me because we're near each other in class. At lunchtime they all hang out with their own friends and I don't really have a social group that I belong to. I get the feeling a lot that they just don't see me as that important of a friend and I'm worried that after we leave school (we've got a year and a quarter of high school left) all of my current friends are just going to forget about me and this is just gonna repeat at university.

Does anyone else get this feeling? Is this just what happens in the last couple years of high school or am I just overthinking things? I want to be able to enjoy the time in high school that I have left but I feel like my friends don't really care about me at all.

emmifer
September 17th, 2017, 07:16 AM
hi. i've also experienced the same thing that you are currently experiencing.i think that to an extent everyone sort of feels this way, with exceptions of course. But i think that if you are feeling this way maybe try to talk to your friends about it or if that makes you uncomfortable you could just try and tag along with one of them at lunch... As you have another 2 years of high school i feel like it may also be a good idea to try and branch out a little bit, maybe try and make a couple of new friends that have similar interests or just talk to someone else in your class because i can guarentee there's someone else feeling the same way as you. I also get that it's not easy to do any of the things that i'm suggesting so if you ever need to talk about it more just drop me a message. hope that's helpful x

Just JT
September 17th, 2017, 07:28 AM
AussieNicholas I'm sorry you feel that way. But I wana be honest here ok?

In your post it seems like you don't really reach out and try to interact with others in school. Sounds like they interact with you if you're around them right?

So if you don't make the attempt, neither will they. I'm in high school and what I see is if there's someone who's not liked, they know it. I don't hear there treating you bad.

Friendship is a 2 way street bro. You needa try some to. If you don't try, neither will they

Next time you go into the lunch room find someone you know or view as a friend, walk up to him and the group of people he's sitting with and sit next to him and say "insert name here, hey, what's up bro" and take it from there

He'll,probably acknowledge you, and continue the conversation they were having. He might introduce you. Or he might completly ignore you. Based on those responces, you'll know how HE might feel about you

So give it a try bro and see how it goes

But also we all have times we feel lonely in our lives. And that sucks. But ita a matter of what we do with that feeling that gets us past those feelings

AussieNicholas
September 17th, 2017, 07:40 AM

In your post it seems like you don't really reach out and try to interact with others in school. Sounds like they interact with you if you're around them right?

So if you don't make the attempt, neither will they. I'm in high school and what I see is if there's someone who's not liked, they know it. I don't hear there treating you bad.

Friendship is a 2 way street bro. You needa try some to. If you don't try, neither will they

Next time you go into the lunch room find someone you know or view as a friend, walk up to him and the group of people he's sitting with and sit next to him and say "insert name here, hey, what's up bro" and take it from there

He'll,probably acknowledge you, and continue the conversation they were having. He might introduce you. Or he might completly ignore you. Based on those responces, you'll know how HE might feel about you

But also we all have times we feel lonely in our lives. And that sucks. But ita a matter of what we do with that feeling that gets us past those feelings

I have tried talking to others like you suggest, many times actually. The way people respond to me seems like someone who really just wants you to go away but is too polite to say so.

Just JT
September 17th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I have tried talking to others like you suggest, many times actually. The way people respond to me seems like someone who really just wants you to go away but is too polite to say so.

Maybe this that's how they feel. And that would suck. But keep trying. Try engaging with a different person in the group. You might hit on someone who's more open to you, or you might change someone's opinion of you.

Just don't give up, keep trying

noah.whynot
September 17th, 2017, 06:57 PM

I think this is right on the money! I've changed schools a lot and for a while I stopped trying to reach out and make friends because I was always like "well, I'm going to be moving on again anyways". Other kids would be friendly at school and it's not like I was rude or anything, but I never made any real effort either and after a while other people didn't either. I'm in a better situation now and so I feel a lot more positive and it's starting to show in terms of making friends. It can be hard to put yourself out there and take a chance, but other people are probably just as nervous and will probably be relieved your making the first move. Just try it.

jamie_n5
September 19th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I think you are overreacting to this a bit. You say you do try and interact with your friends yet you feel you would intrude upon them at a social event. You need to join in with your friends at events too. You could even suggest going to some event together. Just try a little harder at being more outgoing and talkative when your together. There is no reason that you couldn't join them at lunch either except that you have it in your mind somehow that your not wanted. Go sit with them and get acquainted with their friends and they may become your friends too. Don't be shy just try being one of the group.