View Full Version : Helping a depressed parent.

September 16th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Hi, my dad isn't doing so well lately for multiple reasons, ranging from the death of his sister, to his unsatisfying work life, to his unhappy marriage with my mother. He clearly is showing signs of minor-moderate depression, saying that he feels like his entire life was a failure and that he was a bad parent to me (untrue.) He's been like this for months. I have told him I feel he should seek help and he agrees, but refuses to on the basis that he doesn't know where to start or my mother wouldn't let him. I'm sorry to have to ask you guys this serious question, but I was wondering if there was anyone who had the same experience and knows what I should do. A lot of people on the internet say that you should tell a teacher, but I don't really want to do that. Any solution involving my mother is out of question as she is unsympathetic to his plight. I know that it's not my fault and it isn't my job to help him through these things, but I want to. I would appreciate advice on what to say to him.

September 16th, 2017, 07:59 PM
If u r in school seek out someone in authority
and explain to them what u just posted on ur
parents and I'm sure they can lead u to some
kind of organization that might b able to help.
If u cant do this then look up some support
groups in ur area where again u can talk
things over with someone. Just continue to
support ur Dad even telling him that if he
seeks help that u will go with him.

Just JT
September 16th, 2017, 08:09 PM
I agree. But also if he's refusing to get help, there's nothing stoping you from getting some for yourself. See a counselor or therapist, tell them what's going on. It'll be private between you and the therapist. And they'll help you help your dad

Also, if your dad sees you going, it might give him cause for concern to know why, or be worried, and you could invite him to therapy, and then get him involved that way.

Kinda like a trick by kinda guilting him into it, but may work

September 19th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I think that you should suggest to your dad to go see his doctor. That is a good step. He may get on some meds that will help and the doctor may send him to a therapist. I suggest to you that you could talk to your school counselor and they may be of help to you. Also if your family is a family of faith you and your dad could both go see your pastor for help. I really don't know what to say about your mom other than she seems unhappy and depressed too and should seek help. Ideally family counseling would be great for all three of you but that doesn't seem possible the way you posted.