PDA

View Full Version : Mexico hit by 'strongest earthquake in a century' at magnitude 8.2

nebula
September 8th, 2017, 12:09 PM
A rare and powerful 8.2-magnitude earthquake struck southern Mexico late Thursday, killing at least 32 people as seismologists warned of a tsunami of more than 10 feet.

The quake hit offshore in the Pacific about 75 miles southwest of the town of Tres Picos in far southern Chiapas state, the US Geological Survey said, putting the magnitude at 8.1.

Mexico's president said the earthquake magnitude was 8.2, the strongest in a century in the country.

The country's seismologic service initially gave a magnitude of 8.4, which if confirmed would be the most powerful ever recorded in this quake-prone country.

The quake shook a large swath of the country and was felt as far north as Mexico City - 600 miles from the quake epicenter - where people ran out of their homes in their pajamas as buildings trembled and swayed.

A tsunami warning and the prospect of aftershocks kept the nation on alert.

[...]

It is the strongest to hit quake-prone Mexico at least since 1985, when an 8.1-magnitude earthquake in Mexico City killed more than 10,000 people.

source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/08/mexico-earthquake-magnitude-8-tremor-rattles-buildings-capital/)

mattsmith48
September 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM
source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/08/mexico-earthquake-magnitude-8-tremor-rattles-buildings-capital/)

Hurricane Katia is also suppose to hit them today.

Jinglebottom
September 8th, 2017, 12:43 PM
The Western Hemisphere can't catch a break lately.

nebula
September 8th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Hurricane Katia is also suppose to hit them today.

I know, and I think hurricane Jose is brewing up for the islands too not too long after Irma leaves. As Jinglebottom said, the North Americas aren't exactly getting the best of luck right now.

mattsmith48
September 8th, 2017, 01:12 PM
I know, and I think hurricane Jose is brewing up for the islands too not too long after Irma leaves.

When I last check I don't think Jose was suppose to hit anything, I don't know if they changed it.

Jinglebottom said, the North Americas aren't exactly getting the best of luck right now.

Yup, half the continent is on fire. Back to back to back major hurricanes including the strongest ever recorded and first time since 2010 there is three hurricanes at the same time. Good time to be in the North Eastern part of the continent.

ShineintheDark
September 8th, 2017, 01:45 PM
There's nothing we can do for this but hold strong and ensure we are better prepared for such successive disasters in the future. Mexico has been steadfast in offering aid to the US for its disasters and hopefully Trump will return the favour in whatever capacity the US can manage also.