PDA

View Full Version : College Football/NFL Discussion 2017

SethfromMI
September 6th, 2017, 08:00 PM
mattsmith48 is starting a NFL pool for VT here http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2039931. We did it a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun so I recommend people joining.

This thread is for talking about college football and the NFL, whether your doing the pool or not. Instead of making separate ones, I figured we could combine them. So any thoughts, predictions, outcries against bad calls, injuries, whatever you want to talk about regarding college and the NFL, here is the place to do it. Edit: for those who want to talk about the CFL (Canadian Football League) if there are those here that follow it, you may also def feel free to add your talk here as well. I can;t change the title, but you can still feel free to contribute.

It was an exciting week for college football. There were a lot of big games, some huge comebacks (I guess the real major upset had to be Maryland taking down Texas). My Wolverines, despite losing 10 of their 11 defensive starters did not let Florida score an offensive touchdown. In fact, if it wasn't for giving up two pick sixes we would have won by 30+. Still won by 16 against a talented Florida team so I am not complaining.

Elliot is still being able to play the game on Sunday when it is the Giants at Dallas. There is a possibility he will go the Tom Brady route and try to take it to an outside court but it is likely to have the same result and even if he manages to hold the suspension off till next season, it will still most likely happen. He might get some type of last minute deal but he may be better off serving it this season then not having to worry about next year when they may even have a better chance.

Patriots are the favorite to win of course. I hate saying that but it is true. I think it will come down between the Patriots and Steelers in the AFC and the Packers and Seahawks in the NFC. The Packers host the Seahawks this Sunday so it will be a super huge win for the Packers (and super hard) and could really get our season rolling (Go Pack Go!)

mattsmith48
September 6th, 2017, 08:17 PM
My money is on the Giants to win the Super Bowl over the Patriots, because it would be really fun to see it happen again.

SethfromMI You forgot about the CFL.

SethfromMI
September 6th, 2017, 08:20 PM
My money is on the Giants to win the Super Bowl over the Patriots, because it would be really fun to see it happen again.

SethfromMI You forgot about the CFL.

Canadian Football League? I will edit it in my post.

Giants are one of those interesting teams because they got some weapons on offense and defense but you never know if they can put it together. It would be awesome to see them beat the Pats (though I would rather have my Packers beat the Pats haha) though a third time around I would almost think Brady would have to win

mattsmith48
September 6th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Other news on the NFL the Dolphins vs Buccaneers game as been reschedule to week 11 because of Hurricane Irma, both teams were schedule to have their bye on week 11 they'll have it this week instead.

SethfromMI
September 7th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Well I am going to guess even not many Chiefs fans had their team beating the Patriots. some bad injuries on both sides, but man, the Patriots just did not look good. their at home, expected to win big and not only is the Patriots defense sloppy but even Tom Brady did not look quite like the Tim Brady we have seen in the past. I am not saying we will not see the real Tom Brady this season but that being said, QB's age too and 40 is around the age where many begin to decline. My favorite QB of all time, Brett Favre, ironically had one of the best statistical years of his career at 40 (considering he won the MVP 3 times in a row in the 90's that is quite impressive). But a lot of it is because Favre finally had a great O-Line and a great running game. He also changed his style a little bit. Even Brady, who has kept himself healthy, has to age at some point. There will be a point where he is just not going to be as good and I am not going to over react from just one game, but it is something I would follow a little closer and just to see if he is going to get better or if he is going to continue to have struggles. Anyways, despite the Chiefs winning gives me a loss in some of the pools I am in, I think it is great for football to see them beat the Patriots at Foxboro

mattsmith48
September 8th, 2017, 12:36 AM
The Chiefs played with fire, they got lot of penalties.

SethfromMI
September 9th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Great weekend for college football. some huge and very close games (ND and Georgia came down to under the last two minutes. Oklahoma beat OSU. That is not surprising, but I think the manner in which they did is.I thought Buckeyes would win as much as I hate them. They won in Norman last year and they should have won this year being better and this time being in Columbus. My Wolverines won though not as impressively as they should have. Last week in my pool I only lost one game that I picked. Lost 3 already this week. oh well, good thing I am not betting money haha. sad about Hurricane Irma, not because it cancelled games but because of the destruction coming. Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by it

Mrsaxoman
September 10th, 2017, 02:13 AM
I completely agree Seth. It was a pretty good week. My Huskies won, even though I didn't get to watch much of it. And it was also great to see the Wolverines win, although I only saw the 4th quarter I did keep track of it until then. The WSU cougars also rallied from 21 points down to win it in the 3rd overtime which was a lot of fun to watch. I'm pretty excited for next week since I actually get to go to the Huskies game, and I'm sure it'll be another good week of college football.

mattsmith48
September 10th, 2017, 05:05 PM
In the CFL, week 12 ended with a rare triple header, I only got to watch the 1st game. Hamilton jumping to a early lead taking advantage of the Redblacks bad first half, Hamilton leading 23-4 at halftime, Ottawa trying to comeback good job by the Tiger-Cats to hold on, staying undefeated since the coaching change last week, good to see them bouncing back after starting the season 0-8 and thanks to a weak east division only 4 points out of a playoffs spot.

For what happen Friday great win for the Lions taking advantage of having two good QBs for the second time this year, finally ending the three game losing streak, sad to see Lulay go down tho, team suspect a torn ALC waiting MRI to confirm it, but the Lions expect that Lulay's season is over.

Jags won and I missed it :(

double posts merged. ~ Val

SethfromMI
September 10th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Jags won and I missed it :(

I blew a lot of the NFL games I am much better at picking college (only got two wrong all day with college compared with 5 or 6 for the NFL haha). I didn't watch the Jags game but they spanked Houston. I was wondering with the Jags QB situation and I figured Houston had the defense to stop them. are the Jags your team.

I had David Johnson for fantasy (I still do, even though he is injured). one of my best weapons injured in week 1. I wanted to cry.

my Packers looked good against Seattle. Some bad calls were made for sure, but Packers still would have won. We actually looked decent a lot of the game on defense which was a nice surprise. took us till the second half to get the offense woke up but when Rodgers did, he was typical Aaron Rodgers.

Lions woke up second half against Cardinals (:( David Johnson :( :( )

the game tonight might be interesting, though without OBJ, I don't think it will be as good. already had Cowboys winning, him being out certainly doesn't help the Giants chances of winning

Mrsaxoman
September 11th, 2017, 02:02 AM
I'm not saying the Seahawks would have won, but the officiating was really bad in that game and the ejection on Lane shouldn't have happened. It was a game changing call that could have changed the entire way the game would have gone. I know our offense didn't look great and especially the offensive line but that ejection was the wrong call.

teenboyNathan
September 11th, 2017, 09:38 PM
My Bengals fucked up big time. Looks like we're in for a long season

SethfromMI
September 11th, 2017, 10:47 PM
I'm not saying the Seahawks would have won, but the officiating was really bad in that game and the ejection on Lane shouldn't have happened. It was a game changing call that could have changed the entire way the game would have gone. I know our offense didn't look great and especially the offensive line but that ejection was the wrong call.

The ejection shouldn't have happened, but you Seahawks still would have lost. The game may have been closer but Green Bay was playing solid on Defense and Offense.

My Bengals fucked up big time. Looks like we're in for a long season

Man, I figured at home where the Bengals sometimes play tough they were going to win, but the Ravens D played crazy good. the Bengals are one of those teams which has a lot of talent but sadly never seems to be able to put anything together.

I know it is not nice to make fun of stuff, but I can't watch the second half of the Broncos and Chargers game, the announcers flat out stink and I don't know where they found that sideline reporter but he doesn't have the slightest clue what is going on. ESPN fired so many people and then this is what they give to the fans to watch

mattsmith48
September 12th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I know it is not nice to make fun of stuff, but I can't watch the second half of the Broncos and Chargers game, the announcers flat out stink and I don't know where they found that sideline reporter but he doesn't have the slightest clue what is going on. ESPN fired so many people and then this is what they give to the fans to watch

I loved the part where the referee said San Diego instead of Los Angeles.

SethfromMI
September 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I loved the part where the referee said San Diego instead of Los Angeles.

haha you knew it was going to happen. It is going to happen with the Rams. Speaking of the Rams, did you see how Chuck Pagano who faced the Rams last weekend, called them the 49ers? At least the ref knew the Chargers were playing last night, Chuck didn't even know who he was playing. That's bad for a coach and maybe was one of the reasons why they lost haha (I know they prepared for the Rams or tried to anyways, but c'mon man)

mattsmith48
September 13th, 2017, 11:49 AM
haha you knew it was going to happen. It is going to happen with the Rams. Speaking of the Rams, did you see how Chuck Pagano who faced the Rams last weekend, called them the 49ers? At least the ref knew the Chargers were playing last night, Chuck didn't even know who he was playing. That's bad for a coach and maybe was one of the reasons why they lost haha (I know they prepared for the Rams or tried to anyways, but c'mon man)

Like they showed on Sportscentre he's just taking a head start on congratulating teams for beating them

zWkNgZPFZXE

mattsmith48
September 14th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Big news from the CFL, the CFL and CFLPA have announced today that starting now contact practice during the regular season have been eliminated and that starting next year the length of the regular season will be increased from 20 weeks to 21 weeks to give every team a 3rd bye week. League says this will increase safety and will give more rest and recovery time to the players.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-player-safety-eliminate-contact-increase-schedule-1.4288079

SethfromMI
September 14th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Bengals already cost me. They use to be somewhat hard to beat at home. and then it was against the Texans, which in reality, as bad as both are, it was the toss of a coin. still, unless it is against the Browns, I am going to try not to be picking the Bengals anymore this season. last year we actually had some decent games on Thursday. Last week to kick off was pretty good, but tonight's game sucked and next Thursday is not going to get any better

mattsmith48
September 15th, 2017, 12:18 AM
Bengals are the first team to not score a TD in their first two home game of the season since 1939.

BlackParadePixie
September 18th, 2017, 10:51 PM
lol Chargers are terrible still, and have no fan base in L.A. Now even less people will root for them if they keep losing. I hope Spanos chokes on his own tears from all of this humiliation.

mattsmith48
September 18th, 2017, 10:59 PM
lol Chargers are terrible still, and have no fan base in L.A. Now even less people will root for them if they keep losing. I hope Spanos chokes on his own tears from all of this humiliation.

This is what happens when you only want to making money and move a team without one second thinking if the market can and will support a team, let alone two.

SethfromMI
September 19th, 2017, 08:25 PM
This is what happens when you only want to making money and move a team without one second thinking if the market can and will support a team, let alone two.

and the real thing of it is, the NFL team/s (I know at least the Rams were once in LA) which were there before didn't succeed. It is why the Rams moved to St. Louis. It is just not an NFL city. College football yes. NBA yes. NFL? no and it wasn't because they had no team. I think the majority of NFL fans who are in LA are fans of teams outside of LA. Whether Raiders or 49ers or from everywhere else in the country since so many people from to LA from all over. unless one of those two teams start becoming super successful, they're never going to have a large fan base there. at least I don't see it happening.

mattsmith48
September 19th, 2017, 08:53 PM
and the real thing of it is, the NFL team/s (I know at least the Rams were once in LA) which were there before didn't succeed. It is why the Rams moved to St. Louis. It is just not an NFL city. College football yes. NBA yes. NFL? no and it wasn't because they had no team. I think the majority of NFL fans who are in LA are fans of teams outside of LA. Whether Raiders or 49ers or from everywhere else in the country since so many people from to LA from all over. unless one of those two teams start becoming super successful, they're never going to have a large fan base there. at least I don't see it happening.

I think the only one who have enough of a fan base in LA is the Raiders. If they were to move a team there it should have been the Raiders.

I think the NFL is getting what they deserve after spending the last two decades threatening to move almost half the teams to LA if those teams didn't get a new free stadium from the tax payers. The Rams and Chargers had a good fan base and following in their former city, same with the Raiders they are one of the most popular teams in the NFL, but because they play in a piece a shit stadium, sometimes literally thanks to the sewer problems they've had over the past couple years, and they are too cheap to build a new one they are moving in Vegas, because money.

mattsmith48
September 24th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Whats with all the upsets this week?

SethfromMI
September 24th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Whats with all the upsets this week?

man in both college football and the NFL there were upsets left and right. I am not sure. it is just one of those weird weeks. it is early still in both college football land the NFL. sometimes it takes a couple of teams to wake up and really show what they can do. injuries for some teams begin to pile up. then some of the games, the favorite just gets caught napping and are taking to the woodshed for it. rough week for picking though haha

jasondrums
September 29th, 2017, 11:21 PM
1. This USC/Washington State game is pretty good.
2. Penn State being so good after the BS they pulled pisses me off. The NCAA should have wiped that football program off the face of the earth.

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 08:07 AM
1. This USC/Washington State game is pretty good.
2. Penn State being so good after the BS they pulled pisses me off. The NCAA should have wiped that football program off the face of the earth.

I didn't watch the USC game but wow what an upset. It would have been a great game to watch.

I agree with the frustration about Penn State. when the news came out about what happened, I remembered thinking their program should have received the sports death penalty. I hate it when people try to defend Joe Paterno. I guess the only thing I will say now is the players who are playing are innocent in the matter and the coaches and people who were involved are either in jail, dead, or no longer have anything to do with the program. still, the sports death penalty would have indeed been a very fitting punishment

Mrsaxoman
September 30th, 2017, 01:53 PM
I didn't watch the USC game but wow what an upset. It would have been a great game to watch.

I agree with the frustration about Penn State. when the news came out about what happened, I remembered thinking their program should have received the sports death penalty. I hate it when people try to defend Joe Paterno. I guess the only thing I will say now is the players who are playing are innocent in the matter and the coaches and people who were involved are either in jail, dead, or no longer have anything to do with the program. still, the sports death penalty would have indeed been a very fitting punishment

Then USC/WSU game was a really fun game to watch. I was only able to actually watch the second half but it was great.

I haven’t been able to watch ESPN much this week so I actually have no idea what happened with Penn State.

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Then USC/WSU game was a really fun game to watch. I was only able to actually watch the second half but it was great.

I haven’t been able to watch ESPN much this week so I actually have no idea what happened with Penn State.

few years ago? it was found Jerry Sandusky had been raping boys for years and Penn State covered it up to protect their football program. you have never heard any of that?

Harrier
September 30th, 2017, 03:17 PM

The WSU/USC game was awesome! Ya the death penalty is stupid. The people at Penn State now did nothing wrong.

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 04:57 PM
The WSU/USC game was awesome! Ya the death penalty is stupid. The people at Penn State now did nothing wrong.

we're talking about when it happened which would have included now. children were molested. it isn't something to shrug your shoulders about. they shouldn't be playing because the program should have been shut down. they can't go back and do anything about it now as far as shutting it down. don't act like it is not a big deal because it is

Harrier
September 30th, 2017, 05:06 PM
we're talking about when it happened which would have included now. children were molested. it isn't something to shrug your shoulders about. they shouldn't be playing because the program should have been shut down. they can't go back and do anything about it now as far as shutting it down. don't act like it is not a big deal because it is

I wasnt. Not at all. Simply stated that THESE players/coaches didn't do anything wrong (the same thing YOU said in an earlier post). i would have NO problem if the NCAA gave Penn St. the "death penalty" cuz the death penalty isn't really death. They only last 1-4 years!!! I wiki'd it and this is what I found:

The death penalty is the popular term for the National Collegiate Athletic Association's power to ban a school from competing in a sport for at least one year. It is the harshest penalty that an NCAA member school can receive.

It has been implemented only five times:
The University of Kentucky basketball program for the 1952–53 season.[1]
The basketball program at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.
The Southern Methodist University football program for the 1987 season.
The Division II men's soccer program at Morehouse College for the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
The Division III men's tennis program at MacMurray College for the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons.

In addition to schools that received the "death penalty" from the NCAA, some schools voluntarily dropped sports programs for extended periods of time due to high-profile scandals. The most notable examples were in 1951, when Long Island University shut down its entire athletic program following the involvement of its men's basketball team in a point shaving scandal, and in the 1980s, when two other Division I men's basketball programs, at the University of San Francisco (1982) and Tulane University (1985), self-imposed "death penalties" after revelations of major NCAA violations. These "death penalties" lasted three and four seasons, respectively. The next self-imposed "death penalty" by a Division I school took place in 2015, when Western Kentucky University (WKU) shut down its men's and women's swimming and diving teams after an investigation into alleged hazing.

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 06:04 PM
I wasnt. Not at all. Simply stated that THESE players/coaches didn't do anything wrong (the same thing YOU said in an earlier post). i would have NO problem if the NCAA gave Penn St. the "death penalty" cuz the death penalty isn't really death. They only last 1-4 years!!! I wiki'd it and this is what I found:

The death penalty is the popular term for the National Collegiate Athletic Association's power to ban a school from competing in a sport for at least one year. It is the harshest penalty that an NCAA member school can receive.

It has been implemented only five times:
The University of Kentucky basketball program for the 1952–53 season.[1]
The basketball program at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.
The Southern Methodist University football program for the 1987 season.
The Division II men's soccer program at Morehouse College for the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
The Division III men's tennis program at MacMurray College for the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons.

In addition to schools that received the "death penalty" from the NCAA, some schools voluntarily dropped sports programs for extended periods of time due to high-profile scandals. The most notable examples were in 1951, when Long Island University shut down its entire athletic program following the involvement of its men's basketball team in a point shaving scandal, and in the 1980s, when two other Division I men's basketball programs, at the University of San Francisco (1982) and Tulane University (1985), self-imposed "death penalties" after revelations of major NCAA violations. These "death penalties" lasted three and four seasons, respectively. The next self-imposed "death penalty" by a Division I school took place in 2015, when Western Kentucky University (WKU) shut down its men's and women's swimming and diving teams after an investigation into alleged hazing.

you sounded indifferent in your post. and they can last more than a year to four, esp when children were being raped for decades. then people try to defend Paterno and the Penn State program it is truly disgusting. I still understand why people want to see it happen. it is not going to happen at this point. but when children were being raped, surely you can see why some people still want to see it happen.

Harrier
September 30th, 2017, 06:14 PM
you sounded indifferent in your post. and they can last more than a year to four, esp when children were being raped for decades. then people try to defend Paterno and the Penn State program it is truly disgusting. I still understand why people want to see it happen. it is not going to happen at this point. but when children were being raped, surely you can see why some people still want to see it happen.

Nope. Not really indifferent. At the time I thought it was the worst thing ever. I liked Penn State (sort of, I mean for a west coast person, I watched them). But I lost all respect for Paterno obv. I just haven't really thought much about them in 5-6 years. The program has sucked until this year. But I feel strongly that you don't punish other people for other people's mistakes! And i agree the NCAA CAN penalize them for as long as they want, I was just giving you facts that the so-called death penalty has only been used rarely and only for 1-4 years. Had they given the school the so-called death penalty it likely would be over by now. but again, ya, that assistant coach is a sicko and Paterno is as bad for knowing about it and covering it up.

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Nope. Not really indifferent. At the time I thought it was the worst thing ever. I liked Penn State (sort of, I mean for a west coast person, I watched them). But I lost all respect for Paterno obv. I just haven't really thought much about them in 5-6 years. The program has sucked until this year. But I feel strongly that you don't punish other people for other people's mistakes! And i agree the NCAA CAN penalize them for as long as they want, I was just giving you facts that the so-called death penalty has only been used rarely and only for 1-4 years. Had they given the school the so-called death penalty it likely would be over by now. but again, ya, that assistant coach is a sicko and Paterno is as bad for knowing about it and covering it up.

and that's the only point I was trying to make. I understand the rule, statue of limitations, all of that. but I also understand why people still feel so strongly the way they do. I will never, ever root or cheer for Penn State in anyway. it will forever be tainted, esp when the university is considering putting Paterno's statue back up if they haven't done so already. wasn't trying to start anything.

Harrier
September 30th, 2017, 06:24 PM
and that's the only point I was trying to make. I understand the rule, statue of limitations, all of that. but I also understand why people still feel so strongly the way they do. I will never, ever root or cheer for Penn State in anyway. it will forever be tainted, esp when the university is considering putting Paterno's statue back up if they haven't done so already. wasn't trying to start anything.

It's fine. I didn't hear they were thinking about putting the statue back up.

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 06:26 PM
It's fine. I didn't hear they were thinking about putting the statue back up.

I know many of the fans were pushing for it very strongly. I thought I read at some point (not recently) they university was considering it. I could have misread that part.

teenboyNathan
September 30th, 2017, 11:08 PM
I know many of the fans were pushing for it very strongly. I thought I read at some point (not recently) they university was considering it. I could have misread that part.

I think in like 15 years they'll put it back up because he is their greatest coach but not in the near future because the situation is still fresh in people's minds. And I do agree they should've gotten the death penalty

SethfromMI
September 30th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I think in like 15 years they'll put it back up because he is their greatest coach but not in the near future because the situation is still fresh in people's minds. And I do agree they should've gotten the death penalty

he sat by and let children be raped so they could keep playing football. he may not have raped nay children, but he allowed it to happen. he is a monster. maybe we should put statues of Hitler back up in Germany too. after all, he only helped kill 13 million innocent people in the concentration camps, the millions more that died in the war, but hey, he was a fine public speaker now wasn't he. Paterno is a monster for what he did.

Mrsaxoman
October 1st, 2017, 01:24 AM
few years ago? it was found Jerry Sandusky had been raping boys for years and Penn State covered it up to protect their football program. you have never heard any of that?

I really only started getting into college football the last couple years. And sports as a whole since my junior and senior year of highschool. So no, I hadn’t heard about it. But after reading through all the comments that is terrible. I understand giving them the death penalty but I would hate punishing the current students for it. They should have gotten it back when it happened though.

SethfromMI
October 1st, 2017, 10:17 AM
I really only started getting into college football the last couple years. And sports as a whole since my junior and senior year of highschool. So no, I hadn’t heard about it. But after reading through all the comments that is terrible. I understand giving them the death penalty but I would hate punishing the current students for it. They should have gotten it back when it happened though.

Well that's understandable. if you haven't heard of it you haven't heard of it. but when you have people who say, I know children got raped, but Paterno was still a good coach, when Paterno knew about what was going on and allowed it to happen in order to help save the football program, no, Paterno doesn't deserve anything. the only way he should be remembered is for his connection to Jerry Sandusky and what happened to so many boys who were raped. children were raped. raped. I don't give a fiddler's fart how talented he was as a coach he could have done so much more in order to protect those kids but he didn't. he may not have done the raping but the fact he didn't do everything he could have makes him pretty near as guilty.

BlackParadePixie
October 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM
SDSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 and 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w00t

BlackParadePixie
October 1st, 2017, 07:22 PM
lol chargers suck it up again

SethfromMI
October 1st, 2017, 07:26 PM
lol chargers suck it up again

aww poor Fiona. poor poor Fiona. you could always become a Packers fan, we're doing pretty good this season ;) :P

BlackParadePixie
October 2nd, 2017, 01:54 AM
aww poor Fiona. poor poor Fiona. you could always become a Packers fan, we're doing pretty good this season ;) :P
what'll you do for me :P

SethfromMI
October 2nd, 2017, 05:30 PM
what'll you do for me :P

anything you want ;) XD :P

besides, you get the chance to root for a team who wins :D haha

mattsmith48
October 4th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Danny Trevathan's suspension for attempt to murder with his helmet was reduced to one game, which is 15 games less than the penalty for smoking pot.

SethfromMI
October 12th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Danny Trevathan's suspension for attempt to murder with his helmet was reduced to one game, which is 15 games less than the penalty for smoking pot.

It may have been his "first offense" but that was a dirty, dirty, dirty, nasty hit. I am not just saying that as a Packers fan but it was horrifying to watch. you can wreck someone's life by doing that. And then to say he didn't celebrate or didn't mean too (I mean I realize he can't say it was on purpose but come on). still, Adams was back in the next game (thankfully) so considering it was his first offense, I guess I am ok with it.

I don't have a sympathy for pot smokers in the NFL. you sign a contract that says you can't do it. if you want to make the millions on your contract, you better not do it.

Anyways a court ruled to uphold Ezekiel Elliot's suspension for 6 games. I didn't follow this case as closely as Ray Rice or Greg Hardy, but I heard there was little to no evidence. While I agree with the NFL being harsh on cases it is clear and there is evidence, I think they have to be very careful on simple hearsay on how they make such a ruling. Yes, I think he is guilty, but there still needs to be some evidence (which maybe the police had, again, I didn't follow this story as closely).

mattsmith48
October 13th, 2017, 09:15 AM
It may have been his "first offense" but that was a dirty, dirty, dirty, nasty hit. I am not just saying that as a Packers fan but it was horrifying to watch. you can wreck someone's life by doing that. And then to say he didn't celebrate or didn't mean too (I mean I realize he can't say it was on purpose but come on). still, Adams was back in the next game (thankfully) so considering it was his first offense, I guess I am ok with it.

I don't have a sympathy for pot smokers in the NFL. you sign a contract that says you can't do it. if you want to make the millions on your contract, you better not do it.

Football is a sport that is really tough on someone's body, I rather have them smoke pot to relieve them from the pain than abusing pain killers.

Anyways a court ruled to uphold Ezekiel Elliot's suspension for 6 games. I didn't follow this case as closely as Ray Rice or Greg Hardy, but I heard there was little to no evidence. While I agree with the NFL being harsh on cases it is clear and there is evidence, I think they have to be very careful on simple hearsay on how they make such a ruling. Yes, I think he is guilty, but there still needs to be some evidence (which maybe the police had, again, I didn't follow this story as closely).

I don't really know what happen for Elliot, but I'm gonna say this, if you want to show you are against domestic violence by making an example of someone probably should have been the guy who knock out his girlfriend in a hotel elevator, on video.

SethfromMI
October 14th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Football is a sport that is really tough on someone's body, I rather have them smoke pot to relieve them from the pain than abusing pain killers.

I don't really know what happen for Elliot, but I'm gonna say this, if you want to show you are against domestic violence by making an example of someone probably should have been the guy who knock out his girlfriend in a hotel elevator, on video.

um you do know Ray Rice never played another NFL game right? that is who your referring to. I am pretty sure he was suspended for the full season and then no one hired him.

and you don't understand with the pot thing. if I gave you 10 million dollars and said you have to be at work at 9 every morning and you show up at 2 PM saying you needed more sleep and you can do whatever you want and still expect to get the 10 million, it doesn't work that way. Josh Gordon doesn't smoke pot because of pain. he smokes pot because he is a pothead and would rather smoke pot than play football. if the contract says no pot, if you sign than contract, you HAVE to live up to what you AGREED to or else FACE the CONSEQUENCES when they catch you breaking the agreement you agreed to in the first place. Until the the rules change, they are what they are. I see the point you are trying to make, but you can't excuses for them. No one puts a gun to their head and says I will blow your brains out if you don't sign. they agree to it, they know the rules about smoking pot, they can know what will happen to them if they continue to do so.

mattsmith48
October 14th, 2017, 01:46 PM
um you do know Ray Rice never played another NFL game right? that is who your referring to. I am pretty sure he was suspended for the full season and then no one hired him.

He was suspended 2 games than when the second video got leaked the NFL tried to suspend him 4 more games, but he won the appeal because you can't punish someone twice for the same offence. I think that's when the Ravens released him and the 31 other teams agreed to not sign him.

SethfromMI
October 14th, 2017, 06:18 PM
He was suspended 2 games than when the second video got leaked the NFL tried to suspend him 4 more games, but he won the appeal because you can't punish someone twice for the same offence. I think that's when the Ravens released him and the 31 other teams agreed to not sign him.

well I def agree his initial punishment should have been more. and I also know the main reason he did not get a job was because he was no longer talented enough at the position for his age. Greg Hardy got a second chance with Dallas only because Dallas thought he could produce. when they realized he was no longer worth the trouble he brought, he did not get resigned after his first year there.